close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any feedback on the Lipsey’s 3.75” Bisley Blackhawk?

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by awp101, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. awp101

awp101 Shakin' it here Boss! Supporting Addict

Jan 12, 2017
    wcanterbury likes this.
  2. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Good looking gun.

awp101 likes this.

3. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Nice six shooter....

awp101 likes this.
  4. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm a lipseys dealer if you decide you want one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

awp101 likes this.
  5. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Not that model. Do have a Vaquero. Nice.

In general, Ruger makes great revolvers.

Glock2740, awp101 and Harleyvato like this.
  6. Marine24

Marine24 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I’ve got it and it is an excellent revolver. Fit and finish is very good and always like the Bisley grip frame to tame heavy 45 Colt loads.

Heavy 255 Gr Keith loads are my preference. I use a cross draw setup and good pair with my 454 Casull Bisley Super Blackhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2013
    Do they make a Bisley Vaquero version of that? I would be interested in one of those.

awp101 likes this.
  8. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    This is mine

[​IMG]

Glock2740 and awp101 like this.
  9. awp101

Jan 12, 2017
    @Marine24 , how is the balance? It looks well balanced but I know the feel is a subjective thing.

Thanks for the offer BBP!

Yes they do. I've got a half dozen or so between their single and double actions. Right now, Ruger is really the only one putting out revolvers I'm actually interested purchasing.

I don't think so at this point. I know the Bisley Vaquero has been released as a new model but I think it's just in the standard barrel lengths. Nothing a chop saw couldn't fix...:D

WC145 and gps man like this.
  10. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    I saw that there's a new dedicated .45acp (no .45LC cyl) Vaquero with a 3.75" barrel but it has a birdshead grip. I've got good size hands and I don't know how comfortable that would be to shoot. If it was a Bisley I'd have bought one as soon as I saw it. Comes in blue or polished stainless. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...rs/Ruger+VAQUERO+45ACP+3.75+SS+BIRDSHEAD+GRIP

Can the grip frames be changed on these guns?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Balance and shoot ability is very good. It does look a little grip heavy but actually works well with the caliber.

awp101 likes this.
  12. awp101

Jan 12, 2017
    WC, The birdshead can be had in .45 ACP or .45 Colt from what I've seen and you should be able to swap a Bisley grip frame, hammer and trigger onto with with a minimum of effort.

In fact, that's sort of what started me down this rabbit hole a couple of weekends ago. I ran across a clip of the OK Corral gunfight in Tombstone and thought it would be neat to sort of replicate Doc's birdshead (without spending $1,200+ on the Cimarron rig). The plan was to pick up whichever I found a better deal on and then pick up the other cylinder to be fitted. If I didn't like the birdshead, a plow handle grip frame is an easy change to make.

It's taken a couple of weeks but I've come back to myself and remembered to focus on what I like and can use instead of "Golly gee whiz that's neato!" and it ends up sitting. SAA/Vaquero sights and my eyes don't play well together so Blackhawks are my preference. The Lipsey's 4 5/8" flat top convertibles in stainless appear to have dried up for the time being so I started changing the wording in my searches ran across these.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Bisley configuration. I love the hammer but the grip looks like...well, it looks like an appendage hanging off the frame. Because I'm so used to the plow handle, the ones I've handled feel weird BUT I've never actually fired one. If push comes to shove and I can't make the Bisley grip work for me, the fix is just a grip frame, hammer and trigger swap away.

WC145 likes this.
  13. awp101

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks!

14. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Bisley is definitely more about function than design but can’t imagine shooting a big bore single action revolver without one.

At least is doesn’t look like the old Colt Bisley.

WC145 likes this.
  15. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    WC145 likes this.
  16. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks for that info. I've done a little bit of investigating this morning and it turns out that Bisley grips frames are readily available, Midway has them in SS for $110. This is becoming more and more tempting. Just wish I didn't see everything as what I want it to be instead of being satisfied with what it is (insert sigh here), gun buying/ownership would be way easier and less expensive.:rolleyes:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted