Any recommendations on 80% frames

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by r.masa, Dec 3, 2018.

1. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Since I am new to the forum, I hope this is where to post the question.
    Looking to buy another 80% frame and slide, any recommendations as to where/who to buy it from.
    I don’t have any specifics in mind, I just like building things. And there are a lot of choices as to where to get it from. Just looking for recommendations.

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I'm looking seriously at Fusion's frame.

3. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    I think I will start a list, and update when suggestions are added
    Standard base model Frames

416 Stainless

Fusion $160
    1911 Builders $176
    Remsport $165
    VytamenC $165
    American Weapons $269
    Urban Survival Arms $150

Unknown (does not state) Stainless

The Buffalo $170

17-4 Stainless Cast

The Buffalo $65

Forged 4140

Fusion $160
    1911 Builders $176
    Remsport $165

4140 Cast

Tactical Machining $109

Cast 4140

7075 CNC Aluminum

Stealth $165
    Ghost Guns $150
    80% Lowers $165
    1911 Frame $165

7075 Billet

Hell Fire Armory $120
    Urban Survival Arms $150

Cast Aluminium

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Charlie Miller and wrmiller like this.
  4. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Bought a couple of SS80 frames on black Friday. Not sure how they'll turn out.

The slide/barrel with lower parts kit is $400, so you're not saving money for sure. You have to really want to be off the books.

5. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    It will never be about saving money. I do a lot of research to get the best prices, but saving money Would be an unrealistic goal.
    I have built countless 80% stuff, and it cost about twice as much to build than to buy. I just like to build um, it’s just a hobby.

wrmiller likes this.
  6. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Saving money and hobby are two things that just don’t go well together

wrmiller, awp101, BR549er and 3 others like this.
  7. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    My recommendation is to use 100% frames unless you are prohibited to do so.

80% is a good way to get holes that aren’t lined up, egg shaped or just simply not located to spec.

With 100% your chances of success are much higher. You’ll either have perfect holes or a frame that simply just needs to be finish reamed.

Nothing sucks more than finishing up your build just to find out one end of your sear pin hole is .003 off at one end and your hammer follows or your safety won’t work.

You’re trusting that their pre drilled jig is located properly and then trusting the run out of a drill press quill or hand drill. 2 ways to not drill accurate holes.

azpoolguy and SparkyAZ like this.
  8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Not everyone uses a jig. When I'm ready, I'll just buy the 80% frame and do the work on my mill thanks. And I'll make my own fixture for holding the frame in the vise.

If the holes end up 3 thou out of spec, then either I screwed up the math or my DRO is lying. :)

9. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    You are exactly the type of person 80% frame makers should be targeting. People who can locate a hole from a print, fixture the frame and drill accurate holes.

Not the Black and Decker handheld/Harbor Freight drill press crowd.

azpoolguy, Kip, TheCollector and 2 others like this.
  10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Thank you. I think. ;)

I'm a hobby machinist who owns a lathe and mill and likes to make stuff out of metal. But my first love is building/working on 1911s, which started while I was working for a pistolsmith who later became a good friend. I mostly worked the hand work bench doing trigger jobs, feed and tunes, etc. on a variety of pistols and revolvers, but he did teach me how to use the lathe, mill, and surface grinder.

After successfully doing my first ramped barrel fit in a stock frame with a dremel and files I will be the first to admit that doing it on a mill is so much easier. :)

My primary reason for buying a 80% 1911 frame is that I can cut the frame to exactly match a specific slide. I don't have TIG capability, so welding up a frame (or anything else for that matter) is out of the question for now. Maybe later though. :)

john_anch_ak, Kip and TheCollector like this.
  11. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    That’s exactly what I mean. The hobby machinist or custom smith who can machine the holes and finish ream them is who they should be targeting.

Most of these need to be decked and have the rails machined too and using one of those “rail scrapers” looks silly.

12. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Although I wanted to find the best frame for the next build, during research I kind of started really liking the squared trigger frame look. I know those are cast (at least the ones I have come across), but I really wanted to build one with a squared trigger guard.

Since I could't make up my mind for the next buy, I went with an impulse buy.
    0101.PNG
    $399 with free shipping

I am going to detour from the next build to see what this $400 kit is.
    From the picture, it looks like a Rock Island Armory build kit, but I have no idea about the frame, it says CS 4140 forged, but I will wait and see what comes in the mail.
    I don't have any expectations, and I will build it with as much care as I do the others.

13. Dilligas

Dilligas Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Do you have a link for this?

14. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018

https://www.urbansurvivalarms.com/c.../copy-of-80-1911-45-cal-complete-builders-kit

note: I did email them before I purchased to see if they had them in stock. And it was confirmed that there were stock and it will be shipped between 48-72 hours after payment.
    Two days has past since I ordered and it hasn't been shipped yet, so I am not sure yet about there shipping department.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  15. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    In the old days we used a torch and a wrench (Brownells?) to bend the trigger guard. :)

john_anch_ak likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted