Any other Wet Shavers Here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NPV, Jan 20, 2019.

1. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    I’ve been wet shaving for a few months now after deciding I was paying too much for cartridges that were giving sub par shaves. I went right into using a straight razor and skipped the DE/safety razor phase. I’ve even begun restoring some beat up razors off eBay which is pretty satisfying and much cheaper than buying more guns.

Anyone else on the forum shaving with a DE or Straight? As always post pics. If there’s enough of us here maybe I’ll make a gear discussion or Shave if the Day thread.

C7F38663-77F5-4D94-84E0-882479FA0BA4.jpeg 16AA22D3-F177-4755-A79B-94FCDB9186E6.jpeg 890FD6A3-EA8B-477C-B206-9334F50BDAF8.jpeg 82D8B9FD-606D-485F-AD1F-924BED5A535E.jpeg 58F8202D-5D1B-4AA5-BEE7-0FE5CB7C4CBA.jpeg

gaijin, 1911 dawg, Kip and 10 others like this.
  2. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    I quit using cartridges years ago, currently use a DE and a straight. So much cheaper, and a much better shave!

UBOATDOC, tac45, PewPewPtwang and 2 others like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I use this for my face, and I got another for my balls and ass.

20190120_175100.jpg

Most of the time I'm able to keep track of which one is which.

4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    What is this "shaving" thing?

Babboonbobo, Kip, ZoidMeister and 2 others like this.
  5. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Been investigating this method the last few weeks. Same here, tired of buying cartridges.

NPV likes this.
  6. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Shaved with a straight for years until I retired and stopped shaving altogether. There certainly is no better shave, used to look forward to my shave every day.

And not a tacticool beard, more of Smith Brothers or ZZ Top.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Eric, gps man, Kip and 4 others like this.
  7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
  8. Caeserslegion

Caeserslegion Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I’ve never used one to shave with, but I have seen a couple in action, in some back country bar fights. It used to be the weapon of choice, in my county, and it could certainly give an opponent a “close shave”. Now mostly outlawed, still see one around, occasionally.

9. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I’ve been using a double edge safety for years. I actually picked up a NOS Super Adjustable off EBay manufactured in the same quarter that I was born.
    Lately I’ve been going with a Muhle R89. I appreciate the heavy handle compared to the standard and do better with the screw on head than I do with a twist to open.
    I’ve kicked around trying a straight razor more than once, but never took the plunge. This thread may tempt me...
    Generally if I go on vacation, I’ll seek out a place that does straight razors shaves and treat myself.

UBOATDOC, BennyAdeline and FWoo45 like this.
  10. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    I used to always have a beard but my new job prompted me shaving more often. That’s when I realized it was time for a change.
    Cool let me know if you are gonna take the plunge. I can probably get a razor in shave ready shape for you on the cheap.

BennyAdeline likes this.
  11. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Still using the twin bladed thang lo these many years...

He got a thirty two gun in his pocket for fun
    He got a razor in his shoe

12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I’ve been useing a murker 34 and Feather blades for years
    DF882209-6A63-40E1-80EE-C1F622E37EBF.jpeg
    And this a shaving cream
    F1C5AD1B-ABE8-453E-B2FB-33AFFA2D6A1A.jpeg
    Old school

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Tiger6, Lucky, UBOATDOC and 5 others like this.
  13. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    I’ve been shaving with good soaps, a brush, and Shick Injectors for years. Follow up with a nice splash and lotion.

Only way I can do it without irritation.

Dallas Knight likes this.
  14. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Man, proraso white is amazing. I have the white splash as well and it’s so legit.

NPV and tac45 like this.
  15. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Dollar Store blades and Barbasol for me...

41 Charlie and WHEELS like this.
  16. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I've been DE wet shaving for a few years now. F gillette. I remembered how I got a way better shave with my dad's old DE that my great grandpa got my dad's dad when he left for the Pacific in WW2. So I started with a cheaper Edwin Jagger and a Breeto best badger brush. Still using the brush but the razor has been retired for a Merkur Slant. Got a sampler pack of blades and settled on feathers. I've got a Simpsons Chubby Super Badger waiting in the wings but the old brush is still going strong. Truefitt & Hill 1805 cream and aftershave lotion. Pretty good stuff but I'm looking to branch out a bit. I should have known @NPV. Another younger guy who like nice, old school stuff. I'd like to try a straight razor but I cut myself up with a DE that I'm a bit hesitant. Maybe that's because of the Manhattan I make myself to go with a shave...

Tiger6, livinthelife, Kip and 3 others like this.
  17. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    Oh , that’s what happened to that mug. :roflmaro:

BennyAdeline likes this.
  18. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I have been soap and water in the shower with my eyes closed for the last 40 plus years......Atra handle and after all these years I think I started using my 3rd new Atra handle a few years ago......GF doesn't like it when I shave her with my eyes closed......She worries.

I know I have the touch.

Karsten

19. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    It isn’t a post without GF pics :roflmaro:

20. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Your razor and blades. Same style different brand.

Your shaving cream I also use barbasol.

Just Terry, tac45 and NPV like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted