1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to hear your experiences with the handgun licensing process in Broome County. May be headed there and need to learn how to get my current handguns legal up there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Former Broome County resident here. Been gone for 27 years now but had a pistol permit when I lived there. The funny thing was, at that time (I imagine it's still the same), the pistol permits were signed by the county judge. The Broome County judge was my God-father (i.e. my Dad's first cousin), so he was the official that signed my permit. Back then, the permits were "governed" by each county. Some counties limited the number of pistols/revolvers you could put on a permit, while others had no limit, and some were marked "For target shooting and hunting purposes only" or some such thing, while other weren't. All this to say, the rules pertaining to the permit issued by one county, might be different from the rules for another. Not sure if that is still the same. To get them to NY, I imagine you would have to leave them with someone out of state until you obtain the permit, then go and retrieve them and bring them into the state. If you don't want to drive them into the state yourself, you could find an FFL that is in NY to whom you could ship them, who would store them until you obtained the pistol permit. The bad thing is, if you go through an FFL, you'll have to go through the whole "purchasing" process again, i.e. filling out the form 4473 just as if you were purchasing them new to get them back from the FFL.

Like I said, it's been a while, but I hope that info is still accurate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh, yes, I’ve been gone 30 years and all the bad memories are coming back. I swear the State or Fed courts had to get involved one time because the Sheriffs office was sitting on, or throwing away, applications. Am I remembering that correctly?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Jefr00, you can transfer the guns to an ffl here in NY, who'll hold them until your permit is approved.
You can download the pistol permit paperwork from the Sheriff's website and get the ball rolling.
Turnaround time is a lot better than it once was, Broome County Sheriff's Dept is pro-2A and pretty quick (in NY terms) getting permits issued.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the process is a bit easier. I don't remember any stories of the County Sheriffs making obtaining pistol permits difficult in while I was in NY, but while I was in CA that type of thing was going on with issuing carry permits. I'm happy I left that place!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.