Any Knot Tying Gurus In the House??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nalajr, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.
    Me and a buddy of mine as of late have been fooling around with learning different knots. I started with fishing stuff and then hit a couple free apps to learn others. I find it kinda fun. Some of them are a chore to duplicate...I guess that’s some of the fun of it.

My buddy messages me this morning asking if I had any ideas for a good knot for his project. I didn’t. But, then I thought that someone on here would.

He needs a knot to tie a rope between 2 poles and keep it tight. Kinda like a clothes line I guess. He said his problem is that he can’t find one that he can tighten as much as he needs and have it STAY in place for an extended period of time.

Any ideas what would work on this setup?

Thank you everyone for the help.
    Larry

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Google “Taut-Line Hitch”

Mikey00130, livinthelife and FWoo45 like this.

3. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    Being a Merchant Marine for 40 years I know how to do it but may not be able to explain it.

One way is to put on a slip knot to form a loop near the pole.

Then run the free end around the pole then back through the loop and back to the pole.

Then pull tight and secure with a clove hitch and then half hitch to the pole.

Don't know if that makes sense or is understandable?

Greg M. likes this.
  4. Havoc35

Havoc35 Active Member

Apr 14, 2020
    Thought this was going to be an ordained member thread.

FWoo45 and studenygreg like this.
  5. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Idaho 1911er

Aug 19, 2011
    I use a bowline and a truckers hitch for most of my tying jobs. This lady explains it all pretty well.

FWoo45, NPV, Mikey00130 and 3 others like this.
  6. nathanotis

nathanotis Active Member

Feb 6, 2020
    blamo likes this.
  7. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018

What he said.
    I would use running bow-line on one pole suck it up right. Then wrap the other end around the opposite pole and get it tight. Then visually find a spot about a foot or two away from pole. At that point I would make a loop that binds to itself in the spot you found. Then re-tighten rope around pole, run tail end of rope though loop you created. Pull it tight. I use my right hand to keep it tight. With left hand pinch rope that is through loop. Hold tight. Make half hitchs with right hand and suck it up tight. Should be good.

The link provided above should work as well.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Greg M. likes this.
  8. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    Nut Tying? I don't wanna brag...Calling my wife to come explain to y'all.

9. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    I like that she named the 2nd knot I’ve always used that one for hauling stuff since my wife’s grandfather who owns a furniture company showed it to me. There are a pile of knots and if you’ll look at high angle rescue books they will show a lot as well. In the end if you can’t remember how to tie a knot. Tie a lot

seagiant likes this.
  10. Lineman1982

Dec 21, 2018
    You can also use eye-bolts. Drill holes in each pole in the appropriate spots you chose. Put the eye-bolts in the pole facing each other. Add your washer if needed and the nut. Just barely thread the nut on. Put your rope through the eye of bolts. Put half hitchs on one end and on the other end keeping rope as tight as possible. The start tightening the nuts. Should be able to get the rope tight.

11. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    The rabbit runs around the tree, then down the hole...

12. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Secure one end then the other end takes up the slack with a trucker's hitch....
    20200806_102934.jpg

KS95B40, DSTallguy, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  13. Lineman1982

Dec 21, 2018
    That is a very handy hitch.

14. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    As I stated above if you take the free end after passing it through the loop and make it close enough to the pole to tie off to the pole, instead of trying to tie back to the line.

You will not lose any tension, but will lose some over time to stretch and load.

15. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    That video illustrates exactly what I was typing out. That’s the best way to go as the above poster said you will have to adjust over time for stretch and UV light affects different types of lines as well.

As an aside these are the two best knots for fishing...
    69729395-25C4-4047-8097-141B18E78619.jpeg 313FC273-6AB3-4335-81B4-ABB354CBDE66.jpeg

FWoo45 likes this.
  16. Dr Awkward

Dr Awkward Active Member Supporting Addict

Apr 28, 2020
    With some rope/cord, if you tie it with wet material it will shrink a bit and tighten when it dries. And stretch less when it gets wet later.

I've just started using a new knot in place of the taut line hitch (which was my go to sliding hitch loop knot for 50 years). It's called the "adjustable grip hitch" and the first few trials seem promising.

https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/adjustable-grip-hitch

17. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thank you all kindly for your help. I’m happy to report that right after I posted the thread and got suggestions and info, I passed it on to my buddy and he tied his project up using one of them.

He told me today that the knot is still holding tight with no slack.

18. BillKilgore

BillKilgore Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
    The bowline, the clove hitch and the trucker's hitch are some of the most useful knots I have found. Below is the clove hitch.

[​IMG]

Mikey00130, Lineman1982 and KS95B40 like this.
  19. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    I can tie my shoes and that’s about it. :(

Mikey00130, 41 Charlie and Kip like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted