Any Dual Sport or Adventure Riders Here?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Olympus, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    I think I’ve been bitten by the dual sport motorcycle bug by accident! I’ve got a Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV and Ranger 900 UTV and my son has a little Polaris 50. We ride together a lot! My wife recently wanted something of her own to ride and said she wanted a dirt bike. She used to ride a Harley Sportster. I thought since we ride a lot of gravel roads, that maybe a dual sport bike would be a good option for her so I went on the hunt. I found her a super clean 1989 KLR250 and bought it. Brought it home and quickly found that she couldn’t even close to touch the ground when on the bike. She’s 5’2” and short-legged! And it was kick start only which she obviously couldn’t do. So I cleaned it up and flipped it for a nice little profit, but rode it around myself for a while and really enjoyed myself.

I went back on the hunt for something smaller for her and found an even cleaner 2000 Yamaha TW200 and bought it. She can touch with the balls of her feet and agreed that it’s a keeper. At first I thought it was a little silly for me to ride, being 6’1” and 215lbs. But I have to admit that I’m crazy about that little bike now! I love to ride it! It weighs nothing hardly and just so dang fun to ride! I got it licensed and have ridden on the paved roads some. It cruises easily at 45mph.

Now I’ve got the bug and have really been thinking about selling a few guns and buying myself a dual sport bike, something that’s still crazy fun to ride, but something that can handle 55-60mph without feeling like I’m flogging it.

Anyone else ride dual sports here?

2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    I had a BMW GS1100 several years ago, what fun! I was scared to death that I'd knock one of the cylinders off on the trail, but all was good. That was a tall sucker also.

3. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    You have a pic of the Yamahammer?

4. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Just a quick one I took to show my dad after I bought it. I still need to clean it up really good and get some better pics.

[​IMG]

5. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I rode a Yamaha Tenerè 600cc for many years and loved it. Didn’t love the very high CG or kickstarting a single pot. Sort of bike that did the same speed on tar or dirt, loaded or not. Huge amounts of low rev torque.

Toured central Italy for a few weeks on a Honda TransAlp, again a 600cc but this time a twin with electric start. My 76 year old FIL rides one of the newer ones as his daily commuter,especially now they’ve bored it out to 700cc.

I guess a lot depends on where you’re looking to ride it - if mainly gnarly trails, then look at the 350cc range, if covering big miles (esp 2 up and loaded), then there are a great selection of Japanese liter bikes - Versys, V-strom, etc. The Bimmer GS 1200 Adventure and the Ducati Multistrada are both amazing machines, if you like mortgage payments.

The sweet spot seems to be in the 650cc range, big enough to cruise but still light and nimble enough for dirt. Again, both Kawasaki and Suzuki have great affordable options here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWoo45 and Scaramouche like this.
  6. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Yeah, I’m thinking about the Suzuki DRZ400 or DR650. I’d be riding mostly gravel roads, trails, and woods with the occasional 2-lane paved road trip.

7. Troutman27

Troutman27 Active Member

Feb 10, 2019
    The drz 400 is a great deal and very strong. I’ve had a few from Honda xr650, drz 400, husqvarna 511, and a couple more but the drz 400 is the best price, great power to weight makes it handle like a dream. There are lots of dual sports out there now. Ktm makes a great one.

FWoo45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted