Any idea what this single shot pistol is???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Babboonbobo, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    A friend from work has this “pistol” and is looking for info from anyone anywhere that might shine a light on what it is.
    What I do know is it is a single shot 22 and there are absolutely no markings on it anywhere. (Not even a serial number) He believes it may have been a pattern for S&W as his grandfather was a pattern maker for a company that did work for S&W and that my friends is as much as I know! Can you fill in the blanks with more details? Have an idea of value? Is it legal?

6F17EA00-E8CC-4459-B398-2124CA62B464.jpeg 7B398BD9-62AE-4299-8925-AA6712653C5E.jpeg A48AF155-59DD-487D-AF68-84A41C7CAA18.jpeg 66144907-8DC7-4AA7-A4A4-F2668CB1D05D.jpeg

KS95B40, Kip, rhjeepdriver and 2 others like this.
  2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I dont know, but the grip & trigger guard looks like an old H & R

KS95B40, Mike A and Babboonbobo like this.

3. mtodd

mtodd 1911 lover Supporting Addict

Oct 8, 2012
    As for the lack of serial number: serial numbers did not become mandatory until 22 October 1968

Babboonbobo likes this.
  4. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    Ok so it’s more than likely older than that. Sure seems to be anyways so that would explain that quandary.

5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    That is one Cool. Single Shot, Short rifles? :confused:

Never seen anything like it. Good luck on your hunt.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    That is very cool right there. That is one heck of a long barrel for a pistol..Through a google search I do see a few older S&W that it resembles..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    KS95B40, Babboonbobo and Cop_Out like this.
  7. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    It looks like it wants to be a S&W model 38 top-break. Maybe post on the S&W forum and see what they have to say?
    I see design similarities in the trigger area, rear sight, and hammer.
    8788095_3.jpg

8. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    Looks like an H&R but the barrel looks cobbled together from two. They later made the USRA model in single shot, S&W made the Model 3 and Colt made the Camp Perry model for bullseye shooting.

Babboonbobo and Scaramouche like this.
  9. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    @Babboonbobo
    Hope this helps. Found this in my 2018 catalog of firearms price book. Under Harrington and Richardson. There is no photo of the gun in the book, only an explanation of it. The gun in the photo is for the next model description. Pretty sure it’s the H&R single target.
    CE577E38-AD96-4347-9803-A665F42AB99F.jpeg

KS95B40, Mike A, Babboonbobo and 2 others like this.
  10. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    It also appears as though the barrel was extended by adding the 10 inch barrel to a shorter original configuration as previously mentioned by @Greg Derr

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Babboonbobo likes this.
  11. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I think you have a small shop made copy of a Smith & Wesson Second Model Single Shot, built on a foreign copy of a Smith and Wesson revolver, probably of Spanish origin. Likely something Grandpa knocked together in his spare time at the pattern shop.

The shape of the hammer and trigger, and especially the trigger guard held on by screws with exposed heads, are characteristic of European knockoffs, and not found on American guns like Smith, HR, and IJ that I have seen.

Do you know if Grandpa were lefthanded? The nickel is much more worn on the left side of the trigger, trigger guard, and frame.

Dollar value approximately zilch, family heirloom value with connection to Grandpa's job, priceless.

Mike A, Babboonbobo and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    Thank you fellas! Way more info than he had before and I didn’t think it would be worth much if anything if he was curious.
    I’ll pass on the info and see if there is any way for me to lay hands on it to see if the barrel has been added to or replaced with a longer one. I can get in there with my borescope to see if there’s a seam?

Mike A and Scaramouche like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted