Anyone else get Red Dot distortion with bifocals?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by jmr986, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Take the CZ 75 TSO with the brand new optic mount and Trijicon RMR to the range today. First time with the optics. Put the dot on target, shoot and the slide locks back. Smack it and it goes back in to battery. OK maybe its the new mags. Does it again, and yet again. Worked flawless the other 2 outings. Slide wont go back in to battery. The only difference was the addition of the mount. As soon as I get home I start to take the mount off. Quarter turn on one of the mounting screws, and the slide snaps back. Lesson one: make sure the screws are the proper length as to not interfere with the slide. I used 2 of the original gas pedal screws (only needs 2), which were perfect, but the third one ( the mount uses all 3 holes) that came with the mount was about 1/8" to long. Removed the one screw, ran back to the range and put 100 flawless rounds through it. I'll take it apart to clean tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

Lesson two. So I go to use the red dot for the second trip to the range, and instead of the sharp dot it looks like paint splatter! Oh jeez, I'll bet I screwed it up trying to rack the slide. Just keep shooting. So go home see nothing in the manual. Tried it with my glasses off and the dots back?! I had cataract and corrective surgery in my shooting eye. So when I was at the range, I had clear eye protection on (script glasses off) to test my new eye out. At home it was bifocals on, so sure enough, took them off and there's the dot and the splatter is gone.

Lesson three, I'm not as smart as I think I am.

Anyone else have the red dot experience?

wcanterbury likes this.
  2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Have the same issue with a Vortex Viper 6MOA. With me it only splatters with the larger red dots. The smaller the MOA, the better for these old eyes...

3. gunfighter45

gunfighter45 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2012
    In a lot of cases the "amoeba dot" is caused from the user having an astigmatism. This is assuming use of a quality scope

4. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    The more I turn up the brightness the worse it gets for me. I have a 6.5moa rmr, the dot is crisp for me

wcanterbury likes this.
  5. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    This is why I prefer the EoTech circle dot. My astigmatism amd red dots don't mix well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

45caldude, dstallguy and wcanterbury like this.
  6. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    My astigmatism is so minor I never noticed it until late one day doing some dry fire my RMR dot looked to be growing tree roots. I don’t wear glasses or contacts and changing between polarized Oakley’s and clear lenses doesn’t change it. It’s not bad enough to effect accuracy though. I also only notice it on slow fire where I’m focused on the dot and not the target as much.

dstallguy likes this.
  7. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I have a three inch dot and it drives me nuts, really a short putt...
    Take off my eyeglass's and the dot sits there nice and round. Hate it. Will try to sell it at the range today..

8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    My right eye had damage to the cornea many years ago, and if I use it with a red dot I get a couple of 'ghosts'. My left eye is fine, as long as I don't try to focus on the dot, which you're not supposed to do anyway.

If I try looking through a RMR with either eye and my readers on, it's a mess. :)

9. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    My dot size is 3.25. Hmmm, seems to affect us old guys with astigmatism. Now I’ll have to try the MRO on my AR. Sheesh.

10. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Astigmatism is the culprit assuming the device is good.

11. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Easiest way to check the device is with a camera, take a picture of it...

gun_fan111 likes this.
  12. Mistman

Mistman Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Yep, the astigmatism sort makes for an imperfect dot. I've got a couple 2moa RMR's, at the lowest intensity level it's not bad, that's where they stay. It's tough trying to hold a real tight group at any distance as the dot smears a bit. Other than that I love them, I can acquire the target pretty quickly now and follow up shots are coming quicker.

I have one on a S&W Victory .22 and can take the heads off grouse at 25 yds with some support, got a blue jay @ 45 yds in the chicken coop off-hand the other day.

It's really only when trying to shoot a really tight group off a bench that the dot gets frustrating.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  13. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Yup..... my Venom is good at lower power settings..... turn it up and poop!

14. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    I haven’t found a red dot I can use because of my astigmatism, but the Vortex Spitfire prism sight is the answer to my problems.

15. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Another way to test is to rotate the optic mounted on the fire arm. Mine always “blooms” the same spot to my eye no mater what direction the optic body is oriented.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted