close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone want to get a Class 3 just for a suppressor?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapons' started by Glock2740, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I have shot several suppressed guns and it's pretty cool, but I doubt I would go through all of the hassle to be able to get one. Not to mention the cost and I really hate the look of a threaded barrel. :sour:

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    you just hate them because they aren't hard chromed.

you also forgot needing to get taller sights too.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I want one just to have it.

Joe - just don't HC a few of your guns and you'll have a AAC unit with the proper tax form.

4. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Don't forget, that it screws up my crowned barrels. :)

5. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Suppressor's are awesome!! I love my .22 can. I would like to get a 9mm and .223 down the road, but a shorty build is next on the class 3 horizon.

6. deldago

deldago New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    A trust is the way to go.It allows you to have multiple people able to use them.Just make sure you use a lawyer that has knowledge in firearms trusts so that your bases are covered.It allows you to make sure that if something should happen to you your class 3 weapons are handled properly so your heirs don't run afoul of the law.Also no LEO signature needed!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. Lawdog734

Lawdog734 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I just sent in my paperwork. I should have my 9mm gemtech in about 8 weeks

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    They are rather ugly aren't they?? Ron

9. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I have looked into setting up a Trust to get a suppressor at some point. It really is not all that much money but I would use something other than a 1911 as a host.

I at one time had a M&P .45 with a threaded barrel I was going to use, but it did not work too well with the threaded barrel so it went bye bye. Smith and Wesson did fix it, I just did not trust it after that. Other things I want to do now in the short term though, so it is on the back burner.

I actually like the look of a threaded barrel for some reason, but feel like a tool if I have one with nothing to go on it.

10. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    One word of caution regarding the trust, my Class 3 dealer alerted me to the fact that the Firearms trust path hasn't been finalized yet. I'm not 100% sure of the details but regarding location, transfers, and members there is still the possibility of the BATFE changing their minds on how they'll rule. Here in Milwaukee I'd never get LEO signoff so now I'm sole proprietor of WAM Arms Co, LLC.

The LLC route has been finalized and should not be changing. You don't even need to file for the Tax ID number because if you're using the LLC for a holding company there is no funds going in or out. I very easily obtained my Tax stamp for a registered SBR this way. I just apply under the LLC and list my self as President and the tax stamp comes back in my LLC's name and since I'm on the LLC paperwork I'm legal to own and operate the SBR.

Not to mention I can now list my home and other assets under the LLC so that future ex-Mrs Hatters cant touch them. (just an added benefit!)

11. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Id like to someday have a supressed .22lr and an SBR, probably of the AR15 family.

12. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    i am torn between a can for my .22's or making my AR a sbr.. lol

13. Rimcrew

Rimcrew Member

Sep 9, 2011
  14. Rimcrew

Rimcrew Member

Sep 9, 2011

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy Member

Aug 20, 2011
    The reality is that it is less hassle and less paperwork than buying a new car. Really not all that bad.

16. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I wouldn't suppress any of my handguns, I don't see the need. I shoot at indoor ranges most of the time so i still need to wear plugs, its heavy, you need new sights, cant carry it, etc. I really considered an SBR build with a suppressor however for hog hunting.

17. UGA556

UGA556 Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I hate to jump in with my two cents on the llc trust debate, but i am a lawyer in Ga and I offer nfa trusts to my clients. The choice of llc or trust may depend on not only the facts and circumstances surrounding your purchase, but also the jurisdiction. I'd be wary of a bright line rule on which is better.
    I might be a tad biased but i strongly recommend that you consult a lawyer before you make the purchase. Just my 2 cents.
    Anyway, work aside... Merry Christmas fellas and Happy New Year.

18. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Merry Christmas to you too, even if you are a lawyer! :tongue:

I don't have a class 3 but my shooting buddy is going through the process now. It's a lot like several smaller purchases, so that part is appealing. I'm going to let him do it first, and hopefully learn from any of his mistakes. Still angers me that suppressed weapons are Class 3 at all, but that's another subject.

I like the idea of an LLC, especially considering you might be able to protect your assets like that!

19. Melter942

Melter942 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I just paid $125 to the state of PA for my LLC. Lawyer said it should be finalized in about a week.

Already paid for the suppressor the day I went for a live fire demo. Took the Ruger 22/45 with me and tried their sample can on my gun... it's gonna be fun!

IMG_0353a.jpg

All that's left is to complete the ATF paperwork and send them their money for the tax stamp.

Planning to add more NFA weapons to the collection, and future purchases should go much smoother: LLC is set up and I learned the process.

20. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It Supporting Addict

Jan 10, 2012
    I got my paperwork back for my SBR and the suppressor for it at the end of December last year. Waiting on the suppressor mount to come in, dying to shoot it, lol.

I would like a few more suppressors as funds allow, one for a .22LR, a 9mm, and a 45 ACP. I love how quiet the 45's are, and any factory 45 ammo is subsonic so you don't have to buy "special" ammo to get a quiet running setup.

I would also like the idea of being able to shoot suppressed .22's in my back yard, which would be legal where I live :nod:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted