Anyone Prefer Kydex to Leather for your 1911 or Hi Power??

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Nalajr, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

I've seen some pretty neat looking Kydex holsters lately...especially the ones that have leather lining. I've never had the opportunity to see or handle one of those styled holsters, but they are apparently pretty popular and effective for those that carry a 1911 or Hi Power.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about these "new" kydex and leather holsters...they are simply NEW to ME.

What I'd like to know is if you all have relegated your leather holsters to the "holster drawer" in favor of these leather lined kydex holsters from various makers.
    OR....are you one of those that believe that a 1911 SHOULD be carried in a leather rig and anything else is just plain WRONG.

I'm thinking that I'd like to try an OWB for my Commander and was thinking that I would get a leather holster, but now that I am seeing some of these kydex and leather lined rigs....I might have to look into trying one of those to see how it fit and feels.

Just so darned many beautiful leather holsters and now there's these Kydex holsters sneaking up on them.
    What's a 1911 and Hi Power fan to do?

Your thoughts please...

Thank you kindly and have a great weekend guys and gals.
    Larry

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I prefer leather

3. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    So many great leather holsters. I do love my Garrett Industries leather lined kydex. Check them out.

4. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Gunsite used to promote a Galco leather lined kydex/polymer holster but no longer, so I’ll be checking this out. Thanks for the heads up.

Sneaky One likes this.
  5. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    I prefer kydex, i know it's not pretty but 20190209_061710.jpg

6. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I have one kydex holster but can't warm up to them

1911 dawg likes this.
  7. Recoil

Recoil Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Kydex can be a little harsh on the finish ... I prefer leather

1911 dawg and BigJimP like this.
  8. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I mostly use Garrett leather lined kydex for my 1911s but I have plenty of leather, also. I have some kydex but almost never use it, it's harder finishes than leather holsters, particularly smooth lined ones. You can't prevent finish wear but I don't see any point in accelerating it.

limbkiller likes this.
  9. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Keep it traditional, Larry.

“Blue steal and gun leather!”

10. bdg501

bdg501 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2014
    B1D023AD-3162-4124-994C-45B11C5C4CAD.jpeg 3D340D56-09D6-47EF-81D2-73312245F15C.jpeg View attachment 218177 075013C3-0E89-4E16-8C20-D1E3BDE0A7DA.jpeg C7C2E625-5AB9-4BA5-90BA-608605E8C340.jpeg I have both, and have used both for quite some time. Personally I prefer my bravo concealment OWB kydex over any of them...to the point where I have just recently sold off most of my other holsters. I have also used the blackpoint tactical leather wing holsters, but still find myself coming back to the bravo.

For me my gun is a tool....yes I want to preserve the finish and want it to look good , but that is at the bottom of my list.

My ability to conceal it and conceal it comfortably are important, second to my ability/confidence to shoot/run the gun.

I train a lot wearing the kydex holster and to be honest, they just take a beating....I can re holster while keeping my eyes on the threat/target instead of searching for the holster opening and having to pry open a caved leather pancake style holster.

Again this is all just my personal experience and opinion, try a few different ones and settle on one you like.

ETA. Both these have been run somewhat hard in kydex, as you can tell it does do a number on the finish. I will say that I don’t believe it’s the kydex all by itself.....likely the dust/dirt/debri that gets into the holster then rubbed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Stk218, limbkiller, 45k and 1 other person like this.
  11. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I was never able to get the retention and draw I liked out of leather. I only carry in a kydex IWB holster.

Justinf and BennyAdeline like this.
  12. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Plastic at the range, leather for carry. Leather if you have a nice blued finish. I used a near new 586 in a plastic holster for IDPA, lot of wear in a hurry. No plastic holster for a nice blued Colt or S&W. There are some lined plastic holsters around. I have a couple Safariland but they weigh a ton.

13. Jersey James

Jersey James Active Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Although I have a kydex holster for my house Shield, after about four years it is wearing the finsh. So for my EDC 1911, it's all leather De Santis, Mad Max. Great holster for the money.

14. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    My favorite is also a leather lined Garret AIWB. Quiet also!

15. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Not many affordable options in leather for 1911’s with lights attached, so kydex it is !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    For my "expensive guns", leather.
    For my "inexpensive guns", kydex (those are polymer guns anyways)

17. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Kydex is just wrong in my view....!!

The only holsters I use are Kramer leather ...horsehide.../ at range or carry...

18. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Put me down for kydex, I like the repeatable retention and rigidity for reholstering. And I got tired of pulling out leather bits on my front sight when practicing draw strokes.
    And it’s a little cheaper.

gun_fan111 and PewPewPtwang like this.
  19. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    A well designed Kydex holster does offer a cleaner draw IMHO. However, leather feels softer against my body.

ChuckC likes this.
  20. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but, whips and chains excite me!

And leather too!!!:roflmaro::thumbs:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Mike Meints, 41 Charlie and gps man like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted