1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Vendor
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wisconsin Built 1911 Commander Part 1: We are now starting another 1911 build. This one will be a .45 ACP, commander length. I will keep posting parts of the building process = so you can follow along if you like. Here we are sharpening (pointing up) the checkering on the front strap. It is checkered at 25 lines per inch. You might ask why I would start here in the building process. As many of you know, hand filing checkering can be very touchy and easy to mess up. If I were to mess up at this point it would be a lot less painful than if I had already put hours of work into the frame.
Hand Finger Cosmetics Gesture Gadget

·
Vendor
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · · Business
While we’re waiting for the next installment, could you tell us the name of the single row file that you’re using in the top pic? Also, is this file te tool used to get the tapering detail in the vertices cuts at the top of the front strap?
The file is actually one I have modified myself. It was originally purchased from Brownells. The vertical cuts in the frame are mostly from the machining process. The front checkering is machined in a fixture at a depth of 50% before I start filing. This significantly reduces the time needed to checker the front strap but still retains the quality of a hand filed checkering. This way I also have perfectly straight lines to follow. In my opinion this produces a result that is the best of both worlds (by hand/by machine).

·
Known Agitator
3,704 Posts
You have way more skill and patience than I do sir. Details like that is where I would fry a frame. I pay to have that stuff done, but awesome to see the details of how it is done.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts