Anyone EDC?

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by cfl4rat, Oct 28, 2018.

1. cfl4rat

cfl4rat Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    As the title says, how practical is it to carry a full-size 2011? I’ve never owned or shot one but I do have a STI Costa Carry Comp locked down with Dan @ BBP. I have plans to run the piss out of it and possibly get into some matches. I currently EDC my full-size Reid Ratrod IWB in a rig from Carl @ Exodus and it rides perfect. I’m aware I may have to remove the MW but just wanted to see what others are doing.
    Thanks in advance.
    Pic is well because threads suck without them :)

473E2291-13E7-4069-AD2A-A2FE60D78FE7.jpeg

2. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I carry DVC Carry sized guns quite often in AIWB and OWB holsters by Garrett. In fall gear you can quite easily carry a full sized gun like the CCC especially if you took off the mag well (a 1 pin and 2 minute job).

3. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    God I love the Ratrod.

CT72, azpoolguy and cfl4rat like this.
  4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Im diggin the hell outta that Colt..

CT72 and cfl4rat like this.
  5. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    C8BB2BBC-5CF9-4469-B550-02A57A7F042F.jpeg I carry a Nighthawk Talon in DelFatti with a mag well. No problem for me, but I am a big guy 6’7” 275 lbs.

Attached Files:

xerts1191 and tightloops like this.
  6. cfl4rat

Sep 18, 2012
    Is the grip really that much bulkier than a 1911 with standard grips?

7. cfl4rat

Sep 18, 2012
    ya I have no issues at all carrying a full size 1911, my concern is the double stack 2011

8. cfl4rat

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks for the compliments on the Ratrod, I’ve came close to selling it a time or two but I quickly came to my Senses as it’s the only Reid gun I would ever be able to get my hands on, plus it handles so well.

BBP likes this.
  9. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Missed that you were asking about a 2011. Not my cup of tea, so I have no experience there.

cfl4rat likes this.
  10. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    The double stack isn't all that much wider, especially if you have slim-line scales on it.

V.I.P..jpg

xerts1191 and SCS1911 like this.
  11. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I can solve your conundrum... send to me ASAP.:o.o:

CT72 likes this.
  12. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I think a 2011 carries pretty well. I can’t tell the difference over a govt 1911 with standard grips. I’d drop the magwell or pick up a slim version.
    The opening is plenty large for reloads IMO.

ETA the grip is a little more square. Thickness is about the same.

NPV, BBP and cfl4rat like this.
  13. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Yup, carry a 4.0 DS in 9 all the time. Have also carried my Nighthawk Falcon double stack as well. No problems.

cfl4rat, NPV and BBP like this.
  14. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Piggybacking off what ChuckC said double stack mags tend to be their own magwell of sorts due to the angled shoulders of the magazines so I don't think you'll lose much if you ditch the magwell

cfl4rat and BBP like this.
  15. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Agree.

ChuckC likes this.
  16. Nemain

Nemain Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    2011’s make excellent carry guns, lighter weight than 1911’s and the same basic profile. The smaller carry guns are the easiest to CCW like the DVC carry, Costa VIP and the new Tactical. The DVC Carry is the lightest and most compact 2011 that I have so they are a breeze to carry.
    The Costa Carry Comp is the best if you don’t mind packing a full sized pistol, it’s amazing.....light weight and a pure joy to shoot.

BBP likes this.
  17. cfl4rat

Sep 18, 2012
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear! I have zero issues carrying my full size 1911 IWB so the CCC sounds like it will be a perfect match for me. It will be here Friday, I’ll be sure to do a review. Thanks for all your input guys!

18. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Awesome! Let us know how you like her.

cfl4rat likes this.
  19. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Just got in a STI Tactical (4.15 in barrel), my first STI, all I can say is wow! Feels great in the hand and going to the range Saturday.
    I have been carrying it around the house in a IWB and OWB holster with no issues.
    Yes the grip is a little thicker but not much, feels just like the Sig I normally carry.
    More to follow. Pic added just for proof, :) DLC finish, 9mm.
    pic without and with magwell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  20. Nemain

Nemain Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Very nice, the Tactical is the best value out there....loaded with features and a smoking good price, nothing else will touch it.

awmp likes this.