Anybody into Mosin Nagant rifles?

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by awpk03s, Feb 23, 2012.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Anybody here collect or shoot these rifles? They have been so cheap for so long, along with the ammo (7.62x54R) - I couldn't pass them up anymore.

I picked up a Chinese Type 53 carbine (modeled after Russian M44) locally a few days ago, and after some elbow grease cleaning it up - I think it's going to be a great shooting rifle. I also have a M91/30 on the way from AIM Surplus.

Here's some pictures of the Type 53. It's from March of 1953 in the 296 factory. All numbers match. It's definitely not pretty, but the metal is in very good shape, some worn patina look in places, but no rust. Bore was dark, but cleaned up pretty good and the rifling is very strong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I picked one up a few weeks back. Actually, a surprisingly good shooter considering how hastily it seems to have been manufactured.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    They are good guns for the money. Hell $200 out the door for one with 440 rds of ammo is a good deal. That is the going price here.

4. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I had 3 at one point. I've been selling off the guns that I don't shoot regularly and are in obsolete calibers. Only Mosin I still have is a Finnish Civil Guard M39 because I haven't found a buyer for it yet.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Have a 91/30 here, made in 1938. Lots of fun and an awesome WHOOOOOOOOMMP when fired

6. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a hex receiver Nagant. I take it out whenever I feel the need to tenderize my shoulder.

7. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    One thing to keep in mind is that the M44's are sighted in with the bayonet extended or the Russian ones are at least. If you shoot some groups with the bayonet extended and some with it folded in, you should notice a change in POI.

8. TinkerPlinkerThinker

TinkerPlinkerThinker New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I have a 91-30. Love it! Wish I could hunt with it. Plan on varmint hunting with it, but need to install a scope. My boy put a New stock, modified bolt, and scope on his,..VERY nice! Makes it a modern looking rifle!

9. RazorBurn

RazorBurn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    I have a 1930 Finnish M27. Very fun rifle to shoot. When I take my M27, Garand, 1903A3 and M1 Carbine to the range I normally attract the older guys and we just sit and shoot the breeze about old battle rifles. Good times indeed!

10. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    I received these in the early 90's and they have always been good fun accurate rifles.

[​IMG]

..MJ..

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted