Any one have a Ruger LC9?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metaloy, Oct 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    How is it? Size, shooting it, overall???

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I really wanted one when there were none to be had, but after I got my hands on one I felt differently. At the time they were $450 and (to me) too big for a pocket pistol and no big enough to shoot. Now that they've dropped to the $300 range, I might take another look. I might make a good 2nd house pistol.. JMO.. Ron

3. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Been wanting one for awhile now. I'll bet they are a lot like the KelTec 9mm.

4. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    My wife fell in love with it. I was surprised at how well it shot accuracy wise. It's perfect as far as being thin. It's very thin. So an IWB would be very comfy. I stick it naked in my back pocket and go. She carries it all the time. She was able to put some in the kill zone first time out.
    First time she has bragged on her shooting >)
    No way for my only EDC but yes for a back up or quick run to the mailbox >)

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Walking to the mailbox, in the candy dish, recliner pocket, etc.. I'm waiting for $300 shipped and it's almost there.. Ron

6. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    My dad has one, and he likes it quite a bit. It's been 100% reliable with ball ammo and 124gr +P Gold Dots.

For what it is, I think it's well made. However, it is much larger than I thought it would be. It's borderline on too big for a pocket to me.
    For a small 9mm, I think the Kahr PM9 is where it's at if you get a reliable one.

7. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    alot of the online reviews seem to lean towards the Keltec PF9 over the LC9 for one reason or another... I have no experience but have been looking at both models lately...

8. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    The shop I work at on Saturday's sells every one we get in.
    They don't get dust on them. :thumb:

2X the sales as we get out of KelTec PF9's.

No customer returns as to date so Ruger must have broken the recall "curse".

DAT85

9. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I think the Keltec does outsell it. Because it's cheaper. I just don't like "how cheap it looks and feels to me"

That waffle stuff? nuhuh.

10. Rod38um

Rod38um Opinionated Shooter

Oct 5, 2011
    I have the Kel Tec PF9, wish I had bought the Ruger. The Kel Tec has magazine issues. It releases the mag under recoil. Sent mine back to kel Tec once, they replaced the mag catch, still had the problem, My LGS replaced the mag catch, same problem...... I smiffed the mag catch and it seems to be doing alright now. But I shouldn't have had to do it that way just to make it dependable. Both guns fit into that "in between" category which is what attracted me in the first place. A small thin single stack 9mm hides well and shoots decent.......

11. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Ron I see them dealer for $299.00 now at Davidsons.

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    It's getting close.. I've seen a couple go for less than $300 on GB, but with shipping, transfer and TICS you're looking ar $350+.. Ron

13. Smoke14

Smoke14 New Member

Sep 30, 2011
    I have both the PF9 and The LC9. The only thing a little better for the PF9 is it fits in the pocket better, other wise the Ruger blows it out of the water. Finish, recoil, reliability, all favor the LC9. My PF9 won't feed 147 gr reliably and I have had to clean the firing pin channel out twice because of light strikes. The Kel-Tec is also a little bitch for recoil. I have shot as many as 100 rounds at one range visit with the LC9, If I did that with the PF9, I'd probably be wearing a sling. Many people don't like all the safetys on the Ruger, but I do. There are undoubtedly people who prefer the PF9 but i like the Ruger. But I REALLY like my KAHR CW9.

14. claimbuster

claimbuster Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Really like my LC9. It gets carried a lot.

15. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    Actually, I have one - I think they are awesome for a backup, I'm not a big 9mm fan for primary carry. I have fired this and not had one problem, not one.

16. JeffnReno

JeffnReno New Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Carry mine constantly and if you carry it's important that you pick a gun you're willing to carry constantly. I love shooting my 1911 but when I carry it for any length of time it becomes uncomfortable for me so I tend to take it off more often. I've carried double stack 9s, tiny 380 amt backup, snub 38, EAA witness 10mm, and still own all those plus others but the gun I rely on as a daily carry is my LC9. Here are some of the reasons: If a gun is too light/small, the felt recoil makes it uncomfortable to practice with and takes longer to reacquire your target. Too heavy/thick/long, pulls down your pants/shoulder/belly band holster and gets uncomfortable plus prints to easily. My preferred carry method is a belly band worn at the tummy chest dividing line with the gun in a cross draw under my left arm position. I wear it over a t shirt and under a snap closure outer garment. Have tried different methods/holsters/positions guns and with my body (big gut) type, I always come back to my LC9 in the method described. It shoots everything reliably, fits my hand well with the extended 9 round magazine, is easy to clean, ammo not impossible to find, light and flat enough that it disappears on me and I wear it everywhere I am because I never worry about it printing. If there isn't a metal detector or I'm undressing, it stays on me. My next choice is a light weight pocket carry snub 38 but the thickness and reduced capacity of the snub brings me back to my LC9.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  17. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

Nov 14, 2012
    I have the LC9 and am very happy with it. It fits my hand very well. Of the several pocket size pistols I have, it's the easiest for me to conceal, especially in a pocket holster.

A lot of people comment they don't like the long double action trigger. But I also shoot revolvers and do fine with the trigger. I can understand the criticism from those who are more comfortable with a 1911 style single action pull.

My biggest criticism is I would like larger dots on the sights for my continually aging eyes. But this not exclusive to the LC9.

Over 1,300 trouble free rounds are through it now and I am quite comfortable with the LC9.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted