1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been looking for a lower cost option for my sister and happened upon some info about the Taurus offerings. The ones that I am most curious about are the TH9c, the G2s and the G2c. The TH9c is a DA/SA pistol, I believe, while the other 2 are striker fired.
I haven't handled any of these, but looking at them in Academy Sports the other day, they look like nice pistols and the price is really affordable, which is important for my sister after having just moved to Columbus, Oh.
Since I don't have any direct knowledge about them, I thought I'd ask you guys/gals what you think about them and whether you would recommend any of these to one of your family members. Does anyone own and/or carry one of these?

Any info you care to share about these pistols will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Larry

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
The only striker fired gun in my house is also the only Taurus.
It is my wife's Millenium G2.
It's been accurate and dependable so far.
It's also quite comfortable in the hand.
She picked it out and bought it herself, but I wouldn't have let her( or at least protested loudly) if the reviews hadn't been favorable for the most part...
I'm not a huge Taurus fan though I've owned a few, but I hate striker fired guns.
After shooting it,I was surprised how much I didn't hate it.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
4,850 Posts
Check this out.

After watching this I bought one.
I am not a Taurus Fan per say, however my G2C is Accurate, Reliable and comfortable to carry and shoot.
12+1, fits in your pocket. Has a thumb safety which I prefer.
Only thing I thought I was going to have an issue with at first learning the trigger, but surprisingly in the end it wasn't an issue
23B38181-9531-42F6-A6CB-93D1819D309D.png

·
Make it a double
16,663 Posts
I’m leery of them. I’ve owned a handful of the brand. Not overtly crappy, but they just don’t feel like quality materials are used. To me the polymer pistols are very hollow feeling and they make toy like noises. I haven’t had any breakages or anything, I just didn’t like the feel or the reputation and moved on to more trusted brands. I would recommend a used version of a more trusted moniker.

I will say that their Beretta copy is a pretty decent pistol and some of their revolvers seem okay if you aren’t into fit and finish. They are low cost for a reason.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,128 Posts
If you ever need customer service on the pistol, and given the Taurus record you probably will, you'll wish you bought a better pistol.

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I've purchased 2 Taurus guns. A pistol and a single action revolver. Both had issues and were gotten rid of. Burned twice, no more Taurus for me. Their QC is crap.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the info and opinions.

It’s a shame that they don’t exercise more care in the making and supporting of their products as it looks like a couple of their pieces could be nice alternatives to the “rest of the bunch” of carry pieces available right now to CCW holders. I’m going to urge that my sister take the class and get her license. We’re from Ohio, the southernmost tip of the state, and both me and our late Dad both had our CCW and it’s not that difficult to obtain.

Thanks again all.
Larry

·
1911 Lover
278 Posts
I've purchased 2 Taurus guns. A pistol and a single action revolver. Both had issues and were gotten rid of. Burned twice, no more Taurus for me. Their QC is crap.
I've had four total - one 686 stainless .357 revolver bought in the early 90's has been solid.

Three semi's from the late 90's into the early 2000's, and every one of them had issues, including FTF hollowpoints, FTE, and light strikes on the last of the three. Three strikes, you're out.

For only a little more money, you can get a Ruger, which have been 100% for me.

·
Make it a double
16,663 Posts
A Taurus and a person that carries is better than a high end gun not carried. It’s a viable option, just not my first choice. I’d rather see a person carry that than not carry at all. There are better options out there but that can be said of most brands. Don’t let the brand stop her from defending herself.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,648 Posts
“Don’t let the brand stop her from defending herself.”

True, but a little guidance is muy importante.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Had the same deal for my youngest daughter for just a few more bucks I bought her a M&P EZ 380 great gun for the money . Smith hit a home run with this little gun .

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
When it comes to picking one out, let her be the judge. Resist coaching unless it is a way off base decision. You wouldn’t pick out a handbag for her would you? Let her be in power with this.
I also would not let my wife carry a gun that I did not believe would be 100% reliable should she need to defend her life with it. Taurus guns do not provide that kind of security for me. Click, click, no bang...NO THANKS.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,648 Posts
I also would not let my wife carry a gun that I did not believe would be 100% reliable should she need to defend her life with it. Taurus guns do not provide that kind of security for me. Click, click, no bang...NO THANKS.
When it comes to picking one out, let her be the judge. Resist coaching unless it is a way off base decision. You wouldn’t pick out a handbag for her would you? Let her be in power with this.
Guidance is very important. Just cause it’s purdy, doesn’t make it the best option for quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts