AR question... that $#^@# stock detent and spring.

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Blue Ridge, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    What does it do? Am I the only one that seems to bend the spring every other install? I have those "oh sh#t parts kits," but those are always the first to go. Why must that spring be under so much pressure? The rifles don't seem to function any differently with or without them being straight and properly aligned! What horrible thing would befall me if I shortened that spring a tad or otherwise came up with a mechanical "innovation?" I am so frustrated with that part of the design right now, it's inventor must have gone on to Ruger to make the Mark 3 safety upgrades later in his career. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

2. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    what I do is use a small flat head screwdriver to hold it in then push the cover down over it. tighten down the crown bolt and you should be good. For the front take down spring, in some kits I have had to snip a little off the spring and it works fine.

3. Drgracin72

Drgracin72 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    there is a guy on arf.com that sales a little kit, to tap the hole, and then a shorter spring, and a screw in plug so you dont have to worry about it.... might check it out.

4. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    That's what I'm talking about, thanks. I'll find it. Otherwise I just need to buy a drawer full of springs.

5. Drgracin72

Oct 9, 2011
    they can be a real pain in the ****.... if you cant find it, lemme know, and ill do some deeper searching, or figure out what the parts are youll need

6. Drgracin72

Oct 9, 2011
    it you cut that spring to short, you risk the safety disengaging to easily, and could disengage inadvertently.

7. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
    here is thread...
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=421849

scroll down for better pics. looks like they clip 1/8" off the spring.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    That spring tensions the take down pin detent.. The one in the pistol grip is for the safety.. IIRC.. Ron

9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep,.......cut 1/8" off and tap for the allen plug

10. Drgracin72

Oct 9, 2011
    you are correct. i got them mixed up. sorry for the incorrect information.

11. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Serious question, if I just threw that detent and spring in the garbage, what would happen? I have a spring bent at a 45 degree angle crammed in there now, and I can't tell a difference.

12. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Couple questions.....

Is the detent still in there or just a spring?

Why would you want to throw out the detent and spring? I would rather have the detents engaged to the takedown pin than a spring.

Maybe I am missing something?

13. IraG2362

Sep 3, 2011
    i pmed you, if you need a new set , hit me and I will mail them monday.

14. IraG2362

Sep 3, 2011
    I have learned as I am sure most of us here are, is to be prepared. With Ar's and I have built many i have keep many parts available now after losing /breaking parts when I need them most, lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My buddys site sells these which is a great start.

http://www.tacticaltoybox.com/dpms-ar15-field-repair-kit/
    http://www.tacticaltoybox.com/dpms-ar15-spring-kit/

and so you do not have to reload often, he has the surefire 60 rnd mags on sale for $94 http://www.tacticaltoybox.com/surefire-60-round-magazine/

15. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    They're both there, the spring is just badly bent. I had two parts kits, but I've already used the spring from both of them, too. I bend these things just about every time I change a stock. Thanks for the offer, Ira, just let me know how much to send back your way. I didn't see them in your online store, might as well get a spare in case I bend it. :lol:

Edit: I thought I'd posted this an hour ago! Thanks for the links.

16. IraG2362

Sep 3, 2011
    just send me a set when you do your next order.. email me your addy. [email protected]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted