AR15 geissele or Timney competition?

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by duketbrd88, Jun 7, 2020.

1. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm also on the Geissele train.

SSA-E or SD-C's in my AR's

JNW, duketbrd88 and 1911 crazed like this.
  2. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I have a 3 lb Velocity and really like it as well. I just added a 2stage LaRue to another gun, and in dry fire it seems like a heck of a trigger for the $. I still need to get it to the range and see how it performs live.

duketbrd88 and 1911 crazed like this.

3. Expert Amateur

Expert Amateur Active Member

Oct 7, 2019
    The MBT-2 is arguably unbeatable for value in a 2-stage trigger. I wish they had the straight bow when I bought mine. But at $80, I should simply get another. It completely changes the character of the rifle compared to a mil spec trigger.

DWdude, Whiten and duketbrd88 like this.
  4. Expert Amateur

Oct 7, 2019
    I’ll answer for others consideration. The ALG can’t compete with the LaRue MBT which is only slightly more and largely the equal of comparable Geisseles.

Whiten likes this.
  5. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Looks like I'm going to have to try the larue, just to try it. Can't hurt having an extra trigger around.

Every review is positive!

1911 crazed likes this.
  6. Expert Amateur

Oct 7, 2019
    Even if you don't like it, you can sell it for close to what you paid for it. In fact, due to the wait times, you might be able to sell it with no loss. I have not tried the MBT-1, but it doesn't have as favorable reviews as the two-stage. But they may have made some changes; I don't know. I would like to try it.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  7. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Last week received the two MBT-2 triggers I ordered, easy process, fast shipping. They are for the DPMS Recon's (5.56 & .308) not had a chance for range firing and testing but I'm pretty sure they are going to be a huge improvement over factory. Eighty bucks each. If you buy 3 at same time they are $75 each... LaRue Triggers.jpg

8. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    Awesome! Looks good

9. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    Think I want to try the single stage. I've always had 2 stage.

10. Expert Amateur

Oct 7, 2019
    Duke, read the reviews on the LaRue site for the MBT-1S. Quite a few people feel there are far better single stage triggers for close to the same price. Many really like it, but it doesn't receive the rave reviews that the 2-stage one does.

11. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    I will, just been looking at the 2 stage.

Thanks

12. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    Sold out on the single stage, of course.

Anyone have one?

13. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    I've been following this thread with interest. Could someone point me to a primer or explain the pros & cons of 1-stage vs. 2-stage & curved vs. flat?

Thank you.

14. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    How about this, buy an SAA-E....shoot it 100 rounds. If you don’t like it, let me know, I’ll buy it for what you paid for it.

**I deleted the rest of my other comments as I seemed to have pissed off a member and cobbled up your thread.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    duketbrd88, FWoo45 and rhsth4 like this.
  15. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I have two SSA-E's. One in a AR15, the other in my G2 .308. To me, part of the consideration should be reliability should things go south. The Geisselle's are marketed as for the designated marksmanship personnel in a military unit. I know the military tests the **** out of their proposed purchases before taking a step to equip marksmen with this trigger.
    Don't want to bash any trigger out there. Buy what you want. But to me reliability is a big factor in what I use in my weapons. I have a Timney trigger in a Remington 700, that don't hold a candle to the SSA-E triggers. Finest triggers I have ever purchased.

FWoo45, Bender and 1911 crazed like this.
  16. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Primary Arms - CMC Single stage 2.5# pull weight - self contained true drop-in - This is one awesome trigger. IMHO, easily beats the SSA-E trigger!

duketbrd88 likes this.
  17. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Wow! You must not do much rifle shooting. My hunting rifles I move up to about 24 ounces but my target rifles are set between 8 to 16 ounces. My Anschutz 22lr has a 5098 trigger in it set at 3 ounces.

So a 2.5# AR trigger is heavy as hell to me! You just have to learn how to shoot light triggers. I'll bet your 1911's don't have a 6-7# trigger do they?

18. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I get the price consideration. If your vote isn't Geisselle, with cost not being a factor, you either smoke meth or are just trying to defend cheaping out. I've tried most, 2 stage will always be the HSNM, and single stage will be the SSP. The SSA-E is a great trigger for the $. A 2.5# single stage trigger in a fighting gun is dumb. IMO.

19. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    FWOO, they make the CMC's in different weight pulls and in single or 2 stage. I think the heaviest that they have is 4.5#.

No one said anything about this being in a battle gun, believe me, I'm 68 & have used my fair share of battle firearms! This 2.5# trigger just happens to be in my 24" heavy barrel AR (10.5# total weight) that I shoot from a bi-pod when Prairie Dog shooting.

Before becoming semi disabled, I used to build AR's and I've probably installed 20+ Geisselle SSA-E triggers. My biggest bitch is the inconsistent pull weights. And it has nothing to do with the trigger itself, It's what company built the lower receiver and the specs they used for the trigger pin holes.

Most all AR builders buy their receivers from a company that may supply 6 OR 8 manufactures with the same receiver but with their own logo. The majority are fine but when you get one that the pin holes are just 2 thousandths off, it can & does change the pull weight of the Geisselle. On self contained triggers in their own sealed case, you don't have that problem.

20. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Well sir, since you're the authority on everything, I'll just leave this thread to you to help our fellow addicts. This isn't the first time that you've done this exact same thing. Good luck to you!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted