AR Lower Question

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by rockittsled, Sep 27, 2020.

1. rockittsled

rockittsled Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2020
    So, if a member here bought a lower as part of a rifle build, and lucked into a better lower, and then chose to pass the karma on to a member here before listing on GB, he would have filled out the 4773 when he bought it as a rifle, even though unassembled, correct? Since it is serialized, and if he did FFL/FFL, could the purchaser fill out his 4773 for the still unassembled lower as a pistol, or is it forevermore a rifle?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I’ll let more knowledge members answer but I was always told once it’s a rifle it’s always a rifle. But a pistol can go to a rifle.

3. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    Dunno know, isn't there all that engraving stuff that has to happen? I've never given a rifle caliber pistol a second thought.

4. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Bought as a stripped lower it should be filed as “other” — it wasn't a rifle or a pistol at time of sale

blamo, 5pt56 and gps man like this.
  5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    It really goes back to EXACTLY how it left the manufacturer. If it left as a unassembled receiver, or JUST an assembled lower, WITHOUT a rifle upper, then it can be used as a pistol.

An unassembled lower receiver will not be logged as RIFLE. Do you still have the factory box the lower receiver came in?

ILED93, blamo, 5pt56 and 1 other person like this.
  6. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    This is well written. The issue that most people are unaware of is that if the lower left the manufacturer as a rifle and somewhere along the way it was separated, lower parts kit removed and put into a stripped lower configuration and then sold as a stripped lower, sold a 2nd time as a stripped lower (as an example) both FFLs would log it in as a receiver (3rd check box on a 4473) HOWEVER just because it was logged in as a receiver doesn't mean you can build it into a pistol IF it left the factory, originally as a rifle.

7. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    Understandable, but stripped lowers leave the factory as "multi" stripped lowers. Seems we always used Other as the designation.

5pt56 likes this.
  8. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Multi has to do with caliber and not type.
    I said receiver because its listed under the same check box as "other firearm" which is frame, receiver, etc.
    Screenshot_20200927-092551_Drive.jpg

9. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    You are correct.

10. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    A quick side road. Can I buy a lower AR 15 receiver from a fellow addict without going through an FFL?

11. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Rifle configuration can be purchased in person from a person in another state without an FFL. (traveling across state lines)

Pistol or stripped configuration falls under pistol and if in another state it requires FFL otherwise, in the same state and over 21 yrs old then you can without an FFL and in person.

You can't ship direct in any of the cases above.

Apollo99 likes this.
  12. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Only if you are in the same state, like Arizona, and there is no FFL transfer needed. They can not mail you one directly even in state, has to go to your FFL if he accepts from individuals. Also if the lower is originally a rifle lower you can buy it out of state in person and bring it home, just like a hunting rifle. FFL rules apply there too.

xerts1191 and 5pt56 like this.
  13. jlp

jlp Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Go over to AR15.com. This question pops up about as often as 9mm vs. .45 here. Makes no difference. If he want’s to build it as a pistol he can or vice versa.

14. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    As Far as upper and lower receiver go, I see they are coming back for sale from the major manufacturers and distributors. Just bought two uppers and two lowers last month for a couple of builds. The prices are coming back down. Even AR-15 parts are available, but prices are about 30% higher than before this plandemic.

15. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Yes, as long as both are in the same state

Mike A likes this.
  16. rockittsled

Apr 8, 2020
    THIS!
    This is why I asked the question.
    No purchase yet, wife has given permission for research into options, and this kinda sticks out as really, really good way to step on your crank with the ATF if you build your own.
    Also, I did mean to use receiver in the OP in my head instead of lower

17. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I build them all the time. You'll be fine building an AR pistol with a stripped lower if you buy it from a dealer, retail location, or someone that is trustworthy and bought it originally as a stripped lower (confirm). If you buy used stripped lowers, that is where you have to be cautious but only if building a pistol. Otherwise, buying pre-owned to build a rifle is no problem at all. You can also contact the company and give them the serial to confirm how it left their shop originally.

Assembling ARs is like adult legos and can be loads of fun.

rockittsled, ILED93 and Bender like this.
  18. rockittsled

Apr 8, 2020
    When she was in the USAF Res., she shot Expert while I shot Sharpshooter at Basic, so hers will probably be stock .223/5.56 M-16 looking for her comfort and familiarity while mine is up for choosing

I may have to go all "tacti-cool" to crutch my lack of skills.
    [​IMG]

5pt56 likes this.
  19. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Nice! Does it have one of those shoulder things that goes up? lol

20. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    My wife shoots very well also. Shot expert her 1st time with the M4.

rockittsled likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted