1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided this was a good time to add one of these little "firearms" to the arsenal. I decided on 20 gauge so it'd would fun to shoot :)

I'm adding a little Magpul handle-stop to the front so I keep all my digits

0418201016.jpg
0418201016a.jpg

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot my new 20 gauge Remington Tac-14 today and while it wasn't like shooting a 12 gauge I wouldn't say it's a piece of cake to shoot either, maybe I need a .410 :confused:

I ran 15 rounds through it, it kicks good, it'll be fun from time to time when I bring a newbie to the range :roflmaro:

Reactions: FWoo45 and ronin11

·
Registered
712 Posts
They didn't have the Tac 14 when I went down this route, but I like my similarly considered 870 shorty a great deal. You will probably find the handstop is only a handstop, in that you probably won't want to have your hand jammed up against it during recoil. Having said that, it's a self-limiting problem, because after one full tube, you will find support hand backing away from it subconsciously.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Been on the fence about 12 vs 20 gauge with one of these. I have looked at the Mossberg and Remington in both gauges. I would definitely be adding a SBA3 brace either way. Never had a problem handling any full size 12 gauge, but sounds like these little buggers are a handful. Has me thinking about the 20. I'd love to shoot both with the brace before deciding.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Honestly, 12 gauge isn't to bad as long as you aren't doing anything dumb. There is a little bit of technique applicable, in that you generally want to push forward with your support hand, and pull back on your grip hand, to stabilize it while firing. It is aim-able, although I find people tend to shoot a good bit higher then they are intending. Got to be conscious of that. But I run LE132 #00 and LE127 Rifled Slug, both of which are low-recoil rounds. I think the LE132 runs about 1100 fps, and it isn't going to tear the gun out of your hand, or anything even close. After a box or two, you might feel it in your wrists a little, but it is not as bad as a snubby .357. Where people run into trouble is when they load up a bunch of 3" magnums and/or use sloppy form in an attempt to show off. But I have had female friends with minimal firearms experience and weighing in at a buck-thirty soaking wet and with sand in their pockets pump out three rounds back-to-back just fine after a little coaching.

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IDK, after shooting the 20 gauge I wouldn't in a million years want to own a 12 gauge. Now with a brace it maybe a whole different experience but with the factory set-up. No thank you !

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't have a brace, but with a stock on, it's pretty much like any other shotgun. I kind of like the novelty of the birds head grip.

But I also get that everyone has their own preferences and experiences.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,991 Posts
Have one and it’s manageable- but slugs weren’t fun.
I plan on dropping it off at Vang Comp in June on my way to Gunsite after I Form 1 it. Have them give it their full package.
Then, it’ll be a lot more fun to pew pew.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Anybody had any experience with the Charles Daly (Chiappa) "Honcho" or the Black Aces Tactical ? Both are semi-auto and are said to be more controllable/comfortable due to gas operation reducing recoil. Semi-auto seems like it would be fun but........any body ????????

TR

·
Registered
29 Posts
Clint Smith has a good video on how to shoot these. I have the Tac-14 Hardwood. I loved the classic look of it. I put a Trijicon dot on the front, a scattergun technologies jumbo safety, and velcro side saddle with cards. Shoots great with Federal Flight Control #1 Buck reduced recoil loads.

At some point I will get the Remington Tac-13 semi auto.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, there just aren't many of them out there yet. But with how reliable the Rem 1100 platform is I will still get one when I see one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts