Anyone out there know anything about the SA V10

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Karsten, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I have someone wanting to trade a V10 that have No Finish left so it would be a Project gun to me to send out........What is the Good and or Bad. It appears to be an an Office Size.

Thanks

Karsten

2. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Well, as I recall those are ported -- 2 rows with 5 vents each. Compact pistol that is ported like that would not appeal to me for carry, but it might be fun just to shoot. The ones I saw were marked "FI Brazil" on the dust cover.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    There are some very good reasons SA didn't make a bunch of those guns. Enuff said I hope.

Rick McC. likes this.
  4. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Okay, Let's hear it Steve and I am not Doubting anyone,,,,,I sorta remember them from way back when maybe before SA's 1st attempt at the Compact.

I have a 2nd Gen SA LWT Compact that is awesome.

Karsten

5. Speedy396

Speedy396 Active Member Supporting Addict

Jun 5, 2015
    I had a stainless version that worked surprisingly well. Based on reviews, these seemed to have various function issues. I never had any issues with ball ammo and was accurate for a compact. I only noticed the occaisional flash from porting, but never shot any hot ammo. Good steel with nice fit and finish for a factory gun. Be sure to get extra springs. They have really poor resale like a Kimber, so just be aware. I sold mine for $500 and my local gun shops wouldn’t take it in trade.

6. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    I've had 2 or 3 through the years, gotten on trades. Would take 'em to the range to function test prior to selling 'em. They shot - but that porting gave you a fireball you'd not want to see at night, and the bounce-back you'd get if you were shooting under a roof of ANY kind was nuts. Never regretted sellin' 'em off as soon as I could.

7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    If you can get it running or keep it running I'd be surprised.. Not one of Springfields best endeavors. Then again back then fun guns usually weren't.. They were a novelty. Some ran ad some did not and those that did usually didn't run well, but hey sounds like you already want it so don't matter. I never said Springfield didn't make good compacts or lightweights but, this wasn't one of em. You don't have to take my word for it. if you get it and don't end up liking it, they'll be someone else the fire ball will impress.

Uncle Bob and GoetzTalon like this.
  8. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've shot a couple of V10s and owned a few compact Springfields, no troubles with them and I don't recall seeing a bunch of complaints anywhere about either not running well. Depending on ammo any ported gun can have impressive muzzle blast, though ammo with low flashier helps. Both the V10 and any other compact S.A. 1911s are kind of odd ducks, do you have a lot of experience with them? I'm curious what you're basing your opinion on.

9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I've both owned one and knew at least three other guys within about 150 mi radius who owned them again I didn't say Springfield didn't make good compacts But, I did say this wasn't one of em. Just trying to help a guy out. There was a reason why they weren't made very long.. mine shot okay once in awhile but very inconsistent it would most likely be a project gun if it had a good finish. Guns are Jammo Matics I'd be hard pressed taking a free one.

10. sparkyfender

sparkyfender Active Member

Nov 26, 2017
    I bought one new back in the 90s, polished stainless. Good looking gun, mine could not fire full magazine without jamming no matter the brand of mag used.

Edges were very sharp, cut myself a couple of times on the slide. Traded it off with full disclosure.

Integrity Arms likes this.
  11. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    Ive always wanted to add one of the non-ported versions to my collection but those are really really hard to come by. Depends on what the cash value of the trade is.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted