Anyone fitted a hera carbine kit to a Umarex 1911?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Down Under shooter, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Down Under shooter

Down Under shooter New Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Hi, just signed up to this forum to see if anyone can help with some information. I've tried google without any success.

I'm an Australian with a Colt Gold Cup 1911 .22lr pistol. It is marked Colt but made by Walther in Germany. I believe in the USA it is sold under the Umarex brand. I would love a genuine Colt in .45 ACP but they are very strictly controlled here.

I am trying to determine if my pistol will fit into a Hera Carbine kit. Most of the threads about this that I've read only mention two things, firstly the hera will only suit mil spec 1911's, and secondly, why would you bother.

In Australia it is possible to own a handgun under very strict conditions. It is illegal for me to even touch a .45 mil spec pistol, despite having a handgun licence. And .45 1911's are very rare here due to our licencing laws. In fact, any pistol above 38/357 is rare. Nobody in my club is permitted to own one. This makes it impossible for me to compare my .22 1911 to a mil spec 45 to determine if it will fit in the kit. Also, only one shop in the entire country sells the kit, and they are 1000km from me. It is most likely illegal for me to take my pistol to that shop to see first hand if it will fit. There are very strict rules about where you can take and use your pistol.

As for the why would you bother argument, in Australia semi auto carbines are prohibited unless you are a professional shooter. Even then there are severe restrictions on what you can own. The only chance we have of owning a semi auto carbine is to have a pistol in a carbine kit. And even then that is illegal in some States.

SO what I'm looking for is information form memebrs here who have either fitted or tried to fit a Umarex 1911 to a hera carbine kit, or who can compare the Umarex Golt Cup to a mil spec 1911 to see if the frame is the same dimensions.

Thankyou in advance,

2. bamashooter

bamashooter Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Sounds as though the term "mil-spec" being used as a description of fitment compatibility, is referring to a G.I. style 1911. Therefore, the Gold Cup has the beavertail - style grip safety and commander hammer as opposed to the G.I. style GS and spur hammer. Additionally, the frame tangs will differ between the two styles. The front/rear sights on the G.I. style are likely smaller and fixed as compared to the sights on the Gold Cup. This could impact any engineered clearance between the kit and the donor pistol. As I view the attached video link, it appears they use the term mil-spec to refer to a basic 5" 1911. Your .22 uses the same size grips as a full size .45acp 1911. That appears to be the critical measurement as you would remove your grip panels, place the pistol into the kit and attach the kit to the pistol with your existing grip screws. Could probably contact the manufacturer or a distributor for the answer.

3. Down Under shooter

Oct 24, 2015
    thank you for your response, bamashooter

4. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Hope it works out for you. All I have to say is WOW those laws suck!!! I can't even imagine. We must make sure that never happens here.

41 Charlie likes this.
  5. Down Under shooter

Oct 24, 2015
    in 1996 when the new laws were introduced most of the newly banned guns were hidden away or buried. Despite popular opinion, the vast majority of Australian shooters didn't give up there guns. They just hid them. And now, 20 years later, as state police more frequently block country roads to search all vehicles for guns, more and more of those shooters offload those hidden guns onto the black market. All our Prime Minister in 1996 achieved was create a massive stockpile of illegal guns for the black market.

6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I can only imagine what would happen here in the good ole USA if our politicians try this! There is already an underground black market for guns they have no chance of ever stopping. Guns as well as EVERYTHING you can imagine is easy enough to find.
    Typical politician thought process, there still guns out there that's why crime is not gone! So we must find every single one, watch out for the giant flying metal detector:)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted