1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt 1911 that was gone through and built by an excellent 'smith who specialized--and was very successful--in building pin guns in the 1990s. Unlike most of his work, this gun was not compensated. I had a similar gun stolen, so he kindly offered to exchange my my insurance settlement check for his personal carry gun.

Anyway, I stripped and cleaned the gun a few days ago, and noticed a slight "slosh" in the guide rod. So I went back to the build notes, and sure enough, the rod was listed as a Harrt's. It's not marked at all, but there's definitely something happening inside. I always considered this pistol to have a different recoil, and now I think I know why.

I have trap and skeet guns that have mercury recoil vials in their stocks, and I know you can still get these and African magnum rifles fitted with them. At least in those applications, I think they work to dampen perceived recoil.

But what do the cognoscenti here think? Do they work in pistols? Harrt's is long OOB, but is there a modern equivalent? Or is all that's available heavy solid tungsten models?

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Years ago I owned a couple Harrt's guide rods for Glocks. I did not think they were all that effective and traded mine off. The sloshing you hear is supposed to be mercury inside the rod. I never cut one open to see, but that is what the maker said. Have not heard of any similar product, but I am somewhat oblivious to current technology.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago I owned a couple Harrt's guide rods for Glocks. I did not think they were all that effective and traded mine off. The sloshing you hear is supposed to be mercury inside the rod. I never cut one open to see, but that is what the maker said. Have not heard of any similar product, but I am somewhat oblivious to current technology.
Thanks. It was more feeling than hearing.

It would be interesting to find an Addict who has a Harrt's and conventional solid rod that both fit the same pistol, and A-B them.

My perception is that there is less muzzle flip, which is probably what this race gun 'smith had in mind...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts