Anyone Familiar With The Springfield EMP?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by ~JM~, Jan 13, 2019.

1. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Somewhat interested in a 9mm EMP.

Any advise?

I see there are two barrel lengths available. Aside from the obvious, shorter = easier to conceal, longer = better sight radius, are there any other considerations?

Thank you.

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I had the EMP4 which was a decent gun, they also have them in what they now call a Contour Carry which is a bobtailed version of the 4" pistol. What I liked about the 4" I had was it had 10 round mags that come with it. While mine ended up being a decent gun which I customized a bit, and then sold. I have seen and heard of a fair amount of issues with the EMP in general. Then there is the fact that about 35% of the parts are proprietary to the gun because of the design. One of the biggest complaints I hear is cosmetic issues with the rear of the slide frame not lining up very well. A buddy of mine had a 3" that the slide set near a full 1/4" in front of the frame while the pistol was in battery. So, maybe not much help, but I can say with a pretty good degree of certainty, you got a 50/50 chance on a good one or a not so good one.

simonp, Manki77 and boatdoc like this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  4. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    I've had four 3inch models and currently still have one, they all were great.
    I'm not quite sure where the 50% is coming from, but from personal experience, that's not the case.
    Buy with confidence, they are reliable and accurate

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Steve Owens and ZoidMeister like this.
  5. Joseph Medugno

Joseph Medugno Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I have a 3inch EMP that runs perfectly with everything I put thru it.

Stogies likes this.
  6. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm vey happy for you but your personal experience isn't any more or less relevant than mine. My personal experience is that if you buy a gun from Springfield it is going to go back for warranty work.

Four brand new guns, four returns for warranty. Two EMPs - a 3" 9mm and a 4" Carry Contour 9mm are the relevant guns here. Purchased new, 6 months apart, from two different LGS - I think they even came from different distributors.

The 3" had to have the entire slide replaced, the 4" had to have the firing pin re-centered with a bushing. Both had to have the feed ramps recut, the ejectors pinned, the firing pins replaced. The 4" had hammer follow issues

To assume everyone will have a great experience because you did is not helpful. I do not assume everyone will have a crappy experience like I did, but the very best one can say about buying a new Springfield EMP is it's a crap shoot.

Springfield fixed the guns. As most everyone will say, they have great customer service. But you're very likely to need it. I carry the 4" quite a bit now. It's fine. Now.

Any experienced shooter who knows what to look for in the gun and doesn't mind thoroughly testing and validating it's safe and reliable operation can do fine. But there is no way I would recommend a new or inexperienced shooter should be handed one of these out of the box and told they can depend on it for their life.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

simonp and Steve Owens like this.
  7. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    I've owned approximately eight SA guns.
    The only issue I had was a loose front sight which SA took care right away.
    The OP asked for opinions on a firearm which I gave him based solely on my own experience.
    I never mentioned or even insinuated that my opinion was gospel and that nobody else's mattered.
    Obviously your experience has been different than mine and that sucks,

8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    The good news on the "pre-owned" one I purchased, is the previous owner sent this one back to SA to get the exact work done you mention above. Feed ramp, ejector pinned, not sure about the firing pin work. I need to get it out to the range to see if this is an issue.

Stogies likes this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    It is obvious nearly all of us has a go to brand or manufacturer based on our over all experience with said manufacturers. Truth is everyone gets it wrong sometimes and sometimes it's just right. Kind of like the story of the 3 little bears, good chance that all the porage was the same temperature just the Bears perception of them were different. Anytime in my experience that you buy a new 1911 or even a used one your taking a chance we all take. Some are good, some not so good from the same manufacturers. Quality control of many companies have went way down hill in the past decade from my overall view and perception, because us consumers allow it to be that way. If we didn't just want fast and easy, we wouldn't settle for the status quo. Anyway my 2 cents for what it's worth. We all know how finicky the 1911 platform can be anyhow.. So, chances of one needing work usually stands on the margin of 80% I'd say..

simonp, Uncle Bob and Stogies like this.
  10. David Jackson

David Jackson Member

Sep 27, 2017
    I have an EMP 3" and it works fine, shoots fine etc. etc. I admit I don't have that many rounds through it yet, maybe only a couple of hundred, but so far no function problems, gun is more accurate than I am. However, the rear slide to frame fit is poor; poor enough that I doubt I will ever buy another SA. It was quite an expensive little gun and if that's the best SA can do, then I am glad I don't need another one. I did some price shopping in my little town and the cheapest I could find was over $1200 OTD. In the People's Republic of Kalifornia the choice of small 9mm carry guns in the 1911 format, so to speak, is very limited. The EMP is the only one I could find which I could buy new. I carry it and shoot it when I get the chance,
    so what it looks like matters less than whether or not it functions.

11. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I've been on the fence about a 3" EMP for awhile. I think I'll just stay that way. Came real close though.

12. JimP

JimP Active Member

Mar 25, 2019
    I have had a 3” EMP9 for 10+ years. Carry it nearly every day and practice with it monthly or so. Never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I lusted after one for many years. I found one locally for a good price and built it up.
    B75E7822-E0B5-4E03-8DC9-995E9E77A684.jpeg
    It had a few issues from the factory that I was not going to pay a smith to repair but Springfield covered it under warrenty. Their repairs were not done very well and I still needed to rework their repairs to make the gun function. I carried it for a bit and just wasn’t happy with how it balanced on the belt line so I sold it to a friend that had wanted one as well.

goodguywithagun, simonp and WC145 like this.
  14. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I bought a 3" all black a few weeks ago .It's a one owner . The guy said that Mr Harrison had gave it a tune up . I thought yea right . I'm sure he was truthful I've put 500 rounds now .With no problems. It's a sweet shooter.

15. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I bought a 9mm EMP4 shortly after they came out for our youngest to shoot in action pistol. It's been great, it's an accurate, reliable gun. We've never had any trouble with it in the two or three years that he ran it, and not a single failure that wasn't shooter induced. Now, between, girls and computers, he's gotten away from shooting competition and I'm debating what to do with it, it's too small for me. Maybe I can get his mother interested in going to matches with me.:roll:

[​IMG]

16. hiillgtot

hiillgtot Active Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I have both the 3" and 4" they are excellent CCW/EDC. very reliable.

17. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    My EMP 4 has been awesome.
    It's my EDC now.
    If I were getting a brand new one I think I'd like the bobbed frame version.

18. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Me too because the EMP fits my hand so well. I'm now favoring a Bobtail 1911 instead. I've had good luck with SA and SA Inc, but I'll wait and see.

19. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I have a 3" EMP and sadly I was one of the ones who got a crap one with a laundry list of issues.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/jardine-emp-3-9mm.75791/#post-1190513

Now that John worked it over it runs like a swiss watch but it took a lot of time, money and effort to get it there. No way I would buy one if I didnt have John to go through and repair it and probably wouldn't buy one period living in the free states where there were other options available to me.

azpoolguy likes this.
  20. Tallerico

Tallerico Member Supporting Addict

Sep 10, 2019
    I have never owned a 1911 under 5 inches, but can't shorter 1911s be more problematic?

21. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Yes

Generally the commander is not an issue, Baer did his own take on the commander and it seems to have resulted in hit or miss success but otherwise it’s not an issue. Even a 4” 1911 is generally reliable - Wilson and Kimber produce them with success. Go below 4” and it takes a skilled smith to make them run reliably.

A 3” gun even if reliable you’ll end up changing the springs often to keep it reliable and not beating up the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted