Anybody have direct experience with David Sams?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by FullySupported, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. FullySupported

FullySupported Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2019
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. SHOKDU

SHOKDU Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    I had a David Sams commander in 38 super. That gun was incredibly well built; no failures while I owned it. The smithing work was great. Fit and finish were very good, though not as good as some guns costing twice as much (to be expected). I can and do recommend David on a regular basis, one of my friends is currently having a MEUSOC clone built by him which is one of his specialties.

FWoo45, TexasBB and WHEELS like this.

3. SHOKDU

SHOKDU Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Journeyman1234, WHEELS and FWoo45 like this.
  4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    @FWoo45 are you already heading that way?

5. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Truck is running. Waiting on the heater. This really is a screaming deal.
    Edit: I sent him a PM. Truck is still running. No offense guys but this is one I'd love to keep behind enemy lines.

simonp and Mr. Knight like this.
  6. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    If I was there I'd be making a run at it.

7. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Only 8 and a half hour drive each way. That's 33 hours in the hemi gas hog to get it. Damn 10 day wait. If he'll wait for convertible weather I might swing it. The drop top gets better mileage.

WHEELS likes this.
  8. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Helluva deal there, good luck with getting it!

9. SHOKDU

SHOKDU Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Yup, someone needs to snag that one. Deals like that do not come up often.

10. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Make sure you specify every single last part and detail. He will throw any part that'll work on a gun with zero regard for what it looks like.

11. Mongo40

Mongo40 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    David Sams is everything he claims and more, I've several guns he did for me, He was my Senior Drill at Ft. Benning for two years then went over to the Army Marksmanship Unit to be one of their top gunsmiths, he built the service pistols the Army team won with at Camp Pendleton that year and if I remember right was on the cover of Guns and Ammo after that. The things he can do to an AR, M1A or Garand (or any Gun)are impressive, I have a M1 Garand he did a trigger job on, glass bedded, NM sites, tightened up the gas tube, thing shoots incredible, Springfield Champion, he did a trigger job on, added a beaver tail, an hammer, tightened the slide, did something to the ramp an slide so it would load and eject no problem (20 yrs ago so can't remember exactly) and made me some custom ivory micarta grips for it. Made me a really nice hunting rifle out of an old Swedish Mauser that I still use to this day. What I love about him is you give him a weapon to fix or customize he's such a perfectionist that he'll fix other things that he finds that needs done also. You'll never get anything half-assed from him. I might sound a little biased and I am, but wouldn't hesitate to have him customize my 1911s. Last time I spoke with him he had pretty good waiting list so I'd contact him first.

simonp, FullySupported and wrmiller like this.
  12. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    He's legit on the accuracy claims. Wouldn't be at the top of my list, but I've seen his work first hand. I remember reading up in samuse's experience many years ago. Really unfortunate event.

13. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    any luck @FWoo45? Too far for me to go back and forth in 10 days sadly, amazed that this gun has never sold frankly

14. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    He said that he'll be up in the bay area in November and that he'll let me know if it's still for sale then. He said I was the 9th guy from up here to ask that question. No interest down south. We'll see.

simonp likes this.
  15. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    If he comes to the Bay Area I’m all over it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Haha flip for it?

simonp likes this.
  17. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    You’re on! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWoo45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted