Any Stamp Collectors Here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bugs, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Recently inherited stamp collection (all mint) from 1960's era. Seems like most of them are worth .30 to 1.00 a piece. Have sleeves of multiples of each example and wondering what I should do with them. Examples such as Johnny Appleseed, Kennedy, Lincoln, Churchill, We Appreciate Our Servicemen, Great River Road, State Examples, Circus and many more.

41 Charlie and Greg Derr like this.
  2. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012

3. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Interesting, I too was left a stamp collection. I have no interest or desire to involve myself in this hobbie. It appears to be well preserved, I just don’t know what to do with it?

Following along...

4. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Charlie same issue here. I appreciate jaydoc's suggestion but really do not want to get involved in a stamp forum. I'm torn between wanting to preserve them as they have sentimental significance and selling them because I have no interest in getting involved in stamp collecting. Many are just in stamp envelopes and not sure how they should be kept. I just don't want to spend a lot of $$ doing it. I must say they are in like new condition which is somewhat amazing.

41 Charlie likes this.
  5. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I understand not wanting “to get involved “ in a stamp forum but I thought that is where people who can point you in the right direction would be.....
    I think there is even a thread for people who inherited a stamp collection,

6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have a friend at work that collects stamps, I’ll ask him when I get back to work tomorrow where a good place is to sell collections or just to get you moving in the direction you want.

41 Charlie likes this.
  7. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
  8. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    I used to collect stamps years ago but sold most of my collections.

As a general rule, most any US mint stamps after 1932 or so are worth face value. Dealers will buy lots for less than face and sell lots at less than face as bulk postage. The Scott catalogs will list a minimum value which is higher than face but that value includes what a dealer would pay to keep it stocked in inventory at a retail shop. I used up any left over mint stamps as postage. I dabbled some with certified APS and PSE stamps but got rid of them too. Unfortunately the stamp hobby seems to be dying.

41 Charlie likes this.
  9. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
    ^^^Agree ^^^
    Kind of like coin collections. It seems to be a dieing generational thing. The younger folks don't appear to have this type of interest.

10. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Stamp collections were what some of did in the 60’s, like Cribbage, Pinochle and Bridge.

41 Charlie likes this.
  11. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've looked up some of the ones I have and they have values ranging from 30 cents to 70 cents. I also would like to sell them otherwise I'm sure they will just collect dust.

12. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Please let me know, we could sure use the dough. 2018 was not a good year and 2019 is not looking much better.

13. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I collected off and on, mainly from places I’d been, and a few complete sheets here and there. I’ve got stamps from countries that don’t exist anymore.

Was never serious or formal about it....

One thing I have done, is frame them as gifts. Whatever theme that someone is into.

Makes a good gift.

Stick on stamps killed the collecting of lick on stamps.

14. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    If you have a rough idea of catalog value, a dealer will usually offer about 1/3 of that value. Before I liquidated my collections, I was a member on Stamporama among others. The website is www.stamporama.com . They had a bunch of friendly folks there and ranged from experts to beginners. You may want to reach out to them to see if someone is interested in buying your collection.

41 Charlie, Babboonbobo and Bugs like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted