Anyone ankle carry or bug gun

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Babboonbobo, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have a quick question and was looking for some advice. I recently picked up my first revolver (S&W model 60ls 357mag) and was thinking I want to try an ankle holster to use as a very discreet carry and sometimes as a bug gun!
    Any help with actual experience with this would be greatly appreciated!
    6AA34D20-DE8E-48AC-B279-41F70CA8731D.jpeg C8F1876C-3B55-41BA-AB24-1E2E8FC96439.jpeg

2. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Might work for you. I would have to have someone carrying a step stool for me. I am pretty happy sticking my J frame in a front pocket using an Uncle Mike's. And just starting wearing my Officer's LW in a Miami Classic, that I got from Mike Meints on here. Perfect. But I would like to hear from those that wear a BUG on their ankle.

3. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I carry a custom S&W 360J snubby in a Cozy Partner ankle holster three days a week for about 14 hours a day. I've been doing it for years and the gun is very light so it doesn't bother me but it takes some getting used to. I carried this particular gun as my BUG the last 5 years I was in LE. Ankle carry doesn't make for a super fast draw but with practice you can get to your gun pretty quickly. it is very discreet, I've never had anyone notice I was carrying. I always wear high tops and the holster rides on the top edge of the sneaker giving me a little extra clearance so the gun isn't exposed when I sit or climb stairs.

[​IMG]

4. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    The BugBite neoprene holster is my daily wear with a Colt Mustang. It should carry a snub just fine as well. I find it very comfortable even on 12-15 hr days.
    The gun carries on inside of the leg and the holster has a pocket on the outside for a magazine or knife if desired.
    ADA3D563-2F8D-438C-8579-5BA83191ADB9.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I have been ankle carrying since 1988. I started out with a Sterling 22. Got scared of carrying it loaded, so went to the Beretta 21 with tip up Barrel and DA/SA. Next I upgraded to a chiefs special. This one was my first real gun. :) The ankle holster made me walk funny, so after a long while, I bought a Smith and Wesson Airweight 637 and put laser grips on it. As another upgrade, I bought an LCP which was not really an upgrade. Next a SiG P 238 (380). I liked the sig so much I went for a 9mm Micro carry with Laser grips. This is my current ankle carry. I buy pants a little long, so when on my bike or sitting in a chair I do not show. NO its not the fastest way, but its always with me and if not ankle holster, It may be home. I can't put things in my front pocket, so that is out. I do sometimes put the P238 in my RR pocket with a sticky because it fits. It pulls my pants down, but is handy. Just waiting for some one to say "give me your wallet" The Micro 9 does not fit in my back pocket, so ankle holster or in my "man purse" it goes.
    2 of my ankle holsters are leather, one is a crossbreed made of ballistic nylon. I much prefer the leather one with a simple velcro strap.

I rotate between the 637, P238 and Kimber Micro Carry. My CA Bulldog 44 special also fits in most of my J frame holsters. Again, it makes me walk funny.

I carry no spare ammo. Just a "Fully Loaded" gun.

After a while, its like wearing a watch. I don't notice it.

David

6. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I wanted to ankle carry so I ordered a 5 Shot Leather ankle rig and waited for it to arrive.

Either I have fatter-than-average- ankles or somethings up because the holster could barely make it around my ankle. I wear 5.11 pants to work that are reasonably roomy around the ankle but just holding the holster up to my ankle, I cant imagine it would have let the pants drape over the gun without kinking.

I want to try it again with an LCP or something (5 Shot holster was for G26) but we'll see.

7. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    Several years back I also tried a G26 in a Alessi ankle holster, it didn’t work for me either. Eventually sold it and bought the same holster for a J Frame, carries my 642 for way to many years as a BUG that way with no issues. I still pull it out occasionally for certain functions, usually a day or two ahead of time to get used to it again. It would be easier if my wife understood that untucked shirts are fine everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I ordered some thicker button down shirts for winter work wear and they are SUPER LONG :( I am forced to wear them tucked in and it drives me nuts. I carry in a pocket holster on those days (5.11 cargo pocket).

UBOATDOC and Eric like this.
  9. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    I always wanted Lou to come up with a tuckable APX holster, he and I discussed it several times. I would buy 2, one for my 642 and one for a G43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UBOATDOC likes this.
  10. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Thanks guys, like I said mostly for when it’s not real convenient to carry my regular iwb 1911andvtgst bugbite holster looks interesting!
    Gives me options, I like options plus I only wear baggy Levi’s silver tabs from the 80s & 90s so plenty of leg/ankle room

UBOATDOC likes this.
  11. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I carried a Taurus PT58 (a fat double-stack .380) in an ankle holster for years. As has been mentioned above, the weight feels weird at first but you get used to it. Then when you don’t have it on, it’s a bit like the ministry of silly walks. You’ll also take some skin off your other ankle when you accidentally slam it into the weapon.

Loose fitting pants are a must, I was in a business suit so had plenty of room. I did notice however that I needed another inch (yes that’s what she said) on the length otherwise when sitting the holster was noticeable. I also made sure not to walk up stairs in front of someone if I could avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UBOATDOC likes this.
  12. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I tried ankle carry with various holsters, but could never get used to the feel.

13. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    I have a j frame that I carry on my ankle occasionally. The biggest drawback is getting used to the feel and the time it might take to get to the gun. It's ok for those needing a BUG (I don't personally think I'm one) or deep cover. However even for those who actually train with it it's more a gun you have with you than a gun at the ready.

14. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    When I ankle carry my j frame I use Galco and bootleg jeans. I like it down low wrapped around my ankle. I find it easier to get to it this way.

15. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I sometimes have a S&W Shield 9 in an ankle holster, however, since I acquired a Baer Stinger, probably going to get a left hand Sparks Summer Special and it will be the back up to my Baer TRS if the situation truly dictates that.

16. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    @Babboonbobo , TTT at your service. !
    After putting the minds of our brilliant design team to work ,we have solved your quandary.
    Introducing the model AC 57 and Ac91a ankle discreet carry systems , AC 57 married man disguise and the Ac91a ankle monitor
    Hidey Holster,no one will know that you are carrying. !!!
    aC57

93B7204F-11C3-4845-B38D-1A78CFCA0429.jpeg
    Ac91a
    2FFC94D8-DACB-47B8-8ACA-3DF1B6F4835B.jpeg
    Now available in the model 69 marital aid style
    6333828C-8741-4AD2-99DB-9BDE5C7C7010.jpeg
    Send cash and shipping both ways

Kip, Babboonbobo, bulldog89 and 3 others like this.
  17. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I carried a back up gun (S&W M60) in a Bianchi ankle holster every day on patrol for 6 years and frequently off duty. I was in all kind of foot chases, jumping over fences, etc., and never had a problem. I still carry in an ankle holster from time to time, when the weather is warm and I do not want to wear some baggy shirt, which screams, "He's carrying a gun." I currently use a plain old Uncle Mike's, which is adjustable and holds the weapon securely, with my Sig 938. As has been said, it takes some time to get used to it. Because of the weight, it tends to make you feel self-conscious, like the gun is visible to everyone, but it is not. You also have to develop and master a protocol for getting the weapon out safely and into battery if you need it. You cannot be as fast as with a waist holster, so recognize that and plan accordingly. The standard method is simply to go down on the opposite knee, pull up the trousers with the off hand, and draw with the shooting hand. I highly recommend it, provided you have a secure holster with a thumb break retaining strap or similar securing device and you practice enough to be safe.

18. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've found weight to be the biggest issue with ankle carry and comfort. My 360J weighs just over 13oz with the steel 9mm conversion cylinder in it and a bit under 11oz with the titanium .38spl cylinder. Either way, it's light enough that I forget it's there. Something like a G26 would just be too bulky and heavy for me to wear on my ankle.

19. L-2

L-2 New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Here's what I use and has worked for me, usually with my S&W 642-1.

http://unclemikes.com/products/holsters/concealed-carry-holsters/ankle-holsters
    I've used both a Size 0 and a larger Size 12 Uncle Mike's ankle holster. Uncle Mike's didn't advise using these holsters for my 642 as it didn't have an exposed hammer, as the OP's Mod. 60 has, but I was able to adjust the thumb-strap and it has worked fine for almost 20 years.

The other holster is a Galco AG159B:
    https://www.galcogunleather.com/ankle-glove-ankle-holster-_8_6_1019.html

I mainly wore the gun on-the-ankle while working as an LEO, the main gun being a full-size Glock 22 Gen3 or Glock 17 Gen4.

For me, with my large calves, a Galco "Ankle Glove" with a thumb-strap tends to dig into my calf. The model I bought has no thumb-snap.

I also tried a Fobus brand ankle holster for a short time. The ankle band was made from material which was too thin. The thinness of this strap tended to collapse, ending bunched up within its buckle.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Greenrunner and Babboonbobo like this.
  20. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I carry a sig 238 on the ankle . Carried a mustang for a lot of years

HOTCHKIS likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted