Appendix Carry, what's the deal?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by razorbacker, Mar 4, 2019.

1. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like appendix carry has recently been sweeping gun forums like an epidemic. What's up with that? I see folks on threads everywhere talking AIWB carry. Twenty years ago it was hardly ever mentioned. Appendix carry never appealed to me and I'm not criticizing those that do but the sudden interest sees odd like it's the newest fade.

2. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Least amount of printing I think.
    Big pain in the groin when sitting though.

UBOATDOC, dgi, ORShooter and 5 others like this.

3. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    I don’t get it. How do you sit down with a barrel stabbing your thigh?

4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    More people are carrying concealed than ever , so the topic will come up . Plus people on the internet like to argue .

UBOATDOC, Raven312, Glock2740 and 6 others like this.
  5. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    While less likely with a manual safety pistol like a 1911, I have seen one too many dipsh!ts shoot their "sausage and meatballs" with Glocks or similar pistols.

Shooting my "junk" off just kind of turns me off to the idea. Not to mention, how in the hell do you sit comfortably?

6. Chiseledface

Chiseledface Member

Mar 2, 2019
    With a larger gun, I couldn't do it, but with my Sig P938 I find that sitting with an AIWB holster works just fine. The handle is above the waistband, and the barrel is short enough that it doesn't jab me when I sit.

pcso13, Raven312 and retrieverman like this.
  7. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    It makes no sense to me either...../ ....way too much risk pointing a gun at your junk as you draw or reholster...

I think its a fad ...( seen in the movies )...

8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Much better than television!

retrieverman likes this.
  9. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I carry appendix. It's more comfortable on long drives; doesn't print as much; is easier to keep concealed as opposed to your shirt lifting up in the back; I don't have to dress like I'm 50 pounds heavier- I can wear actual fitting clothes; easier draw; I can look down when reholstering and have less worries about a jacket string getting caught in the trigger guard; and the list goes on. The actual reason I first looked at AIWB was due to some damage to my car seat from carrying at the 4 o'clock. After about a week of wearing an Eidelon, I preferred the method. Will still carry at the 4 with full size 1911's, but usually that's only in winter months.

SCS1911, CT72, azpoolguy and 6 others like this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Popular with the womens . . . . . . . both blue and red . . . . . . (for different reasons of course)

upload_2019-3-4_16-27-33.png

tube-holster.jpg

11. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    There isn't any way I'll ever carry AIWB! Hip or shoulder rig for me.:thumbs:

UBOATDOC, FWoo45, razorbacker and 4 others like this.
  12. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I'm not Italian but I had to laugh at this.:p

13. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I had similar problems in high school, but it wasn't caused by a gun ;)

UBOATDOC, FWoo45, Babboonbobo and 4 others like this.
  14. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    It's the new hotness.

As mentioned, has a lot to do with marginally better concealment for some body types, and draw is a wee bit faster.

Not mentioned: better control of the firearm when grappling -- isn't sticking out behind you for someone to grab if you've got your hands full with whatever's in front of you.

Plenty of guys with all levels of experience carry AIWB with all kinds of handguns, no problems.

Ain't for me, though.

15. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Mr. Knight, UBOATDOC, ronin11 and 4 others like this.
  16. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    20 year ago, there wasn't hardly any mentioned of RDS on a rifle, but look how many are running them on their rifles, and even on pistols.

If you haven't tried AIWB, then I would suggest you give the subject a thorough research on the correct method. And there's some testing that's been done about which part of the body you would hurt, based on the "traditional" IWB method vs AIWB.

And there's always the testing it out, before you, should comment on the subject. Granted, different body types and all, so it might not be for everyone. But there are plenty of forks, with all shapes and sizes, that are comfortably AIWB carrying their guns. Bottom line, you need to find the "sweet spot" on where your holster/gun will fit into your 11-1 (lefty-righty) o'clock position.

azpoolguy, Raven312 and Glock2740 like this.
  17. Au Jus in Bello

May 19, 2017
    I get the franks-and-beans fears and share 'em, but I'm even more concerned about femoral arteries.

SCS1911, RS., jimmy james and 8 others like this.
  18. Au Jus in Bello

May 19, 2017
    I remember this incident and watched the video dozens of times. There was much inconclusive back-and-forth everywhere as to its veracity. Seems legit to me, but usually somebody somewhere steps forward with confirming facts and details, or definitive refutation; to my knowledge, that never happened here.

Anybody know?

19. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    xerts1191 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted