1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I’m just curious about the interest in adult airguns.

I have a fairly decent rifle in 0.177 that I really enjoy shooting. I used to shoot several times a week back in Texas but since I live in Delaware, Ohio, I haven’t been able to shoot the first pellet. I live in an apartment complex with lots of kiddies running around and I wouldn’t want to scare them or their Moms. I’d love to find a place to shoot in one of the HUMONGOUS farms, but I don’t know anyone here.

Anyway, for those into shooting them, what rifles or pistols do you really like? Are you shooting PCP or break barrel?
It doesn’t have to be anything formal, just shooting whether it be with your buds, your spouse and kids, or friends...what’s your favorite with air rifles?
Also, please list what gear you have.

I have a Diana 34 Classic Pro in 0.177. It shoots great with the right pellets.

If I could find a place to shoot, I’d forget about my 22LR gear for a while. Heck, these modern air rifles in 0.22 or 0.25 will stack pellets on top of each other at 30-50 yards.
That’s what I want to get into. A nice PCP in 0.22. I’d shoot from 10 to 100 meters. I don’t hunt, just target shoot.

Anyone else into nice airguns?

thanks
Larry

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just bought a Benjamin Marauder .25 to de-squirrel my acreage and the airport I fly from.

Air Guns are a serious “rabbit hole”. Huge, bewildering variety of guns, pellets, compressors, air tanks, and accessories. Many YouTube videos. Lots of people are shooting imedium to large game like pigs and even bigger with .50 cal air rifles.

I was unaware of this sport until I began looking for a decent rifle. Many dollars can be spent. I have close to $1K in a good but basic rifle, compressor, ammo. Luckily, PCP rifles accept firearm scopes or that number would easily double.

Good luck in your journey. The Marauder is very quiet as it is internally suppressed. These PCP’s have essentially zero recoil and are highly accurate at appropriate ranges and with pellets they like. Guys are killing squirrels at 1-200 yards with high powered PCP rifles and heavy .20-.30 cal high ballistic coefficient slugs. Amazing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just sold a FX Ipact MKII in .30 cal to fund an Impact MK3 in 30 cal. Now just waiting for delivery. Also have an Ataman AP16 Compact .22 pistol.
Both PCP guns. Very fun as well as excellent trigger time training.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just sold a FX Ipact MKII in .30 cal to fund an Impact MK3 in 30 cal. Now just waiting for delivery. Also have an Ataman AP16 Compact .22 pistol.
Both PCP guns. Very fun as well as excellent trigger time training.
Fx impacts are sweet, you know the average cpr after you account for pellets and tank fills?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I’ve got a big 5 special that I occasionally shoot long neck caps off the back fence with. Shoot pigeons with it at the shop sometimes. Best shot I’ve made the skyrat fell right into the garbage can. Would love to get my hands on a .20 cal Blue Streak.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rabbit hole is right! I started with an inexpensive Gamo springer, worked my way up through the Diana's and Beeman's, then made the switch to PCP's. In my springer days, I think I got up to 9 or 10 guns at one time. I think I maxed at 4 or 5 PCP's. Of course, there was overlap, I had some of both most of the time, then I started messing around with the CO2 QB 78 series of guns, that became an obsession of its own for awhile.

With PCP's, I started with the Air Force guns, then AA, FX, HW, Daystate, some others, some were pretty nice guns with rather high price tags, although I always bought 2nd hand, air gunners tend to take care of their guns. That hobby morphed into a machining hobby, I enjoyed tuning, modifying, and even building almost as much as shooting them.

Never invested in my own compressor, there were no cheap compressors available then, so I leased a large 4500 PSI nitrogen cylinder to keep my guns filled. That was pretty much my exclusive focus for about 10 years, but after getting back into firearms about 5 years ago, most of my airguns have gone away. I do still have a couple of .177 springers, a Gamo and a Slavia, both break barrels, and I still have my Benjamin .25 Marauder, it's primary purpose is garden raiding pests, a job it does very well. As I just have the one PCP, that I don't shoot much, I finally got a hand pump, pumping is a workout that I don't especially enjoy, but I don't have to do it very often, so I can live with that. It's also a lot more portable than that nitrogen cylinder, so if I decide to take the Marauder to the rifle range, I'm not limited to what air is in the tank.

Worth noting that of all the guns I've owned, some pretty high end, I kept the Marauder. It's certainly not the best, or the prettiest, or the most powerful, but it's very good at what it does. It's reasonably quiet, very accurate, fairly efficient with air, good power level, and has an excellent trigger. That's a lot of bang for the buck IMO, you could do a lot worse in PCP's for a lot more money. Good luck finding a place to shoot, later.

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fx impacts are sweet, you know the average cpr after you account for pellets and tank fills?
I get pellets for about .03-.04 per and have a cheap air compressor($300) as well as a 6L bottle($200) for refills.
So after initial investment cost per round is fairly cheap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rabbit hole is right! I started with an inexpensive Gamo springer, worked my way up through the Diana's and Beeman's, then made the switch to PCP's. In my springer days, I think I got up to 9 or 10 guns at one time. I think I maxed at 4 or 5 PCP's. Of course, there was overlap, I had some of both most of the time, then I started messing around with the CO2 QB 78 series of guns, that became an obsession of its own for awhile.

With PCP's, I started with the Air Force guns, then AA, FX, HW, Daystate, some others, some were pretty nice guns with rather high price tags, although I always bought 2nd hand, air gunners tend to take care of their guns. That hobby morphed into a machining hobby, I enjoyed tuning, modifying, and even building almost as much as shooting them.

Never invested in my own compressor, there were no cheap compressors available then, so I leased a large 4500 PSI nitrogen cylinder to keep my guns filled. That was pretty much my exclusive focus for about 10 years, but after getting back into firearms about 5 years ago, most of my airguns have gone away. I do still have a couple of .177 springers, a Gamo and a Slavia, both break barrels, and I still have my Benjamin .25 Marauder, it's primary purpose is garden raiding pests, a job it does very well. As I just have the one PCP, that I don't shoot much, I finally got a hand pump, pumping is a workout that I don't especially enjoy, but I don't have to do it very often, so I can live with that. It's also a lot more portable than that nitrogen cylinder, so if I decide to take the Marauder to the rifle range, I'm not limited to what air is in the tank.

Worth noting that of all the guns I've owned, some pretty high end, I kept the Marauder. It's certainly not the best, or the prettiest, or the most powerful, but it's very good at what it does. It's reasonably quiet, very accurate, fairly efficient with air, good power level, and has an excellent trigger. That's a lot of bang for the buck IMO, you could do a lot worse in PCP's for a lot more money. Good luck finding a place to shoot, later.

Dave
I agree the Marauder is the best gun for the money!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Picked this up from a client that was going to toss it out so the price was good. Haven't spent in time with it but look forward to finding out what its capable of doing. Its a Gamo Whisper and a pretty substantial rifle compared to my Daisy 880.
thumbnail_IMG_2429.jpg

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
A friend of mine is super into air rifles. He keep trying to get me into it, but I just can't seem to get excited about them. The larger caliber air guns are impressive, though.

I guess we can partially thank European gun laws for modern air rifles. Air rifles are super popular overseas because they're not a firearm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve been using a Crosman Marauder Pistol (PCP) with a custom stock and an “LDC” to deal with tree rats in my suburban yard. It is unbelievably accurate, quiet, and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If considering a pellet rifle the Crosman 1077 makes for a decent backyard plinker. Looks like a 10-22, uses CO2, takes a rotary magazine, and has a rifled barrel and usually sells for around $70.00.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Ive got a buddy who makes mods for air rifle. Thats his Marauder with AR Stock and grip. He also makes valves and has a barrel of his own design that he builds up for your gun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
UNK:

Does your buddy have a website or store? Link?
Hi Mark He doesnt have an airgun website. Im not sure how the private messages work. I think I cant send one because Im under 20 post. Maybe I can reply if you PM me and I could give it to you there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love shooting mine. I wish I could shoot it here, but as soon as I tried, there would be 10 cop cars screeching to a halt and the. The fuzz would have me spread Eagle in no time.

I’d really like to get to know one of these farmers around here. I swear, I’ve never lived around so much farmland. I’m talking these aren’t hobby farms, these are the HUGE TRACTOR type farms with silos next to their barns. I haven’t seen any cattle or other livestock ranches though.

The cost of the HPA tank, fittings and such is what stops me from getting into PCP.

Since I’m not gonna be shooting my 10/22 target rifle any time soon, I thought I’d just take up the slack with a really accurate air rifle. I have a 0.177 and don’t know if I should move up to .22 or not. I usually shoot at 25 meters but if I had the room, and to make up from not being able to shoot my 10/22, I’d like to shoot out to maybe 100 yards, maybe less.

I have thought of selling mine and simply going with a better spring rifle like the HW98, HW77, Air Arms Pro Sport or the Air Arms t200. All of these are in .177 and .22, so no problem there. But, all of these also are over $500! If I go too crazy I could get into a tank and fittings and decent PCP like the Marauder for the same as what one of these field target mainstay rifles cost.

I’ve also read a lot about the HW35. It’s a small rifle and cocking effort is negligible. I am told by many that this little rifle is some kinda awesome shooter. I’ve read many user reports about guys shooting their HW30 and HW35 rifles out to 30, 40 and even 50 yards and being able to cover the group with a dime. That’s what I’d like to find, but maybe in something that will let me go out farther.
Heck, I might end up with an HW35 by the tone this is all done.

let’s see some pics and have more stories and gun reports.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You guys are way above what I had. I just had a P229 for practice, but lost it several months ago during a move. Can't really beat the price point now, especially considering how high ammo is staying.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts