Anyone using ZERO bullets in their Baers with WIN 231???

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Bugs, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone getting good accuracy out of ZERO 230 FMJ with WIN 231?? If so what is your load?

2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I have been using Zero 230 Gr FMJ for several years now but mostly with Unique. I do use 231 for light .38s but just haven't gotten around to using it for loading .45s, don't ask me why.

3. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    ..................................why?

i'm a rebel:biggrin1:

4. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Eh, 231 is too dirty for my tastes. I personally prefer CLAYS or VVN310. Get pretty good accuracy out of those loads. Not quite as good as with the Sierra, but hey, the Zero is a bit less expensive than the Sierra...

5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Joe C: I use 231 because I still have lots of it. It is somewhat dirty but meters well. How do the Clays & VVN310 meter? What have you used as a powder charge with them? I have come up with some loads using 231 that are pretty good in the accuracy dept. with my other 1911's but have not dialed in the Baer yet using this powder. Perhaps time for experimentation with a different powder.

Rinspeed: Found the Unique to burn quite dirty & it did not meter well for me; liked the unique for shooting lead in revolvers; FMJ in autos not so much.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  6. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    I use Missouri Bullet Company 200grn LSWC Bullseye #1's in my Baer's using W231.
    While W231 is a little dirty, it meters well using my Dillion RL-550B and my pet load is 5.1-5.2grn W231.(I do get about .1 charge variance) which Chrono's about 808fps. I use 18.5lb Wilson Recoils Springs in all my .45's, Baers included, this load cycles fine and I have found it to be very accurate in the Baers.

7. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    3Baers: I was using 5.2gn WIN 231 for a target load with the ZERO 230gn FMJ.

8. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I have had great experience with Zero bullets in both 38spl. and 45 ACP. Vit.N-310 meters more accurately than all other handgun powders I've tried. Both Vit.N-320, titegroup, bullseye and clays work well too for 45 ACP.

9. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Bugs,

Yep, that is one of the main reasons I don't use 231 anymore...very dirty. I will say that the VVN310 measures VERY well where as the CLAYS can be off a tenth or so from time to time. That being said, it still meters very well in my Dillon. Also, it should be noted that I've tested many guns with the CLAYS with the charges off a tenth or so and found no real depreciation in accuracy at 50 yards. So, since it is half the price of the VVN310 it gets the nod more times than not, especially when I'm shooting hundreds of rounds at a time testing guns.

The load I'm using in the guns built here with the 230g Sierra, Hornady or Zero is 4.2g of either VVN310 or CLAYS with an oal of 1.260" and a crimp of .469"-.470". The Sierra bullet with this load has produced many groups out of guns built here of ten shots at 50 yards in the 1.5"-1.8" range. It is a "soft ball" load but it works well. You experience my vary but always remember (here comes my disclaimer to cover my buttocks) to load responsibly and check your manuals before you try any loads to make sure they are suitable for your gun. ;-)

10. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    @Joe C.
    Have you ever had any problems with Clays not dropping from the powder hopper/slide into the casing? Had that happen to me with light steel loads in 38Spl. and had several squibs.
    Also what is you opinien about Solo 1000 compared to Clays performance?
    Thanks

11. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Jess,

No sir I have never had that happen to me on the Dillon. I've shot about several hundred thousand rounds using the CLAYS over the years and the only time I ever had a dud was when I got distracted once and turned the turret on the 550B before putting the powder in the case. Fortunately I was shooting those loads and stopped when the shot sounded light so no damage was done!

As for the Solo 1000, I did test it some years ago and did not get as consistent results out of it as with the CLAYS. Also it seemed a bit abrasive. Later on after talking to some shooters who had been using it a while, they told me it appeared to wear the gun more than usual...but who knows about that...you know how perceptions can be sometimes. ;-) No, the CLAYS and VVN310 keep working so I keep buying them. But I'm usually open to trying something new to evaluate whether or not it is going to make what is done here better...

12. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Joe. I think I will try some of the VVN310 and/or Clays. In your experience does the Clays burn as clean as the VVN?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  13. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    No problem Bugs. Yes the CLAYS burns very clean...one of the reasons I like it so much.

14. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Joe.

15. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I use 230 gr. FMJ's over 5.7 of Win 231, and 200gr LSWC over 5.4 on 231 on a Dillon 550B. I continue to use because some time ago I bought a bunch of it and I know how it meters, burns, smells, tastes and slings lead out of my Baers.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted