1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo...question to the brain trust (LOL)...i have multiple full size 1911’s and 1 CCO (.45acp) and 1 Officer (9mm)....

i traded a while ago for a nice DW CCO (with S&A magwell/arched MSH i installed) that I sometimes carry with either a flush fit 7 round mag or an 8 round extended mag. Either way it fits my hand a bit better with the extra 1/4” of the magwell (XL hands). With the 8 round mag it is essentially a full size frame, and i find it just about as concealable as with the 7 round flush fit mag.

With that said...I have 5 other full size 1911’s...instead of selling/trading for a true Commander size or buying a Commander, I was wondering if it would be feasible to have a ‘smith cut 1 down to Commander size or fit a Commander top end....

too expensive? Too much work?

any/all inputs are appreciated!

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Tagged out of curiosity.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
[...]any/all inputs are appreciated![...]
Well, in that case...

How good are you with a hacksaw and file? Because, I got an idea. ;)

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Thinking about it, didn't CT Brian cut down a couple of his guns / models?

I am sure some genius such as @pistolwretch could do such a thing, if your pockets are deep enough but probably cheaper to buy what you want or have someone build it from scratch.

Reactions: Dub and B81

·
The Tinker
4,486 Posts
Chopping the slide and putting a bull barrel and reverse plug in it is not a big deal. If you want a barrel bushing, then a new slot would need to be cut on the inside of the slide.

A full-sized frame can be milled for a real commander slide, but after milling it can no longer be used with a full length slide.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chopping the slide and putting a bull barrel and reverse plug in it is not a big deal. If you want a barrel bushing, then a new slot would need to be cut on the inside of the slide.

A full-sized frame can be milled for a real commander slide, but after milling it can no longer be used with a full length slide.
Hmmmm...I'd be open to a Bull barrel...a little more weight up front can be a good thing...and I have plenty of other bushing barreled full sized 1911's for USPSA Single Stack, etc....

Reactions: Mike A

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, in that case...

How good are you with a hacksaw and file? Because, I got an idea. ;)
If I recall correctly, I read once that someone (not here) had done that exact thing....hacksaw to the front end and then installed a bull barrel and reverse plug as @wrmiller suggested....

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
If I recall correctly, I read once that someone (not here) had done that exact thing....hacksaw to the front end and then installed a bull barrel and reverse plug as @wrmiller suggested....
I was just being a smart ass. Any resemblance my comment may have to good advice is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I’m a full size Government kinda guy, but I carry a CCO more often. The Government sees all the action at IDPA and USPSA matches. But the Commander & CCO are my daily companion. They’re tools and tools have different jobs. While these tools can multi task, depending on body type some tools just fit better. I’d never NOT want to have a CCO, Commander & a Government in my tool box.

·
Dremel jockey
5,514 Posts
If you shorten a 5" slide to 4 1/4" the recoil spring tunnel will be too short to accommodate a commander length spring.
The spring tunnel of the slide would be about 5/16" of an inch shorter.
Shorter springs have less life and are less linear in force than longer ones.
On the positive side, the demi-commander would have as much slide stroke as a 5".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.