1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know we have all makes and models in here with the diversity of the group that we are.. Does anyone out their own any lightweight 10mm 1911s of any size, but especially cmdr or smaller..

If so what is your thoughts and experience with it..

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t you guys know 10mm is the equivalent of an atomic bomb?!?!?!? You can’t run that in no aluminum frame! Everybody know that, think of the children!
View attachment 408565
My thoughts on this are a no good thing can probably come out of it. Longevity of the Frame would be minimal at best.. Was just curious as I haven't found any positive on a 10mm with lightweight frames.. Was just wondering if someone at some point had got it done somewhere lol ;)

·
الواحد
808 Posts
My thoughts on this are a no good thing can probably come out of it. Longevity of the Frame would be minimal at best.. Was just curious as I haven't found any positive on a 10mm with lightweight frames.. Was just wondering if someone at some point had got it done somewhere lol ;)
I wonder if a Caspian or JEM aluminum Recon type frame would fair better? I’ve ran some LW 45s without issue and not scared to do it again. Maybe a beer can recon receiver with a ramped barrel is the answer? I’d test the S**t out of it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The thing is that Glock makes a lightweight (kinda) 10mm in the G29 and I had one for a few years. Great gun but a tool! I don't understand why companies like Dan Wesson, Colt, SA make a Commander length 1911 that's somewhat affordable. I carry a full size 10mm 1911 and a Commander length would be nice so come on guys.

Yes, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk and others will do a semi-custom 10mm 1911 but there are not many of us that are interested in spending $3k+ for a Commander length 10mm.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
As far as I know, Nighthawk will make a 10mm on a lightweight frame. Don't know about Guncrafter, but either one will not be cheap. I beat this problem by buying a Kart 400 CorBon barrel and it's being fitted to my new Kimber lightweight Govt. size 1911 .45 ACP right now. Hope it is done soon.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Don’t you guys know 10mm is the equivalent of an atomic bomb?!?!?!? You can’t run that in no aluminum frame! Everybody know that, think of the children!
View attachment 408565
I have seen this gel photo before, without the photo shopped 10mm results, and it is very misleading. Those velocities for 9mm and 357 SIG are much lower than good stout loads that are available. The 357 SIG velocity is a more than 200 FPS less than Underwood produces. Of course, I did read that Underwood has reduced their velocity a bit, but I have the older version that produces around 1550 FPS from a 4.5" barrel. There are higher performance rounds in the other calibers too. The purpose of this pic was to show there is not much difference in performance in all the common self defense calibers, and the data was slanted to show that.

·
الواحد
808 Posts
I have seen this gel photo before, without the photo shopped 10mm results, and it is very misleading. Those velocities for 9mm and 357 SIG are much lower than good stout loads that are available. The 357 SIG velocity is a more than 200 FPS less than Underwood produces. Of course, I did read that Underwood has reduced their velocity a bit, but I have the older version that produces around 1550 FPS from a 4.5" barrel. There are higher performance rounds in the other calibers too. The purpose of this pic was to show there is not much difference in performance in all the common self defense calibers, and the data was slanted to show that.
It was a joke nobody is taking it as anything but.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I had a 10mm Wilson FS for a short period of time. Bought from a forum member and I loved it but a friend loved it WAY more than I did and would like another 10mm but a commander or smaller as I don’t buy any full size guns anymore. Not sure how it would be in the smaller size? A titanium frame maybe? But then costs are getting up there just a bit to make one out of titanium.

Edit: I still want a commander size 380acp just because, and not one of those 80% size guns.

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I was looking at a small plastic 45, like a Smith and Wesson Shield 2.0, there was an XD M 4.5” 10mm.

Looked like it might have been hard to shoot. Pretty small gun.

David

·
North Central AZ Grasslands
3,272 Posts
Okay I know we have all makes and models in here with the diversity of the group that we are.. Does anyone out their own any lightweight 10mm 1911s of any size, but especially cmdr or smaller..

If so what is your thoughts and experience with it..
I used to own an STI VIP in 10mm. It was neat, but not a lot of fun to shoot:cool:

Reactions: Integrity Arms

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,927 Posts
I owned this 10mm CCO for a while, and I believe the round count I reached before selling was 1800 rounds. The frame was all steel, but being a CCO, it was a handful with certain rounds. It also had a traditional barrel vs a ramped barrel, which didn't allow enough case support for hotter loads. 180gr at 1200fps was pretty much the limit, but it was a handful. I wouldn't recommend a lightweight frame with this caliber, but I say that based on my own experiences and preferences.

Fusion 2.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not really a light weight but it is a commander and affordable and I believe rock island has a couple models in commander

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a 10mm Wilson FS for a short period of time. Bought from a forum member and I loved it but a friend loved it WAY more than I did and would like another 10mm but a commander or smaller as I don’t buy any full size guns anymore. Not sure how it would be in the smaller size? A titanium frame maybe? But then costs are getting up there just a bit to make one out of titanium.

Edit: I still want a commander size 380acp just because, and not one of those 80% size guns.
Chuck Warner said he built one in a titanium frame years ago and said it made him take the walk of shame more times than he cares to remember. Now if there is anyone out there that know about odd ball builds it just wild caliber builds and has the knowledge and ability to pull it off it would be Chuck Warner for sure..

Gleaning from his experience would make me learn from his mistake and stick to a all steel commander possibly lightened some is low stress and low impact areas.

He said the one he built was a one shot wonder from cocked and locked lol. In other words after the first round it weren't worth a $hit lol..

So if I am to build a 10mm smaller that full size at best a lightened cmdr. And only slightly lightened.. Alum. Ms housing, bobtail frame, and possibly a few port cuts, and maybe opened up a little in the spring tube area..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts