close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone shoot with gloves on?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by wrx04, Sep 1, 2011.

1. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I just got back from the range with my CQB (still flawless after 300 reloads and a few mags of gold dots), and it was HOT today. Towards the end of the session, my hands were getting sweaty, and i couldnt rack the damn slide! The serrations on the armor tuff'd CQB dont have a lot of bite (compared to the Baer and STI). This is the one thing i dont like about the gun.

I carry some mechanix gloves in the range bag to pick up brass, and when i put those on, i racked the slide very easily. The problem is they seem way too bulky to shoot with. Any recommendations on shooting gloves that are thin enough to maintain dexterity and feel of the trigger?

I switched the grips on my CQB to VZ tactical diamond thin grips, and they are really nice. I might switch all three of my guns over to those ones.

2. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I am not sure what gloves would work for you, but I am sure Paul could tell you, his hero MVP wears some.

3. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    :rofl2:
    Haha! I knew that was gonna show up.

Gloves at the range could make you look like a D-bag for sure, but in cold/hot/wet weather they may serve a purpose......

4. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Oh they sure do don't get me wrong. I just forget what gloves they gave us years ago at the Sheriff's Department. They were perfect!

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I've shot half a pistol class in the rain using Hatch cold weather gloves with no problems.
    The flat trigger gave me a little more room.

6. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Damn right he does. Hater.

[​IMG]

7. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I use mechanix gloves in the winter, but I cut the tip off the trigger finger.

8. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    I do when I shoot my glocks, the trigger always ends up giving me a blister. On my 1911's I don't, never had a problem with them.

9. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't use no stinkin' gloves! :smile:

As Ron demonstrated to me in our very, very wet low-light class, I just had to man-up and rip that double-feed outta there. No gloves necessary, blisters turn into callouses! :lol:

OK, no, seriously, I felt like such a wuss, when he tore the double-feed out of the breech, after I'd proclaimed it "stuck for good." :oops: Of-course, I wasn't using nearly enough force...I'm still quite noobish to all of this gun stuff, and he taught me a great little lesson.

I repaid him by passing along that little bit of knowledge, when, at another class about a month later, a fellow shooter came off the line and said to me "well, this gun is done for the day, that casing is stuck in there good!" I showed him exactly what Ron showed me, and cleared it out. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  10. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Check out some baseball batting gloves. Underarmor ones if you want to be tacticool about it. They're thin enough to manipulate the weapon easily, but have a little grip to them.

Andy

11. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I took a CCW class with my wife when it was cold out. I was the only one that had really shot much so I waited to shoot the "Test" last since I did not even need it. Well I did not wear gloves and if your trigger finger is about frozen shooting a Glock 19 is not all that easy! From now on if it is cold I wear gloves!

12. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
  13. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ I took mine off before shooting. :smile: I didn't want to look like a dork. :lol: But yes, on the day that I went to the range for CCW/CHL class, yep, that would've definitely have happened to me, too.

I also favor the gloves like what Quack recommends. They've very lightweight, provide good dexterity, and are decently warm (as long as you don't get them wet).

14. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    The class that i used them with was in the rain and still had no problems.

15. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
  16. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I didn't like the feel of them, in the snow: they got wet and cold and stayed wet and cold. :frown: Dexterity and grip was not a problem - just temperature regulation.

I think that if it was a warm rain - or a cold shower on a warm day - it would be just fine, but then again, on a warmer day, since I'm just an average fat civvie, I'm very unlikely to be wearing gloves. :lol: So, unless it's freezing, I practice without gloves. :smile:

17. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Oh, and one more thing....

The ones that I own, the pairs that date back to 2001 or so really bled its dye pretty badly when new. The pair dating back to 2004 or so, decidedly less so. I haven't bought any newer than that, so I don't know if they've improved further in that respect.

Sizing ran pretty true. I like my gloves a bit on the tight side: I usually go for 8 and 1/2 sized surgical gloves in my work, and they fit like a second skin. For the Hatch gloves above, I've always bought their "mediums," and they fit in a very form-fitting manner, albeit in a manner that's going to be perceived as slightly tight, by most people's standards. Again, I don't know if that has changed over the years, or not.

18. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I used the same pair for a year before I lost one. I thought that they had great dexterity, however they were not very warm in the winter. I had a pair from camelbak that were pretty decent.

For hot weather I highly recommend these from under armour http://www.lapolicegear.com/under-armour-blackout-glove.html. I used them for a week long patrol rifle instructor class and they saved my hands from some serious abuse. They held up well and performed their intended function.

19. Bigdave35180

Bigdave35180 Member

Dec 21, 2015
    When I shoot that Freedom Arms 454 I always use gloves...I have some made by Gunglove for trapshooting that are thin and give great grip....they are not padded but make a great difference in control....

Attached Files:

20. barmandr

barmandr SHEEPLE HERDER Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    5 year old post...just sayin'.

azpoolguy likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted