1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wear and sunlight will fade case hardening colors. I would probably do the frame with Ren wax.
+1 on this, or just keep it oiled. Lacquer is an effective protectant, but look horrible IMO and also wears quickly on anything but single shots, which is a favorite past time for me. Other opinions may vary, but I think it makes an otherwise elegant finish look cheap. I would LOVE to own a COLT SAA with a 4 3/4 barrel. Congratulations!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Having shot mine a few times now I have a few observations. One is is it normal to get some small burn spots on the outside edge of the cylinder, I’m guessing it is just normal from the barrel cylinder gap flash hitting the top strap. Although never noticed this on other revolvers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
438AF8DA-8D05-4681-B02C-BFC7A0B815AA.jpeg
Small burn marks on the cylinder in between the fluted area. Most of it cleans up but some small spots remain and I don’t want to scrub to hard on them.

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
"Burn" marks are Carbon. Use a strong solvent and cloth.

Reactions: switchback

·
Registered
457 Posts
Had a NIB 4 3/4" barreled 45 Colt caliber SAA that was Blue with CCH frame. Gave it to good friend of mine who still cowboys in Wyoming......
I do still have some nickle ones though...This is my grail SAA....
Colt SAA, 4 3/4", 45 cal., fully engraved with one piece Ivories, extra 45 acp cylinder.
Engraved Colt SAA 2.JPG

TR

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
5A694F93-649F-4852-AB9D-92AEFFE386F6.jpeg
C4CD97AC-43D5-4BFF-AF06-0B97950DE2A3.jpeg
09907D42-34FF-437D-923C-D884E94FCD2E.jpeg
382824D5-3411-49AB-8A58-0DEB31952C7A.jpeg
Carbon comes off pretty easily but what’s left looks like bare metal. Hard to see on the pics but looks like rub marks down to bare metal. Maybe 50 rounds fired. Cylinder is not dragging anywhere when on the bench, maybe flexing when fired???

·
Registered
352 Posts
D9393227-51A5-4349-83D3-8F8396DB32B2.jpeg
My first gun 1975,I was a 14 yr old kid who was obsessed with the old west.Its a 22 buntline special.Just cleaned all of them and reburied them so a group photo is the best I can do for now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Love SAA. For now, just have the Italian copies. One day, I will trade one of my war-time 1911 for a Colt SAA.

Armi San Marco - 357

Uberti - 45LC

·
Registered
901 Posts
View attachment 657455 View attachment 657457 View attachment 657459 View attachment 657461 Carbon comes off pretty easily but what’s left looks like bare metal. Hard to see on the pics but looks like rub marks down to bare metal. Maybe 50 rounds fired. Cylinder is not dragging anywhere when on the bench, maybe flexing when fired???
Looks like you lost some bluing. To me it looks like wear. I haven’t seen that in a SAA but I am supreme novice. I would have a gunsmith take a look at that. Contact Jim Martin over at the Colt forum. I would also contact joe Perkins at classic single action. He has done some work for me and he is outstanding. Turnaround for gunsmith work is pretty quick but you have to be on a waiting list for grips. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Looks like you lost some bluing. To me it looks like wear. I haven’t seen that in a SAA but I am supreme novice. I would have a gunsmith take a look at that. Contact Jim Martin over at the Colt forum. I would also contact joe Perkins at classic single action. He has done some work for me and he is outstanding. Turnaround for gunsmith work is pretty quick but you have to be on a waiting list for grips. Good luck

Glad to hear a thumbs up for Classic Single Actions, I have no experience with them but I have been thinking about sending it out there for a trigger job and just have him give it a thorough checkup to. Just can’t see how the cylinder would wear there as it seems to have enough clearance.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Glad to hear a thumbs up for Classic Single Actions, I have no experience with them but I have been thinking about sending it out there for a trigger job and just have him give it a thorough checkup to. Just can’t see how the cylinder would wear there as it seems to have enough clearance.
He did some work on my USFA. The cylinder wouldn’t lock up tight and he fixed that. I think a spring broke or something like that. Easy fix. He also worked on the action in my Uberti and retimed the barrel. Before when my dad had it, the gunsmith just bent the sight. It shot perfect that way for decades but it wasn’t t he correct fix. Now it looks and shoots great. He also put some snake grips in my guns. His grip work is beyond incredible IMO. Just perfect in every way. I would definitely recommend him. I will be sending my colt SAA next year to have some grips done and some action work. I want it to function as smooth as my USFA.
IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

·
Registered
901 Posts
IMG_3458.jpg

This is my 3rd gen Colt SAA. I will be getting Joe at Single Action to do my action job on two colts as well as new grips. I will be getting a 4 3/4 Colt SAA sometime before my number comes up. His work isn’t cheap but the quality is outstanding.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wow, those grips are way cool.
I like them. I am a huge man w no name fan so all of my 5 1/2 Colts/clone will have snake grips. They are solid silver inlays in rubbed walnut grips. They are perfectly shaped and feel sublime in the hand. I even had them put on my Cimarron 1851 navy no name conversion.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts