Any Advantages in a Full Length Guide Rod in a Commander?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Nalajr, Feb 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

I have a Colt Commander that is listed on the books as an XSE, but it didn't get made as such. It has parts that were meant to be on a standard Commander like the sights and grip safety. It also came with a full length guide rod and spring guide. I have always wondered if there were any advantages of this type of guide rod and spring guide over the standard type of guide rod and spring plug.

Can you all help explain the purpose of having the extended guide rod setup instead of what was used for 100 years?

I'm asking cause from time to time I will jot down things that I'd like to add or change on my faux XSE Commander and I go back and forth on whether to leave this part alone or replace it with the same type of setup that my Colt NRM has on it.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you all once again for your time and any help you care to give me.
    Larry

2. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    My opinion ,and I stress “opinion” is that some marketing guy came up with another way to squeeze another buck out of us enthusiast. Some say the guns run smoother, I believe some claim more accuracy.

I have both Flgr, and gi setup, and I don’t notice a difference in performance. It is just a lot faster for me to assemble and disassemble a gi setup. This also allows me to go for the fluff in custom mail monogrammed plugs and thick bushings.

Pick your Kool Aid :)

3. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    It allegedly does a couple of things, none which I have ever had trouble with. Spend that 20 bucks on a nice pizza instead.

- prevents recoil spring binding up
    - adds weight to help with recoil reduction???
    - can never accidentally knock the gun out of battery.
    - no recoil plug flying into your eye during disassembly (also keeps the slide together once disassembled)

4. TPC

TPC Active Member

May 5, 2017
    As someone once said, there are 99 stories in the naked city and this ain't one of them. There is no good reason to put a full length guide rod in a Commander, unless you have excess cash you are trying to burn to avoid taxes/ex-wives/etc. They do nothing to improve reliability or accuracy, and just make it harder to take your gun apart.

Badabing11 and UBOATDOC like this.
  5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I have one piece FLGRs in several of my 1911s, including a Commander. I find that they run a bit smoother with them. I use the Wilson version that is made slightly short so you can turn the turn the bushing with it in place. I don't think it adds any appreciable amount of time to disassembly or assembly, I just take the slide off and put it on as a unit if the gun I'm working on has one. No big deal.

6. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    It do add a little weight but doesn't seem to do anything else other than make it harder to field strip. Some think it looks cool.

7. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    The shorter the slide the less reliable they are. I have 1 or 2 piece FLGR's on all of my 5" guns & a 2 piece FLGR on my 6" Hoag. Considering that a Commander size gun is generally ideal for a house gun, SD gun, or carry gun I probably would not use a FLGR on it,m and I darn sure would not run one in an Officers size gun.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have three XSE LW Commanders. A 2006 in 45ACP on top. A 2009 in 38 Super in the middle. And a 2015 in 9mm Luger on the bottom.

[​IMG]

All the XSE Commanders I have seen in 45 ACP came with a FLGR. On the other hand the ones in 38 Super and 9mm did not. Also it is interesting that the Colt/Talo Clapp Commander I bought in 2013 (in 45ACP) does NOT have a FLGR.

[​IMG]

I don't see any advantage to them but do leave them in a pistol if it is a range toy and the gun came that way from the factory. Again one thought is if you use them buy an extra holy plug in case you launch the original off somewhere. There do not seem to be any standards on the diameter of the FLGRs and another holy plug may not work.

[​IMG]

Mike Meints likes this.
  9. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I've seen this debated several times in several forums as well as my local clubs, it always seems to come down to nothing more than personal preference.

limbkiller likes this.
  10. SRTCOP

SRTCOP Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2018
    The FLGR is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

11. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I know this is year old. I would say if your running FLGR. The 1/4” Flat-Wire version would have benefit for commander to officer size. The ISMI Flat wire kits froM EGW solved my issues with my Kimber CDP Ultra. Also the benefits of shooting wider range of ammunition on flat wire. Like just changing my ismi springs yearly. Ismi says yearly or 40,000 rounds, so since I carry will do yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I know this is year old. I would say if your running FLGR. The 1/4” Flat-Wire version would have benefit for commander to officer size. The ISMI Flat wire kits froM EGW solved my issues with my Kimber CDP Ultra. Also the benefits of shooting wider range of ammunition on flat wire. Like just changing my ismi springs yearly. Ismi says yearly or 40,000 rounds, so since I carry will do yearly.

13. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    If JMB had thought the 1911 needed a FLGR...

He would of made it that way! images.jpeg

OPENLAKE likes this.
  14. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    This is commander talks not the original government production 1911. I believe he was dead before the production of the commander. So if that fact is true John had nothing to do with the development of the commander. Like saying the original V8 motor is better and more efficient then modern V8 motors. This is ignorance that a original design can not be improved on.
    Hands down conventional GI short works in Government 1911. When you start shorting from there are problems that need to be addressed. Remove GI and dual RSA for all my commanders and officer size 1911, with EGW flatwire kits. I also like that I can pull off the complete upper assembly with EGW FLGR.

15. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    IMHO
    It’s an answer to a nonexistent
    problem just like a shock buff.

16. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    As far as recoil in the 1911 is concerned...
    I see little difference in operation between a GM and a Commander. (my opinion)
    Yes, they are different ,but...
    Not enough, for me to want to stray to far from the old Master's design?
    Something that might need to be noted here is that when problems occur with the commercial made 1911...
    A lot of times a new in spec, quality, after market part, made like JMB intended, fixes the problem!!!

17. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    The FLGR is a solution in search of a problem. Other than making good fishing weights, they are useless.

18. OPENLAKE

OPENLAKE Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I have both and cannot see a performance difference. Don't spend the money to make a change.

19. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I endless debate reopened. Lol.
    Just be clear I’m not taking about standard junk piano round wire spring on a FLGR. Thats just adding useless weight. I’m taking about 1/4” FLGR that use chrome silicon flat-Wire springs by ISMI. I weighed classic GI 26.2oz vs 1/4”FLGR 26.7oz.
    [​IMG]

20. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted