1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I need to have a set of LH thumbrest stocks made for my 2nd Gen Colt Woodsman. I found Herrett Stocks tonight and have asked for a quote.

Does anyone here have experience with Herrett? Do you recommend them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've had several sets over the years for 1911's, S&W K frames and SW M41. All have fit well and have been well finished.

All the best in 2020,

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had several sets over the years for 1911's, S&W K frames and SW M41. All have fit well and have been well finished.

All the best in 2020,
Thanks! That's a good endorsement. Do you know if there is a long lead time for custom grips?

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
Always found Herrett's GTG; grips and CS.

Add; Herrett's required an outline of your hand to make your grip- assume they still do.
The issue I had was- as received, their grips were ALWAYS too large for me shooting double action.
They were ideal for single action work.
I always "modded" the grips by removing additional material so they fit me for double action work.

A buddy was once a bit shocked to see me grinding away on a new set of Herrett grips with a half round ******* file.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yup......

Attachments

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,727 Posts
I used Herrett's custom Jordan Trooper stock on my revolvers for about 30 years or so now. I find that having a stock or grip that fits my hand better aids in my ability to shoot well.
California Claro walnut made to fit my hand size on my 7.5" 29-5 Classic Magnum II.

SW 29 5 classic magnum 2 500.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Funny that you posted this. Back in the mid 1980s, a cop friend that I worked with had a set of Jordan Troopers on a 4 inch K frame 357. Those stocks felt so good in my hand I ordered a set for my 4 inch S&W 44 Mag. Back then Steve Herrett still ran the company. Sent in my hand tracing and they made the stocks and they felt great, but they beat the web of my hand like a hammer. So I removed material off the back strap of the stocks and then refinished with Tru Oil. Did not fix the problem, so I now have them on a 4 inch model 28. I learned I had to use rubber grips that cover the backstrap to cushion the recoil of the 44 magnum. The issue may have been that the Jordon Trooper stocks were designed for Bill Jordan, who had huge hands, and they could not make that design work well, meaning small enough, with my much smaller size hand. Jordan was nearly a foot taller than me. Still love the stocks, but for 357s only now.

Always found Herrett's GTG; grips and CS.

Add; Herrett's required an outline of your hand to make your grip- assume they still do.
The issue I had was- as received, their grips were ALWAYS too large for me shooting double action.
They were ideal for single action work.
I always "modded" the grips by removing additional material so they fit me for double action work.

A buddy was once a bit shocked to see me grinding away on a new set of Herrett grips with a half round ******* file.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Can’t go wrong with Herrertt’s Stocks. Purchased my first in 1962 and have them in all the S and W frame sizes plus Ruger single actions.
Pictures are
30B856C0-6223-45B4-AB77-AEF5D1D7D108.jpeg
three gun’s I was shooting today: Single action .45, “N” frame .44 Special and a Model 36 all with Herrert’s stocks.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny that you posted this. Back in the mid 1980s, a cop friend that I worked with had a set of Jordan Troopers on a 4 inch K frame 357. Those stocks felt so good in my hand I ordered a set for my 4 inch S&W 44 Mag. Back then Steve Herrett still ran the company. Sent in my hand tracing and they made the stocks and they felt great, but they beat the web of my hand like a hammer. So I removed material off the back strap of the stocks and then refinished with Tru Oil. Did not fix the problem, so I now have them on a 4 inch model 28. I learned I had to use rubber grips that cover the backstrap to cushion the recoil of the 44 magnum. The issue may have been that the Jordon Trooper stocks were designed for Bill Jordan, who had huge hands, and they could not make that design work well, meaning small enough, with my much smaller size hand. Jordan was nearly a foot taller than me. Still love the stocks, but for 357s only now.
Thanks. The people at Herrett are great. I've yet to place the order, but thanks to them, I know I can get what I want, and at a reasonable price. Dee in the Custom Department is willing to work in owner-supplied exotic woods, too.

This begs another question: Has anyone here tried stabilized wood stocks? I use and prefer stabilized wood for knife scales because they won't change dimensionally and it makes spalted woods stronger.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My wife has a small hand and we sent in an outline of her hand and they sent back an note with the suggested grip.
Forget which one but it has an open back strap for her old Colt Trooper!
Works great for her, that was about 30 years ago though

Reactions: rmac
1 - 16 of 16 Posts