1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to do a guy a favor? I had ordered this custom grips from VZ before I had the gun and low and behold this T4 even with a magwell needs thin grips rather than standard thickness.

If anyone had the time (and a belt sander) and would be willing to take them down to the same thickness as the alien grips I'd be forever grateful.

I'd send you the three VZ grips I have and the alien grip for comparison purposes and really don't care how the back of the grip turns out. Maybe I could even gather up some of the goodies I got from shot and send you a few things to sweeten the deal for your time.

0129201223.jpg
0129201225.jpg
0129201228b.jpg
0129201232.jpg

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
41PGYJkzuFL.jpg

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
284 Posts
Az,
Personally, it appears attempting to remove all the material from the back, will result in the outer edges being extremely thin. I have successfully thinned from the front on smooth grips to make thin. Also, the counterbores for the bushing/and/or screws may require "adjusting".

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Az,
Personally, it appears attempting to remove all the material from the back, will result in the outer edges being extremely thin. I have successfully thinned from the front on smooth grips to make thin. Also, the counterbores for the bushing/and/or screws may require "adjusting".
The idea won’t work well.....sell the grips and buy a set of thins.
Pretty much the above ^^^

The radius of the front surface is much larger on thin grips than thin. There's a good chance you wouldn't be pleased with the results.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Az,
And depending on how much side edge you have (or don't have) you might end up with no edge and grips that cover less surface area on the sides . . . . .

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
They can be thinned. I've done it several times. Results vary. They look like they have plenty of thickness on the sides. You run into problems when the edge is already cut to a sharp edge. These are very thick on the edges.

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bushings are thin, the gun shipped with the thin aliens shown on it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Trying to do this on a belt sander might lead to a nightmare since keeping things the same thickness can be a real challenge on small pieces that are hard to hold.

I would go to an auto parts store and buy some 80 grit abrasive paper used for body work and glue this to a flat surface. It will be much easier to control and go pretty fast moving back and forth and measure as you go. Plus you'll build upper body strength!

I learned the hard way about 20 years ago on a borrowed bench belt sander (similar to the one in the above post) trying to make grips out of layered blue denim pressed together and epoxy. Everything went well until the final shaping....crash!

Let us know how the project goes with pics!

All the best in 2020,

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
In for the results. I tried this on a cheap set of grips and it didn't turn out like I planed.

Reactions: ZoidMeister
1 - 13 of 13 Posts