AR Lower Question

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by rockittsled, Sep 27, 2020.

1. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Just to summarize:
    • If the lower receiver was ever in a rifle configuration, you can’t make it into a pistol. Find out from manufacturer, where you are buying from and/or a long call to the ATF.
    • If it is a virgin lower, you can make a pistol out of it, then SBR it. And finally if you want to convert to a rifle you can do that. Just no bueno going from rifle to pistol.
    • No FFL necessary if it’s same state and your state law allows firearm transfers between private parties without a FFL.
    • Cannot ship unless going to a FFL, and you have to follow the guidelines on shipping a firearm.

rockittsled likes this.
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A note to add. If you purchase a new stripped lower receiver, keep the box. If you ever decide to part with it, you can very easily prove it’s original configuration.

rockittsled and 5pt56 like this.

3. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Pretty good. I'd add, No FFL necessary if its the same state OR a different state AND a rifle AND in person. People seem to forget you can buy a rifle out of state.

Wording of building a pistol and then SBR it. You can build a pistol and leave it as a pistol forever. You don't have to SBR it unless you want to put a stock on it and vertical grip. SB Tactical has some pretty good braces for an AR pistol.

Bender and rockittsled like this.
  4. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Isn’t the stipulation “adjoining” states?

5. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    5pt56

Are you the same user Id on ARFcom?

6. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    The adjoining state reference you mentioned above is the contiguous state act and it does allow you to buy (rifle or shotgun) with caveats.

What I was referring to is nationally....
    Let me add to this....You can buy a rifle or shotgun in any state provided the state laws allow a non resident to purchase and the store/FFL/Licensee allows it and you are legally able to own it. Some states allow out of state sales and some do not.
    For example, if you live in Ohio and travel down to Georgia, you can legally buy a rifle there however if you are in a business that doesn't allow it because of their business policy then you are out of luck...YMMV
    1. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  7. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Yes

8. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    That's not accurate. You cannot sell any gun in person to someone out of state. The "contiguous" state provision only applies to purchases from an FFL of a rifle or shotgun. If you're doing a private sale of a shotgun or rifle to an out of state individual legally, it has to be through an FFL.

9. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    @NIU2009 Do you know what year this became effective? This isn't how many border states have operated from a private party to private party transaction.

10. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I do not. I recently checked the CFR to verify because I was interested in a rifle just north of me, but it is in there. You should be able to find it with a little Google-fu.

11. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Hmm, okay. I'll do that and update this thread. I certainly don't want to provide incorrect info to anyone! Thanks!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted