1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a 1911 addict with 5 - 1911s (alot for me). My buddy has a Colt 1911 pistol that was given to him by his father. His father used it in the Korean War. My friend is 73 and has had it for over 40 years. He says that it is all original. He broke it out and has shot it yesterday at the range with me. It didn't miss a beat. This gun probably dates back from the mid-40's to early 50's. I am sure it has some value, but we don't know how to determine what that value is. He wants to sell it and get a more modern target pistol or 2.

Can I get some help in identifying and authenticating this gun as well as determining what the actual value is, so that we can sell it. I can get the s/n from him. I just don't have it right at this writing.

I can get some photos as well. All this will be posted when I get them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob

·
Custom Pistolsmith
711 Posts
Sure post some photos and the serial number and we can get the year of production

·
Registered
319 Posts
The last Colt 1911 was made in 1919, and the last 1911A1 in 1945. Maybe it is a Government Model, which would be marked on the right side of the frame above the trigger.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Part of me hates to see a family heirloom sold, but it's his gun, his choice.

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the photos. The more information I can get the better. He is trying to decide whether he should get a letter from Colt based on the value of the gun. Retail value would be great if someone knew it.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
That’s a nice Colt. However... not an antique. It is a series 70 built well after the Korean War.
Also, not military issue.
I have one just like it that I paid under $600.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy says he has had it since 1965 so how could it be an '81 manufacture date?? He received it when he left for college. Something seems off.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He thinks he could be mistaken then because I got the same thing from Colt. What is the gun worth? Really. No lowballing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Maybe the ol' boy has a different pistol used during the Korean War, but this one sure wasn't. Or maybe someone helped himself to his military pistol and left this one in its place? I've seen things like that happen. And maybe, as already suggested, he's just mistaken.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts