·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I agree with Wilson, it tests a lot of different skill.s

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Gotta be smooth and not feel rushed
Shoot it matter of factly for me and not rush.
But don't waste any time or movement
Keep the gun up in front of me and be aware of my foot work.
Then it all works in 15-16 seconds!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you shoot it clean in 15-16 seconds?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
We learned to shoot on the move with "The Mexican Defense". An old IPSC Match and a tough one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alright, newbie observation and question, I just watched video of Bill's CHP drill. I didn't realize you should remove your finger completely out of the trigger guard after each shot to reset trigger. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Alright, newbie observation and question, I just watched video of Bill's CHP drill. I didn't realize you should remove your finger completely out of the trigger guard after each shot to reset trigger.
Yeah, I saw that too. It's called 'slapping the trigger' ...

Plus, removing your finger outside the trigger guard should only be done if you're not firing because, in this situation, you're moving. Finger is then kept straight, parallel with the barrel. Thumb safety is on. When you stop moving and start acquiring a flash sight-picture on a target, then it's off-safe, finger to trigger, engage.

As to those two outside targets that Wilson engaged in 'Mozambique' fashion, here's an example of how it's done at speed with no trigger-slapping. It's a classic scene from Miami Vice in which IPSC master shooter Jim Zubiena plays the hit man (he was also Michael Mann's weapons technical-adviser on the series).

Scroll to the 1-minute mark, and DON'T blink ...

That wasn't a camera trick. It was 3-shots, filmed in real time. :jawdrop:

That's called 'hit man fast.' ;)

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Yeah, I saw that too. It's called 'slapping the trigger' ...

Plus, removing your finger outside the trigger guard should only be done if you're not firing because, in this situation, you're moving. Finger is then kept straight, parallel with the barrel. Thumb safety is on. When you stop moving and start acquiring a flash sight-picture on a target, then it's off-safe, finger to trigger, engage.

As to those two outside targets that Wilson engaged in 'Mozambique' fashion, here's an example of how it's done at speed with no trigger-slapping. It's a classic scene from Miami Vice in which IPSC master shooter Jim Zubiena plays the hit man (he was also Michael Mann's weapons technical-adviser on the series).

Scroll to the 1-minute mark, and DON'T blink ...

That wasn't a camera trick. It was 3-shots, filmed in real time. :jawdrop:

That's called 'hit man fast.' ;)

Used to shoot with Jim and Linda Zubiena. We gave him a huge ration of shite over this TV appearance. He was shooting blanks, he was not as consistent with live ammo.

Jim and Linda were one of the shooting couples in the SWPL. The others were Paul and Cheryl Walker, parents of the actor that was killed and Claudia and Dave Wheeler. Dave was LAPD.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Used to shoot with Jim and Linda Zubiena. We gave him a huge ration of shite over this TV appearance. He was shooting blanks, he was not as consistent with live ammo.

Jim and Linda were one of the shooting couples in the SWPL. The others were Paul and Cheryl Walker, parents of the actor that was killed and Claudia and Dave Wheeler. Dave was LAPD.
Very interesting! Thank you for sharing that insight.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts

Explains why Paul was also into guns. Wilson Combat has a photo somewhere of a gun they built for him. Pretty cool info you just added, thanks @Uncle Bob

Reactions: Frank Black

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Explains why Paul was also into guns. Wilson Combat has a photo somewhere of a gun they built for him. Pretty cool info you just added, thanks @Uncle Bob
I met Paul the actor when he was in diapers. Paul the actor got his good looks from Mom and Mom had a shooting rig that made you drool when she walked by. Linda was also very good looking, and Claudia Wheeler was one heck of a good shot.Sadly Paul Sr. sold his Septic tank business and went to work for his son. We used to give Paul Sr rations of shite" about his business.. ;)

All the shooting couples ended up divorced.

For the record, the single most consistent "master" shooter in the SWPL was Mickey Fowler. Only match he went down in flames was "The Mexican Defense" which was a tough match... it's all shooting on the move.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
This should actually be a separate drill and in all fairness Ken Hackathorne came up with it as the "church" drill, I just did it at 15 yards and modified it. The great thing about starting out right (even a lot of years ago), you build a skill set that isn't hard to maintain as long as you keep at it.

15 yards, start from the holster (concealed).

Draw and fire one round and it has to be a head shot. after 30 rounds, start with back to the target. the two low head shots were the first two starting with back turned (grunges). 51 rounds fired.The bolt has jacket splatter, it wasn't hit.

The last three shots were a Mozambique.

Pistol was my 9mm Range officer Champion (still stock). Still not as accurate as my 45acps.

1 church drill.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts