Appendix Carry

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by 19DRS83, Feb 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Leo

Leo Member

Jun 19, 2019
    The closest I can come to appendix carry is pocket carry. But it seems the [email protected] chinese clothing manufacturers have made a science of finding the smallest, thinnest piece of synthetic material possible to use for their pockets. But... just last week I ordered a couple of pairs of Carhartt shorts from Sportsman's Warehouse, one cargo, one walking style. Boy was I surprised when they arrived. They have the biggest, heaviest cotton canvas pockets I have seen in a long time.

I immediately ran (somewhat) to the wife's side of the bed and retrieved her (formerly my) 1958 S&W Model 40, already in its sticky holster. I dropped it in and it's like heaven sent. Perfect for walks around the block and the cluster mailboxes 1/2 mile down the road. Snub nosed .38's are forever. So then I tried my stainless Colt Officer's ACP, and well, it almost fit but I would need suspenders and a belt and I'm not that old yet.

Ok, that's it. You can go back to talking about whether or not you're going to blow your [email protected] off.

switchback and UBOATDOC like this.
  2. JohnIreland

JohnIreland Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Curious as to how many documented cases of a 1911 being carried in the cocked and locked state, where both the grip and thumb safeties both failed and caused a ND that destroyed someone's junk. Not asking about other styles of weapons, or other forms of carry...just specifically 1911s, specifically being carried in the appendix position and cocked and locked. Now this is not about someone who mistakenly didn't have it on C & L and grabbed the trigger and shot himself...this is about documented cases of simultaneous failures of the 1911 double safety system while in the appendix carry position.

3. jacobconroy75

jacobconroy75 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    You hit the nail on head on many points. In my case it's a true CCO (4.25), and it just "digs" at me in AIWB with the JM setup. Will wearing the CCO AIWB kill me? Nope. Do I like wearing that rig? Nope. :)

After a few months as a heavy dude carrying both a 1911 and G19 AIWB I've found that it all hurts. But, you really can get used to it. Just gotta do it every day.

Like my high school coach used to say, "If it were easy, we'd find little girls to do it.".

The Glock is more comfortable. I like shooting the 1911 better. So, this week I'm working on carrying the 1911 AIWB.

Spokes likes this.
  4. jacobconroy75

Jul 11, 2019
    Not sure I agree with you there. For "plus-sized" individuals such as myself, a 4.25 barrel is resting right upon the goodies when sitting. After six or eight hours in a car seat this can be downright uncomfortable. I mean like, "Holy shart I have to pull this car over and take this damned gun off" kindof uncomfortable. Even when using a wedge...that wedge can really dig into your male equivelant of a mons pubis (laugh all you want...I don't know what it's called on a dude).

A longer barrel would be much more pronounced upon said goodies. And, if the longer barrel sat lower than the Mr. Mons Pubis, it would cantelever the safety and longer grip of a full-sized 1911 further into the delicate belly that we possess.

But, if a fellow is thin, then you are probably correct.

To be fair, I don't yet have a full-size 1911 AIWB rig, but I've got one coming. Don't expect to like it though.

Frank Black likes this.
  5. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I guess I have to backpedal a bit.
    Had ditched appendix...and everything else,was almost going to go Magnum PI and just jam the damn thing in the back of my pants. Was at the point of "total comfort" for some stupid reason.
    Started fiddly-f*ckin around with adjustments/tweaks. I can make appendix work like no other.Been like 2 months,I'm converted.
    Bear in mind,I'm a skinny,bony dude.Running a full-size railgun.
    Biggest thing is finding the "right" belt tension,not possible with a leather belt with holes.
    Driving? Probably not the most fun,but mostly short trips 15-30 minutes.Should add- not in a Mazda Miatta or some shitbox,oversprung truck that's usually empty so it kinda beats the hell out of me anyway.
    Will add,been working on my house exclusively(still non-essential I guess ;) )doing stuff that reminds me of the "why women live longer" memes.
    Watch some of the vids,enough different people have posted them to cover just about any body type.
    So....Tip O the Hat to JM Kydex for making a damn nice gun bucket! Dan Wesson for using Duty Treat...or maybe the "plastic wrecks a gun" is a myth!
    @Jollyroger1 for sending me down this briar filled trail in the beginning!!
    @Raylan "its not a male prostitute" Givens for making me stick with it!! :roflmaro:
    Kip's got sh*t to do so see ya's.
    Expecting rude texts in 3...2...1...

switchback, FWoo45, xerts1191 and 2 others like this.
  6. Tom RKBA

Tom RKBA Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Barrel length makes a big difference. I wore my Valor Government AIWB exactly one time. I squished a nut between the holster and soft booth cushion when taking a seat at a restaurant.

I avoid this with my Commander, but it still causes hot spots and limits carry to a few hours. My T4 has a 3.8” slide and likely won’t cause issues since it is shorter than a G19 but longer than a P30SK.

Some slide length issues can be mitigated by vertical and forward/reverse cant. Keepers Concealment has some videos on youtube talking about this. Long story, short: get a fully adjustable holster such as the Raven Eidolon.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  7. JohnIreland

JohnIreland Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    A friend of mine carried his gun in a brown paper bag, like a school lunch. No one ever looked at it, he just would set it down beside him wherever he went.

8. gumby

gumby Active Member

Sep 6, 2011
    That's what Son of Sam did.

blamo, Kip and UBOATDOC like this.
  9. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    The abdomen is divided into 7 quadrants anatomically. The hypogastric and iliac regions are just above the genitals, this area is either the suprapubic or pubic area in both female and male. The mons pubis is the slightly fatty area above the labia/clitoral region in females(I have never heard referred as the mons in males). Either way, it is indeed uncomfortable to have a gun barrel/slide/front sight jammed into this region. Individuals are individually different and while appendix carry might work for some and I certainly wish I could wear a gun that way.....I have never been able to, even when 175 lbs. Certain that it is the way in which my lower abdominal, pelvic girdle is shaped (yes that is what it is called whether one has the proclivity to wear female undergarments or not.....even Tac has a pelvic girdle right now)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Spokes, blamo, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  10. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Are you guys trying to run dead center?
    Try straddling the loops on the belt loop.Like 12:30-ish.
    Never squashed a nut,but I do wear boxers not panties :grin:

11. jacobconroy75

Jul 11, 2019
    I aim the barrel towards the crease betwixt the right thigh and the "mons dudis". This meaning the fatty area that is covered with fuzz directly above the twig. Sorry...don't mean to be graphic, but there aren't a lot of universally-accepted terms for describing the exact nature in which one chooses to hold his sausage hostage.

But, in my experience this is still uncomfortable after a couple of hours. The trick (for me) is to use the JM holster and put a triangular wedge at the bottom of the holster and let it overhang about 1/2 inch (for G19...JM flat wedge for Commander 1911) so that it curls over the end of the holster. This eases the "digging" into the mons dudis. And, I put one of the flat wedges off the right side of the holster and allow it to fold over (I'm right-handed). This alleviates most digging into the right thigh. The flat wedge was the real trick for long term comfort in my case.

It isn't comfortable though. It's doable. I'm up to 8+ hours these days. Just gotta tough it out. Your body will adapt (with a little help from wedges).

Keep in mind that these are two JM "flat wedges" on an AIWB holster for a Commander 1911, and this JM has the "supertuck" option and that makes the flat wedge behind the barrel look a big thicker than the one on the side.
    1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

The added benefit of wedges, is that the barrel isn't "exactly" pointing at my twig or berries during reholstering during training. Wedges are good.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    FWoo45, xerts1191 and Kip like this.
  12. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Straight up 12o’clock, no way, snuggle that bad boy at 1o’clock and go commando

13. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    My opinion, after trying a holster with the supertuck option - is that the supertuck option is probably what’s making that more uncomfortable for you.

Supertuck + Wedge = No Bueno.

NPV and Kip like this.
  14. jacobconroy75

Jul 11, 2019
    You might be right sir. For me, getting the muzzle of that weapon away from my goodies is always a good decision. Lately I've been going back and forth between a G19 and the CCO. I have the same holster for each and pay very careful attention to each as I jam them into my nethers.

Gotta agree...the "super tuck" option is sortof a joke. If you need to alter the natural point of aim for a weapon while plunging it into your daddy gear, then wedges are better. Meaning more variable.

Kip, UBOATDOC and Jollyroger1 like this.
  15. Alexander Menningmann

Alexander Menningmann Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Is this a JMCK Aiwb or one of his wing claws 2.0, 2.5?Im trying to decide between those. It will be for a 5” Colt Rail gun. I have 2 of his George variants for my HK’s and i like them alot.

16. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I believe it’s a 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I was wondering if any of you guys have tried one of those new fangled pull flap Urban Carry rigs? The video looks like it is easy.....but hey You Tube makes some of the things I do to save lives in the ED easy......and some of those procedures......are not easy.

18. PI Lawyer

PI Lawyer Active Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Junk. Plenty of videos showing how bad this gimmick is.

FWoo45 likes this.
  19. Cleveland B

Cleveland B Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    The urban carry holster is a great idea but it falls short in the execution. Stay away as far as possible. I bought it never carried it gave it away.

gumby likes this.
  20. Deputy25

Deputy25 Active Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Had the occasion last night to speak to a nice young gentleman (26) who told me (in the ER) that he "just sat down" and his Glock 23 discharged, striking him squarely in the goods with a 180 gr JHP. Holster was kydex, unknown brand. Guessing that's not how it went down, but the poor kid made a headshot on the one-eyed liar which then tore up his sack. Ouch.

blamo and razorbacker like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted