Anyone Used a Colt WWI or WWII Repro as a Base for a Custom??

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Nalajr, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

I think that the WWI and WWII repro 1911’s that Colt put out are something of the most beautiful Factory 1911’s that Colt has put out in a very long time. When they were released I lived in an area that would only rarely get one for the dealers to display. I tried to deal My NIB Colt NRM on one at my local favorite shop, but he wouldn’t even discuss it. I never ended up getting one. Now I wish I had found a way to.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone has used theirs as a base for a custom build. If you did, how about telling about it and why you chose that Colt to do your piece. Even better if you can post some Glamour Shots of your beauty.

Did you refinish it in the same deep blue that it came with, as close as you could, or did you go with another finish?

What’s your thoughts on these fine looking Colt’s as a base for a custom build??

Thank you all.

2. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017
    WWI repro build by Ted Yost. Do I even need to explain why?

1A27C5E7-A0C8-4DA3-8E09-15A756B73616.jpeg.jpg

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

3. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    gps man likes this.
  4. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    That's the dopey, semi, sorta, half-assed repro Colt turned out earlier this year. I suspect the OP meant the high quality repros from a few years ago.

Zero1911 likes this.
  5. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
  6. Austin Millbarge

Austin Millbarge Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Top one is a Jody Joseph build with Chen magwell. Hard chrome frame, blue slide.

Middle one is a USFA build. Carbonia blue.

Bottom one is a Pete Single build, regular blue.

7. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I have one of these on my books now the problem with those guns is they're not very correct as far as the role marks go there missing the pony and United States property and the gun that I got I sent off and had that engraved into the slide and frame

8. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I was actually going to buy two of these guns when I bought one sometime back and they could only locate one and when I got it and seeing it wasn't correct I was glad that I only got the one LOL it cost me an extra $150 to have it engraved and then I found out that midyear they switched where the pony was some of them had the pony in the center of the slide and some of them had them at the rear of the slide so either configuration was correct and then United States property Supposed to be stamped on the Dust cover

But anyhow that gun is slated for a build for the gentleman that bought my heritage sometime back

Infidel4life11 likes this.
  9. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017
  10. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
  11. Jason Burton

Jason Burton Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2012
    I’ve built both... either can be turned into an exceptional custom gun for various styles of build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Damn, Jason, John Browning himself would have marveled at you

13. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    ^^^^^what he said! Those are spectacular!

14. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    This 1918 WWI reissue was built by Jim Garthwaite 10 years ago.
    Now that Jim has passed... RIP...
    It will remain as is.
    In honor of one of history’s great craftsmen.
    E8370D07-8BD3-45C4-9FFE-88BAF6D4DBA5.jpeg

15. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Lord have mercy....these are some spectacular builds!! No other way to describe them other than beautiful!

I would love to have one but then I’d have a dilemma on whether to shoot it or just get it out and marvel at it once a week or so

Mr Burton, I have we t to your forum for years and tried to follow your work. Everything you do is gorgeous. You are incredibly gifted. I’d like to ask you and Integrity Arms...and any other builders here...do you think that those that buy your top level work actually shoot them or do they buy them simply for their beauty?

Wouldn’t it be something to carry one of these beauties as your every day carry? We should be so fortunate!!

Mr. Burton, there’s 2 of yours that I’ve admired a great deal, maybe more than the others. It’s the tribute to the Pachmayr Combat Special and a Colt Custom you did with Ivory grips with silver medallions. I also really like the BIG LETTER Colt that you also did and posted. Too many to pick from!! Do the customers that buy gorgeous pieces like those actually shoot and enjoy them??

Keep the pics coming. Never can have too many pics.

16. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    There are folks who put Burton’s guns in the safe to admire, show off & sell off at a profit. And there are folks who what god intended- carry and shoot them! I know a retired LEO who has two of Jason’s guns, one or the other is carried daily, I’ve shot them when he was training with us & they are spectacular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

switchback, 1911 crazed and bnaples like this.
  17. Infidel4life11

Infidel4life11 الواحد

Apr 17, 2019
    Jason uses his own guns and I’ll assume a few of his customers do. I know of a few of Integrity’s builds that are in the several 1000s of rounds fired range. When I get mine in about a year I’m going to put the DLC finish to the test. I have cases of ammo waiting on it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted