AR Pistol.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Mike A, Jul 7, 2020.

1. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Unless you purchased and started with a stripped lower receiver. My son fills out 4473s all day and stripped lowers are typically listed as “receivers”

Edit: The correct entry on a 4473 for a stripped lower receiver would be “other”.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Wake27 and gun_fan111 like this.
  2. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    A decent round out of a 10.5” 5.56 gun is going to destroy **** all day over a .45. Size of the bullet really isn’t the only thing that matters and there are tons of decent rounds for short barreled ARs. M193 and M855 are far from decent in terms of terminal ballistics on people, regardless of barrel length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaijin likes this.

3. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    Which is why I always avoid shooting my AR pistol in front of an ATF agent...

Kip, Rick McC., Mike A and 1 other person like this.
  4. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    fieldgrade,
    I have a stripped receiver that I have owned for almost 20 years. I don't have the receipt anymore. How do I know if it was sold as "other"?

If I buy a new receiver can I just have the 4473 filled out as other?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    This is true, however a muzzle blast from a rifle cartridge in a short barrel is going to Blind you for
    a week. A pistol cartridge like a .44 mag in a 10" barrel like my Ruger SBH will produce
    much less flash. Not saying I now want a .44mag, I just think for a night time encounter
    0 or very little muzzle flash will work best for you.

I did ask the Builder if the muzzle flash was excessive, he has not shot it after dark. :confused: Ifin
    I was going to trust a firearm with my life, you bet I would put it through a real test &
    that would include shooting in the dark.

6. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    I love my 7.5” pistol but they are definitely LOUD!!! In one of my dumber moments I fired mine without hearing protection once. Definitely won’t do that again.

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    That is what I am told by someone who sells thirty guns a day if you buy simply a stripped lower receiver.

If you bought the stripped lower by itself as I did four years ago I don’t recall what is on the 4473 either, but I have the receipt documenting that’s all I bought from the FFL that day, so without the receipt I’m not sure what the best option is.

8. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    I bought an Anderson AM15 with a 7.5” barrel and it quickly became one of my keeper guns. It works great as a truck gun. I run mine with nothing but a foam pad on the buffer tube. It felt a little awkward at first but quickly became second nature to just use a cheek weld when firing. Also kept things very simple by just using flip up iron sights.

gps man likes this.
  9. nathanotis

nathanotis Active Member

Feb 6, 2020
    See, I've been told that over and over, but when I had a chance to shoot one, I didn't find it much worse than my 16". Granted, my rifle is pretty concussive with the VG6 Gamma brake on it. I guess it's relative. ANYTHING is gonna be earsplitting inside.

10. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Well most quality self defense rounds use a flash suppressant that is very effective...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    That’s crazy. I didn’t realize SEALS, Group, CAG, Marine elements, and a myriad of LEO we’re experiencing vision issues due to mk18’s.

It’s almost as if they are using the proper muzzle device and it mitigates flash. For the record, if you want 30 rounds of 45, pick a diff platform. You’re taking a system an turning it into a novelty gun in terms of lack of testing/r&d and wanting it to be life or death gun. The reason I’m a proponent of sticking with “mil-spec”(ish) platforms is NOTHING else comes close to volume of fire, abuse, and r&d that they do.

I advise you research the MK18 and it’s inception at NSWC Crane and why calibers/barrel length were decided.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    gaijin and Wake27 like this.
  12. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Unless your state has rules to the contrary all stripped and even complete lowers transfer as "other". They are not a rifle or a pistol until a barreled upper is placed on the gun and then a stock according to Federal Law. Depending on your state there maybe other restrictions.

It also does not matter if the FFL marked it as "other" on the 4473. A paper work error does not change the nature of what was transferred. For example if the dealer check pistol and you bought a shotgun that shotgun does not become a pistol because of the FFLs paperwork error.

As long as the lower have never had a rifle barrel and a stock assembled on to it then it is still other. Once you place an upper and a stock on to the receiver its status changes. It is my understanding that once you place a rifle upper and a stock onto the lower it is then a rifle forever and cannot be turned back into a pistol. A pistol however can be converted into a rifle and then turned back into a pistol.

Rick McC. likes this.
  13. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I believe that you are fine a long as it have never been assembled into a rifle. If you have the paperwork receipt showing that you bought a lower in NC it is "other" until you build it no matter what the FFL paper work says.

random84 likes this.
  14. random84

random84 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    Agree.

The title on paper doesnt matter anymore than the original caliber - the only stipulation is that is was not previously assembled into a "rifle" configuration.

So buying a factory S&W 16" then converting it is a no-go unless you buy a stamp. But stripped lowers it doesnt matter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
  16. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    In a 10.3”/11.5” 5.56 “pistol” I favor mk 262 77 gr OTM and 75 gr G.D.
    A Surefire SF3P or PA EFAB go a long way in controlling MF in a short barrel, 5.56 AR.

JNW and Wake27 like this.
  17. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Right about the time covid hit, I was going to buy the CMMG Banshee in .45acp, the color I wanted is still sold out. I thought it would compliment the 300blk Rattler and 1,000rds Magtech subsonic... 1000rds Gunbroker $455.jpg .All that and a bag of chips! HA, I crack me up Sig Rattler Holosun Suppressed.jpg

18. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    300 Blackout in 7-8” is a better choice, just sayin’ :D

gps man likes this.
  19. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    AR pistols have a place in your collection, and the discrete flash signature is one of its best features.

[​IMG]

20. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    Holy cow! Put a warcomp on that thing before you take your eyebrows off!!!!

monadh and JNW like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted