AR Talk...help a brotha out

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Carolinaboy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Ok so I've got my couple pistols I've been wanting....for now. I want to get into an AR platform next. I love doing carbine drills with my buddy that has two up at his farm. I have an idea of what I want but not sure on what to get and how to go about getting it :lol:

Here is what I'm looking for: 5.56 16.5" Barrel. I want to use it for a carbine fun gun, but also slap some glass on it and lay the smack down on the yotes!

What I'd like to have:
    16.5" Full Flat Top Upper
    MBUSII Sights
    FDE Magpul Grip
    CTR Magpul Stock (FDE)
    MOE Handguard or similar Handguard (cut down on weight)
    Micro Aimpoint

Going for a Coyote Tan/Black Combo

I just don't know what makes a great upper or lower honestly. I have heard great things about BCM but that is just from all the Magpul Propaganda I read :biggrin1:

So what would y'all recommend?

Hit me with some Knowledge!

2. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    What makes a great upper/lower? I am not going to go there. All personal preference, and that damn chart floating around causes more arguments than anything else.

I say build what you want. It may not save you any dough, but it will be what you want.

3. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    :lol: I could understand that this is a very opinionated subject, but I'm wanting a quality gun and not break the bank. I like nice stuff, but not using it on a regular basis to defend my life. So I don't need to build a $2000 plus gun

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm about to get a Colt 6721.. Seems it would hit inside your window.. I think I'll like it.. Ron

5. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    You wouldn't spend 2K on a build from what you described.

Plenty of good rifles out there. I guess what I am trying to say is people get obsessed with that chart and think if you deviate from it, you get a POS rifle.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  6. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    I build my own and they perform flawlessly.. you can build a good gun these days for about $700 if you shop around.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I just take the easy way out because I'm old and lazy.. These guys know their stuff.. Cheers.. Ron

8. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    That's what I'm shooting for, I'm thinking about making a trip up to Palmetto State Armory and see how there products compare

My biggest thing is picking what lower and upper. Honestly I could care less what most people think. If it works for me than it'll be just right

9. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    my thoughts exactly. I know the guy who made the "list" good guy but I still would rather build my own. PSA has everything you need, you can build your lower and slap one of their uppers on or buy a stripped upper and the parts and assemble it your self. Not hard once you have the tools.Feel free to PM or email me with questions. I would also check with AIM surplus .. great to deal with good prices and great customer service.

10. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Honestly, you aren't going to feel one bit of difference from one milspec lower to the next. I have grabbed a couple of Spikes at around a hundred bucks. It got expensive from there for me, but I wanted a great barrel and upper. You can buy stuff like the Magpul accessories and optic used/as new from Calguns if you keep checking in. Those guys are upgrading/swapping stuff out all the time and I've found some real scores. They get snapped up, so I keep that and elitedealseeker going when I'm hunting new stuff.

11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Think of it like this.........

Do you want a Buick for $700, (PSA), or a Cadillac for just under $1k(Colt)?
    Buy once cry once.......or build your own, with a GOOD barrel, bolt carrier group & trigger!

12. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    This....
    OR,
    Get a Colt,or a BCM(Bravo Company) AR.

With the Colt,you have a variety of choices,and it has great resale value IF you have to get your money back for another project.
    I personally like the LE 6920 or LE6940.CDNN has been stocking both at great prices.
    LMT makes some nice rifles as well.but you start going north of 1500 pretty quick.Then,your in Noveske territory.http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=152

DAT85

13. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    So are y'all saying use Colt parts or buy a complete colt rifle?

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Nah.. I think those "in the know" are saying you have a number of options, some based on a decision to buy or build and still others based on your price range. Some of these guys here know their AR stuff and can help you out if you decide to build. Given that money is not an issue for me, I choose to hit the middle rung (range) with a complete Colt for my entry into the AR world. I can see all kind-a assembling, building and such at a later point in life (retirement) just not right now. There are some pretty good deals right now on complete mid-range (cost) rifles and if you have say $1100-$1200 to throw at the deal, you can be banging away at the range in three days.

I guess it's all about which you have the most of, money or time.. Anyhow, have fun with it.. Cheers.. Ron

15. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    I mean I'd like to keep it under $1000, depending on the optic I know I can go over that easily.

But I want to shoot just shy of $1000

16. Sean MacTavish

Sean MacTavish Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Palmetto State Armory

A suggestion, SC boys from Columbia. palmettostatearmory.com Also, they have opened a shop/range in Okatie at the back of Riverwalk. Peace, out from Charleston.

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Last week I stopped at J Floyds (sports place in Sevierville) and they had $100 off all rifles. A DPMS for $699, Del-Ton for $599, S&W for $799, etc... That's pretty much the low end of the complete rifle spectrum.

Then there's something like this for $1099 with optics.. http://palmettostatearmory.com/2557.php

My understanding is that you could assemble a good carbine for $700-$750. Several guys with experience, including Ira here on the forum, told me pretty much the same thing. Optics cost money.. That's a whole "nuther" game. Personally I would spend as much as I could on a rifle and worry about the optics later. That's my plan. I like shooting irons anyhow.. Cheers.. Ron

18. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    1. In NC building a Tan rifle is not practical. Is it just to play with, or for protection as well of life and home?
    2. OD Green/ Black/ Foliage are better suited for this area. Tan sticks out like a big bullseye in your hands.
    3. All Lowers are made by a few companies for the most part. You can do just fine with a Spikes lower, even a blem.
    You can do that for under a $100 and pick your roll mark, be it the spider/ Zombie/ etc
    4 You can buy an upper on a deal if your just wanting something to play with. If you want certain parts I would say build it. I think your budget with optic would be more realistic at $1500, Iron Sights work just fine. Depends once again on your use.

THese come in stock a lot, some are out now. But you can use that notify. You won't find much more of a deal than that.
    Spikes Spider
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSL&name=Spike's+Tactical+AR15+Lower+Receiver&groupid=53

Calico Jack
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSLCJack&name=Spike's+Tactical+Multi.+Cal.+Calico+Jack+AR+Receiver&groupid=53

zombie
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSLZOMBIE&name=Spike's+Tactical+Multi.+Cal.+Zombie+AR+Receiver&groupid=53

Punisher
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSLPUNISHER&name=Spike's+Tactical+Multi.+Cal.+Punisher+AR+Receiver&groupid=53

and the people who make the spikes stuff

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...o+LOW15+Stripped+AR+Lower+Receiver&groupid=53

That's the best deal there. And shipping is free. But if you go with Spikes you do have a bigger resale market. IN other words when you get tired of it or want to build a nicer one, etc, you will get more response off Spikes than any other in that price range. And your only talking a few more bucks than Palmetto. Who probably gets the same place to make em.

Most of this, like I said, comes in stock very frequently.
    There are other places but you will love the service there and the free shipping is nice too.

You can do a lot of things with those roll marks too. If you really want ot use the Dark Earth, which looks nasty and tan, you can do your own Colorfill on it, some model type paint will do just fine.

Here is a Red one I did, you can do OD or anything you want

[​IMG]

Here is a buddy's FDE
    STA77570.jpg

I can't find my photos of the OD one but it was my favorite

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  19. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    This is Foliage, But not the best colors to show, this is my least favorite fill. But the color is not bad[​IMG]

20. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Colt 6920's are selling for less than $1,000 these days. I don't believe there is a better deal to be had in the AR market right now.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted