Anyone handle the new Colt Competition Plus yet?

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by fieldgrade, Nov 26, 2019.

1. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    C31B4861-C8C1-405B-BB95-63AF07BD36B0.jpeg One should be arriving at my LGS soon to have a look at.

I think the primary difference from other Colt Competitions is two tone and 25LPI front strap checkering, and Series 70 firing system like the more recent Competition offerings.

StLRichard, Snakebill, Dub and 4 others like this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Do you know if the MSH is still plastic?

Mike A likes this.

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I just swapped them out for the Black Aluminum ones.
    My 2011 had a plastic trigger as well. Swapped it for a John Harison
    long black one.

B81 likes this.
  4. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    FG is this a Gold Cup?

5. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    I don’t know, but I’ll be putting a Smith and Alexander one piece magwell/mainspring housing on it if I buy it.

Dub and Mike A like this.
  6. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    No sir. I believe the Gold Cup has the fully adjustable Bomar style rear target sight.

The Novak low mount rear sight on the Colt Competitions are adjustable for elevation, but you have to drift them in the dovetail for windage, if necessary.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Dub, KS95B40 and Mike A like this.
  7. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    I thought they had developed a modified line of Gold Cups.

All in all a nice looking 1911.

8. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    This one is an addition to their existing line of Colt Competition models.

Mike A likes this.
  9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I thought the regular Colt Competition was also series 70?

Mike A and unclebuck5 like this.
  10. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Do you mean the Gold Cup?
    I am not up on all Colt offers, but my 2011 1911 has the Flat MSH & long trigger.
    It has the S80 safety system.
    As far back as I can remember Colt put a Flat MSH & long trigger on the Gold Cups.

Seems like Colt is trying to do factory mods to stay competitive with other Company's.

11. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I'm looking at this:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/competition-ser70-45acp-bl-81

I think the main difference between this and the new Plus version is the front strap checkering, but I may be wrong.

Mike A and fieldgrade like this.
  12. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Series 70 Firing System ensures a clean crisp trigger pull.

That's what it says.

B81 likes this.
  13. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Earlier ones a few years ago were Series 80.

This is accurate. I had a “blued" 9mm Colt Competition a few years ago.

From a post I put up just now at my local gun forum:

I got to handle this gun today.

Locks up tight, slide to frame fit is typical Colt. Not too tight, not too loose. Trigger breaks clean at what I am guessing is about 5 lbs. Mainspring housing is metal, as opposed to some I’ve seen that were plastic. 25LPI checkering front and back looks good. Slide flats are polished. Not to a high sheen but more of a brushed finish, but very nice looking. Undercut trigger guard. Rear Novak sight is adjustable for elevation. Thumb safety is squishy, like other new Colts I’ve handled and owned. Overall it looks like it’s worth the money. I was at the LGS when they closed early at 3 today so we didn’t do a deal today, and I have two friends that may be interested in it, so we’ll see on Friday morning.

B81 likes this.
  14. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I had a two-tone Colt S70 Competition in .45, it was a very nice gun, good shooter and very accurate. The only thing it needed was checkering. If I hadn't replaced mine with a Custom Shop modded S70 reissue I'd grab one of these new Competitions.

15. Cowboyfromhell

Cowboyfromhell Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Whoa...wait a minute. A previous post stated that colt uses plastic triggers and plastic mainspring housing. Is this true?...I finally have Colts on the ok to buy list and always wanted one. Might not get it if they are truly using plastic...

16. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    The Competitions have aluminum triggers and Colt has been using polymer MSHs in some of their guns for decades. If you want something different they're easily swapped. I changed the MSH in my Competition with a Chen SI magwell, the fit was near perfect.

17. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  18. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Last years model of Colt Competition is series 70 with long aluminum trigger and plastic MSH. I replaced the MSH with a stainless chain link, and put on a short trigger (small hands, smells like cabbage). Still under $1,000 with a trigger job that I did myself. The pistol shoots great.

Crash83 likes this.
  19. AF_ONE

AF_ONE Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2019
    They are good for the money--Im not a fan of the fiber optic--if you like FO, you will love it

20. johnmyster

johnmyster Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 4, 2020
    IMG_2732.JPG IMG_2733.JPG
    I picked up one recently as I couldn't resist. My points for comparison are a STI Trojan, a handfull of early Kimber Series I guns (Royal, Gold Matches, etc.), and a few recent Dan Wessons. It's my first Colt.

Fieldgrade's remarks are accurate regarding my example. The safety is stiff and the lever itself is the more narrow "carry" profile. It has a slight click when going to fire, but is squishy when going to safe. The beavertail is not as blended as my other guns. The undercut is well done and the checkering has a very aggressive bite to it. The grips are also aggressive. The slide fit is loose, compared to my other examples, enough that you can rock it up/down and side/side by hand. The trigger is pretty good, and MSH is metal.

Surprisingly, only came with one mag. Seller says this is a new Colt trend. True?

Undecided if it's a keeper or a seller at this point.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    WC145 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted