Anyone Own and Carry a Walther PPQ, PPS or PPQsc?? Thoughts on These Pistols Please.

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Nalajr, Jul 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

I have been kinda interested in the Walther pistols for a while now. I own a PPK/s that I used to carry quite a bit and a P22 that’s great fun especially when using my buddy’s suppressor. I don’t have any experience with any of these.

So, I’d like to know what you think of the PPQ, the PPS and the PPQsc in the 9mm versions. The 45acp version of the PPQ looks pretty nice too.

I read that the trigger in these pistols is probably the best, or close to it, in the striker fired pistol world. It felt great when I dry fired it some.

I’ve got a Glock 19 and have wondered about trading it towards the PPQm2 with the 4 inch barrel in 9mm.
    I wonder how it shoots and the accuracy compared to my 19. I know it doesn’t have nearly the aftermarket parts available that the Glock family has. What do you all think of the 4 inch versions, the PPQm2 ??

The other Walther pistols I’d like to know about are carry pistols, the PPS which is a 6/7/8 round 9mm with a 3.2 inch barrel at 19.4 ounces. There is one version that is red dot sight capable.
    These versions look like they would carry well in a pocket, if you needed to. How do these shoot? Would any of you choose this Walther over another one of the multitude of other sub-compact pistols?

Lastly, the one I think I would favor over the others is the PPQsc. These have a barrel of 3 1/2 inches, hold 10 or 15 and weigh 18 ounces. If anyone has one of these and carries it, I’d like to hear your thoughts and experiences with it. How does it compare to other double stack sub-compact pistols made specifically for carry? I don’t think any of these have a red dot capable version.

If anyone owns these pistols, would you kindly tell your thoughts on them? What made you go with the Walther over the other carry pistols available?

Any info you care to share would be really appreciated.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I appreciate it.
    Please everyone, take care of yourself and your family and friends. Take all precautions you can. Have a great 4th weekend!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    I own the M1 version. It is a no sell pistol and I really like it. Great trigger. I actually kept it over my HK VP9.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    They're good transitions between the Glock and 1911's. Considered a PPQ myself for a while, just because of the trigger.

Currently own a PP (1968) and a PPK/S (1996), so those are of no help.

Z

2tone likes this.
  4. TherewasX

TherewasX 1911 Addict

Jun 26, 2019
    I have a P5 Compact but it doesn't seen you are interested in that.

5. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I've owned every caliber of PPQ's & in the 9mm both M1 & M2. I think the PPQ is the best striker fired pistol that money can buy. And even though I'm a HK guy, the PPQ is better. All the PPQ's triggers were awesome but my 45 was the best. IMHO, PPQ's stand alone at the top of the striker fired list!!!

The PPS? I have two, both are my wife's carry guns & one a new model & one the old model. One stays on her bed stand & the other in her SUV. As far as quality & dependability, there great, #1 in their class but the trigger is no where as smooth & light as a PPQ. I guess if I had to describe them, their trigger is a little gritty and heavier than the PPQ.

I've had no experience with the PPQ SC but I'd bet that their quality is the same as the PPQ.
    I'd have to rate all PPQ's #1, AAAAA+++++.

1911 crazed and boatdoc like this.
  6. RodII

RodII Active Member

May 14, 2016
    I have a 4" PPQ M1 that I keep as my night stand gun, with 4 mags I have 60 rounds of 9MM in case the BLM thugs decide to come to the country. I carry it some in a IWB holster, but I really prefer my carry piece to have a manual safety.
    The trigger is good for a striker fired gun, but there is a lot of pre travel. This is necessary to release the firing pin safety. It does not take a lot of shooting to learn to stage the trigger, pull it to the wall then a slow squeeze to break.
    The sights that come with it are okay, but I could not get over them being plastic, so I replaced them. Same with the recoil guide rod, the plastic original would last a lifetime, but I replaced it with a stainless steel one.
    Other than a Ruger LC9s it is my only striker fired gun. I researched several striker fired guns before buying the Walther.

7. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I sometimes carry the pps in a pocket holster. hard to find big enough pockets for it :)

love the trigger--what else is now?

very accurate and reliable so far

PPQs are the best striker fired handguns due to their triggers,IMHO

8. Genes 1911

Genes 1911 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I have a PPK/S.... Amazingly accurate,100%... S&W made.Buy with confidence.

9. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    I have both PPQ M1 and PPS in 9mm. No question they are high quality guns. Is there anything Germans manufacture that is not high quality? I would say generally the PPQ is better than my Glock 19s. PPQ trigger is the best of any striker I've shot. The kicker is holsters, aftermarket parts, etc. favor Glock by a wide margin.
    The PPS is a sweet carry and shooter. Why did I buy it? It has been several years, but at the time I was wanting a single stack 9 other than my SW 3913's. PPS was the only one on the market, before Shield and Glock 42s. Some folks don't like the removable back strap which serves as a disconnect. I've never taken it off so it doesn't bother me.
    DSC_0013.JPGr.jpg DSC_0009.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    1911 crazed and Raylan Givens like this.
  10. IndyExit

IndyExit Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2018
    I have carried a PPS in .40 for many years. It has never had any malfunctions of any sort. It is also extremely accurate and I have confidence that it will do the job. In my opinion it is the best of all of them. That's saying something considering how good CZ Custom is.

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    The PPQ seemed nice from my encounter with it. The PPS seemed cheap for some reason. No experience with the other.

I ultimately picked the Beretta APX as the better pistol... amazing ergos. I feel like I barely have to aim.

... but the APX doesn’t come in .45 ACP. Only 9mm and .40 S&W.

Jim PHL likes this.
  12. jfbong1911

jfbong1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2018
    I carry a PPQ M2 nine when and if I can rip it out of my significant others hands, she has claimed it as her own. :):):o.o: Who am I kidding she wont give it up . It has a great trigger I’m thinking of getting one in 45 ACP.

13. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    I'll be the odd man out here. Buddy's wife has one. It is very fussy about ammo. She 'wants' to carry it but can't because of that issue.

14. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    My guess is that she's limp wristing at some points. On small striker fired firearms they won't function with the least bit of a limp wrist. People didn't believe me when I said that they were limp wristing only to prove it to them over & over again.

Mauser220 likes this.
  15. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    My wife bought her dad a PPS several years ago. Very reliable pistol. He liked it better than my Shield but just personal preference. I never got used to the mag release myself. Shot everything we put through it, even my reloads.

16. soverystout

soverystout Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I had a PPQ M1 in 9mm. It was decent. It has quite a bit of muzzle flip for being a 9mm. The trigger is the best from the striker fired world. I sold all my polymer guns towards the beginning of Covid to help fund my army of Les Baer 1911s.

17. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I have A PPS2 and like it. No malfunctions yet and accurate..
    Would not hesitate to purchase it again...

18. Sheperd

Sheperd Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I have both in 9mm. For shooting 100-200 rounds in a range session, the PPQ will be much more comfortable. Some folks have put additional grips on the PPS to make it more comfortable. I haven't done that and still enjoy shooting the PPS a lot. But, the ergonomics of the PPQ are way better. Both are accurate, maybe a slight edge to the PPQ since the sight distance is a bit larger.

Get both, and have fun
    stay safe Y'all

19. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I have a PPS, PPQ and a PPQ TAC4, all in 9mm. The TAC 4 has a red dot and compensator for fun range time with the platform. The other 2 got Dawson sights - black rears and red FO fronts. Fabulous carry/SD guns. Otherwise bone stock. I’ve owned Glocks and they are great guns, but I got sick of trying to make them shoot better for me. The Walthers are easy for me to shoot well - like 1911 levels of shoot ability. Buy one and don’t look back!
    Jeff

20. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    big pile o'plastic...

The PPQ SD does have a relatively nice trigger, and it came with a phenomenal test target. I can shoot it well but, and this is deeply personal- I can't get it to feel good in my hand - the largest grip insert extends up into the tang- and it feels "flippier" under recoil than my others. For that reasons, despite the great trigger, it's not in my top 3.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    1911 crazed likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted