1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Deo Volente
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need recommendations on quality reliable AR-15 Magazines. Three choices would be great!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Lot of choices out there but I have a "lifetime" supply of Colt 20 round (not a fan of the 30 round) and for the 7.62 have a enough of the KAC metal magazines for the LE901's.

The plastic ones I am not a fan and never will be. They are made to be disposable in combat and cheap. If the ability to buy magazines is restricted the embrittlement issues of the plastic ones will become apparent in time. Metal you do not have to worry. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I've been happy with the BCM branded GI mags made by D&H. They're teflon coated and have the enhanced magpul follower. Right now, you can buy them directly from BCM for under $10 per mag. I've got another 10 pack of 30 rounders on the way as we speak.

Palmetto State armory occasionally has sales on D&H mags as well. Just make sure that you're getting the mags with the magpul follower.

I've also had good success with the Lancer mags. I'm not sure if they're worth the price though.

I've also run gen 2 pmags. (I haven't tried the gen 3.) They work. If they were cheaper, I would buy more.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
In regards to the newer gen 3 Pmags, my understanding is that the new features of the gen 3 are more important for using those mags in non-AR platforms. If you're running an AR-15, the gen 2 model is just fine.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,918 Posts
Magpul Pmags. When my son deployed to A-stan the first time he messaged me and asked for Pmags, he said that the guys that had been there told him that's what he needed and not to trust the metal GI mags. I sent him a dozen and those mags went on at least 6 combat deployments to the sandbox with him as well as several brief visits to I don't know where while he did I don't know what. His personal rifle is a Daniel Defense and to the best of my knowledge he's still running those mags in it.

·
Fondle his Baer
330 Posts
The only magazines which pass military testing are made by Okay industries. Also known as Colt magazines. Magpul/lancer/ all others are just fine but they all failed testing. I have broken several Magpul mags at the feed lips just from range use, nothing crazy. Never an Okay/colt mag.

·
Premium Member
27,452 Posts
USGI Pre Ban 20's and 30's.....I bought all the okay 20's and Butt Ugly 30's I could way back during the Ban.....Cleans the 30's up, new spring and followers and old school mag pulls.

Looks like 44 Mag has gone out of business.

Karsten
A damn good plan.....and those 20# mags are my favorite. They never jam, they never fail. Love em

·
Registered
390 Posts
The only magazines which pass military testing are made by Okay industries. Also known as Colt magazines. Magpul/lancer/ all others are just fine but they all failed testing. I have broken several Magpul mags at the feed lips just from range use, nothing crazy. Never an Okay/colt mag.
The military switched to Pmags for a reason. They are generally considered the gold standard. When a pmag break like you say you are well aware of its failure/ it being out of spec. One of the issues with GI mags is that you cannot always tell if a feed ramp is out of spec or bent. That can cause you to still use that mag and could end up causing a malfunction during an engagement. That's my understanding but I could be remembering that wrong

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts