Any Wilson or Nighthawk Shotgun owners out there?

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by jmr986, Mar 16, 2019.

1. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Thinking of getting a nice shotgun as an early retirement gift to myself. Don't currently own one right now, so I defer to the experts.

Both WC and NHC take the Remington 870 and work their magic on them. I do have a WC Brig Tac FWIW. There are some features on both offerings that I like, and can add myself, like the magpul stuff. The Vang comp on the NHC seems interesting.

So my question, is it worth buying a breathed on 870, or for that kind of money just get a Benelli M4/Beretta 1301? I keep thinking of guys that slam their Honda Civics with chips, cans and turbo's, but still have a Honda Civic at the end, albeit very fast, at Corvette prices. Do you just buy the Corvette and be done with it? Haven't sold a gun yet so not concerned with resale.

The use will be for range and maybe home defense. I've got a lot of handguns and 1 AR so it will go into the rotation. Thanks in advance for helping me spend my money!!!

Mr. Knight likes this.
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    If it was my money, I would look for a used Wingmaster, and replace the stocks and add what you wish to it. If I think about more than $600 or so for a shotgun, I start thinking about O/U gun... But that is just me.

The WC shotguns cycle slick as owl shi$t! Just don't trip my trigger. Congrats on the retirement!

Diggs19116 and jmr986 like this.

3. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I heard back from Nighthawk. They use Express or sometimes Police as the base. The base NHC starts at $1,499 seems a bit pricey for a $500 gun.

Fred_G likes this.
  4. Hound1

Hound1 Member

Apr 26, 2017
    How about a mossy 590a1?

ImperialBlade, Karsten and jmr986 like this.
  5. Diablo

Diablo When in doubt, empty the magazine!!!

Nov 28, 2018
  6. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    As of right now it’s my number 1 choice. Like the Magpul stock. Was stuck on semi-auto but pumpin’ might be fun. Was looking at the Beretta 1301 tactical then add the Magpul, but didn’t want to spend that much on a shotgun. Although it would still be cheaper than most of my handguns.

7. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    I'd vote for 870 with swapped out furniture or Benelli Nova Tactical with ghost rings, both at or under $500ish. I have way more rounds through the 870 but they're both great. Of course my 870 is about 15 years old so can't vouch for current QC. IMG_20190316_1153239.jpg IMG_20190331_1159386.jpg

Glock2740 likes this.
  8. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Look for an old police or prison riot gun. You can find them cheap. They’re Wingmasters with an 18”-20” barrel. Makes a great base gun to do what you want to it.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  9. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    I am kind of partial to this one since I build it in my shop lol. It's built with the best parts available. I can also customize Mossbergs, Winchesters. I can build it anyway you want to fit your budget on your supplied shotgun. Warhammer right side red:blk.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  10. Hound1

Hound1 Member

Apr 26, 2017
    That looks real nice.

11. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I picked up a 870 Tactical years ago because I wasn't having any luck finding a Mossberg 590-A1 8 +1....On the way home I stopped at a little hole in the way l gun store and tey were the 3rd place that told me there were none available in the system.

He tried to show me a few other pumps and I wasn't impressed....when I looked down at the used rack I had my hand on and low and be hold....Mossberg 590-A1 bayo Lug,20 inch heavy walled barrel, dual extractors, dual barrel hangers and all the hang tags......It was never logged into inventory and put out on the wrong shelf.....Mine now.

[​IMG]

The Mossberg makes the 870 pale in comparison....In fact the 870 is so bad it has never been loaded or left the house and the finish from just wiping it down is already wearing thing.

[​IMG]

Another I would highly recommend is the Mossberg 930 SPX.....Awesome reviews even with low recoil reduced loads.

18 inch barrel with extended tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karsten

Mike Meints and Hunt5877 like this.
  12. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    Thank you.

13. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    The 870 Tactical is based on the cheap Express action. I wouldn’t touch a 870 unless it was an older police model or wingmaster.

SundevilRob and Karsten like this.
  14. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Talked to one of our favorite "enablers" regarding the WC Rob Haught. Sounds like all they do is smooth the pump action a bit, and that's it.

At this point in time I'm considering 2 shotguns, both different. A Mossberg 590a1 Magpul, or a Beretta 1301 Tactical with the Magpul stock. As you can tell I'm kind of partial to the Magpul stock. Go with the Mossie as my first starter shotgun, or go Beretta and get something a little more refined? It may be a HD gun along with some range fun. Really, just want to get one and round out my arsenal. Thanks.

Karsten likes this.
  15. Karsten

Feb 19, 2013
    I think you would be happy with the Magpul 590-A1....About the only difference I see in that and the one I have is the Winged Ghost Ring Rear Sight and it has a Picatinny Rail....The Mossberg is more than a starter Shotgun and may be to only Shotgun you need.

Now something on a completely different level is a Keltec KSG.....I know, some laugh but hey they run just fine....Little short 26 inch shotty with a 18.5 inch barrel...2 tubes for 14+1 2.75, 18+1 2.0 inch or 24+1 1.75 inch mini Shells and they all feed just fine......Ya just have to rack it like you know who is in charge.

[​IMG]

Karsten

FWoo45 likes this.
  16. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    You don't need to spend much on a defensive shotgun, you need to spend time learning how to use it. Training aces buying something you really don't need and are less likely to use.
    P1010637.JPG
    870 Express on top, two WingMasters below, 12 gauge to make it count for something.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  17. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    Good point, train with what you buy but make sure you buy what you like or you won't! I almost never train with the guns I bought because they were the least expensive and most functional...happy to help you spend your money OP

jmr986 likes this.
  18. Karsten

Feb 19, 2013
    Well, at the time I didn't know that and the 870 was supposed to be the best there was....So as a Mossberg Guy I bought it.

Being a Savage 110FP guy I also went looking for a Rem 700 only to be told the FNH SPR would be a better rifle out of the box and they were right about that as well.

They just don't make stuff like they used to.

Karsten

19. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    So true.

20. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Went with the Beretta 1301 with mag extension. Gonna look for a used 590a1 so I have a pump. And I thought only handguns and guitars were addicting!

SundevilRob and Hunt5877 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted