1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a S&W 325PD Airlite revolver at my LGS. Thinking about doing my civic duty by supporting a local gun shop and this has caught my eye.

S&W 325PD Airlite.jpg

This was the one with the scandium frame and titanium cylinder they sold for a couple of years. 45 ACP N frame revolver with moon clips in comes in around 22 ozs unloaded.

It was a light revolver compared to my 625 snubby and both single and double action was very smooth. Didn't look like it had been shot much by the looks of the forcing cone and recoil shield with barely a trace of a cylinder ring.

Looks like it was carried a lot more than shot. Finish has typical wear spots on the muzzle and cylinder.

Reviews I've read stated that it wasn't bad shooting 45 ACP loads, but not something to be shot on an extended range session. Nothing like shooting a full power magnum load in a J frame revolver. Most reviews weren't very complimentary. Lightweight seems to imply pocket carry, but my pockets aren't big enough for an N frame

Seller is pretty proud of it, asking $950. Comes with original box, paperwork, internal lock key but no moon clips. Price is high.

When they were discontinuing this model, Bud's had them for sale at $751 but that was over seven years ago. Sold Gunbroker auctions have them in the $700-800 range. Given its condition, this particular one would lean more towards the lower end of that scale.

They also had a S&W Model 52-1 pistol in there. No box and only one magazine, but condition was excellent. That might be the better option but price will need to come down from the $1329 they had listed.

·
Premium Member
26,236 Posts
I would buy that if it were $800-825 if it were a local deal

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,835 Posts
Depends on what your going to do with it. The 52 would be an awesome range gun. That 325 isn't the lightest snubby you can get, maybe in 45, but if your going for light that isn't it. And it isn't that far off from a LGT WGT Commander really. N frames aren't small. However if your a wheelman that's beside the point.

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,714 Posts
I recently traded into a 386PD Airlite and it is a "snappy snubbie" to the true definition of the word...
Much more easy shooting 38spl rather than the 357's. It is a very lightweight carry if that is what you are looking for.

002.JPG

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,835 Posts
When my daughter graduated the academy I got her a 340PD just under 12 oz and .357, snappy to shoot for sure. Her back up is a Glock 43, go figure.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That light of a revolver in 357 Magnum wouldn't be fun but expect with the 45 ACP, it wouldn't be as dramatic.

No particular use for the 325, just caught my eye. I like 45ACP revolvers and shooting with moonclips.

52-1 has more of a collector value even though it doesn't have a box. Probably wouldn't see much range time but always fun shooting wadcutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts

I've gone to shooting mostly auto rim in it.

I've had a confusing relationship with mine. I lusted after them for a bit. I finally bought a used one to carry while out with my bow. I called it "the forgotten gun" because I would wear it while working as a range officer, I could wear it all day without noticing it, so light I'd forget it was there. After 6-8 months I started to think "Why did I buy this?" and started to regret it.
About that time my brother in law contacted me saying he was looking for a big bore revolver to wear at work, and if I saw one for sale to let him know. I told him I had a deal for him and sold him the gun for $150 less than I paid because I knew he didn't have the money. Of course once it was gone, I started to regret selling it. About then I started playing "gun games", IDPA style matches and I really wished I'd still had the gun.
My brother in law was later diagnosed with cancer and passed some time later. I got the gun back and no longer wanted it back. I kept playing with it, changing things, trying to make myself use it more. So here I am, still torn about it. Sell it or keep it. I keep switching back and forth, it hasn't been "love/hate" , but it's been weird. Semi sentimental value, but not enough to keep it.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I think the price is too high by $100-$150.... But. They aren't making more of them.

If it showed up at my LGS, they would have texted me about it, and it would either be in my safe here, or in theirs with my name on it.

"Hello, my name is gpsman, and I am hopelessly addicted to 1911's and Smith and Wesson revolvers...."

·
Make it a double
16,669 Posts

I've gone to shooting mostly auto rim in it.

I've had a confusing relationship with mine. I lusted after them for a bit. I finally bought a used one to carry while out with my bow. I called it "the forgotten gun" because I would wear it while working as a range officer, I could wear it all day without noticing it, so light I'd forget it was there. After 6-8 months I started to think "Why did I buy this?" and started to regret it.
About that time my brother in law contacted me saying he was looking for a big bore revolver to wear at work, and if I saw one for sale to let him know. I told him I had a deal for him and sold him the gun for $150 less than I paid because I knew he didn't have the money. Of course once it was gone, I started to regret selling it. About then I started playing "gun games", IDPA style matches and I really wished I'd still had the gun.
My brother in law was later diagnosed with cancer and passed some time later. I got the gun back and no longer wanted it back. I kept playing with it, changing things, trying to make myself use it more. So here I am, still torn about it. Sell it or keep it. I keep switching back and forth, it hasn't been "love/hate" , but it's been weird. Semi sentimental value, but not enough to keep it.
That looks really nice with that grip and "T".

·
TANSTAAFL
1,708 Posts
There's one at my LGS as well but the cylinder is black and I haven't researched the difference yet. IIRC they're asking $850-ish but same as the others, I'd like one but I haven't convinced myself to commit to one.

As usual, nice looking setup cas.

"Hello, my name is gpsman, and I am hopelessly addicted to 1911's and Smith and Wesson revolvers...."
Admitting the problem is the first step. No idea what the second step is, I've never made it that far. My burdens are 1911s, S&W revolvers, single shots and single action Rugers...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I like the single action Rugers too.

The second step for me has been to keep buying them!

Other than that, I don't know what the second step could be....

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The black one should be their Nightguard model. Essentially the same revolver without the titanium slide or wood grips.

CAS: Good input. I suspect that is where my head will be at without the sentimental connection. Doubt it will be anything I will carry but gives me an alternative to my Model of 1989 625-2, which are becoming pricey and more of interest to collectors.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice Nightguard. Always prefered the black finish on the Nightguard vs the two tone look of the Airlite. Are the wood grips aftermarket? Always saw the Nightguard with the rubber versions.

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,714 Posts
Nice Nightguard. Always prefered the black finish on the Nightguard vs the two tone look of the Airlite. Are the wood grips aftermarket? Always saw the Nightguard with the rubber versions.
Those are Ahrends Tactical stocks, cocobolo wood I believe.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seller made the decision for me. He won't come off his $950 price since these are no longer in production, and therefore rare. Eye of the beholder.

Seller on the Model 52-1 dropped the price to $950, so it will come home with me tomorrow. I'll get some pictures posted and see if I can scrounge up any 148gr 38 Special wadcutter ammo locally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Even close to $950 I'd sell mine so fast your head would spin. lol
Though that price probably isn't too crazy anymore. I paid more for mine than any S&W I've ever bought, but not THAT much. Of course time has snuck up on me, it shocked me to realize I bought it about 10 years ago. :confused:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All about finding the right buyer. Completed auction on GB show one sold for $800 and another for $699, but no active auctions for this model.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts