1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey addicts,

I've never had the opportunity to handle a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing but have always been interested in one.

What purpose do they serve if any. A fuller grip, longer finger to trigger reach, point of impact, etc? Or do they do nothing or serve any purpose except personal preference? Thinking about it in my mind, seems like it could possibly make your POI higher. Is this so?

For guys that have shot with one, what's your personal opinion of one? Would you purchase another?

And last, if I wanted to buy one to try out, who's would you recommend and do you have to change out any other parts internally? Thanks guys.

Jim D.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,807 Posts
They just feel right to me. Traditional looks is a bonus. Smith & Alexander sells them. I purchased mine from Ed Brown. Very pleased. You will need to swap the internals (spring & plug) from your original MSH into your new arched MSH. Best of luck!

7CD8B7BD-B8C9-4459-B81F-898D5A2ECCBF.jpeg

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I use them for two reasons.
1 they fill in the grip better for my XXL hands
2 more natural point of aim for me. with a flat msh 1911's point low for me.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Not to mention shooting comfort as well. With my hands, the base of the grip tends to dig into the bottom of my palm. The sharp angle of the traditional 1911 is not friendly to my hand where the arched mainspring housing is, that is until . . . . Stan Chen introduced the SI Magwell.

I dare say the SI magwell is quickly overtaking the arched mainspring housing as my back strap of choice.

Z

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
this is one reason my CZs feel so good in the hand, especially the shadow 2 series.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also prefer an arched mainspring housing.

So much so that when I commissioned a full Officer build from Gritus Precision (pictures soon, I think...), the only part I sent to be included was an arched MSH that I had butchered on a belt grinder, to be cleaned up and stippled. After some trial and error, I found the angle to be juuuust right.

An arched MSH does two things for me: it fills my palm in the right place without the sharp edge, and it brings the muzzle up to point more naturally for me off the draw. I have "medium" sized hands, I guess, and I started out shooting Glocks, so the slight change in grip angle at the back of the grip feels more natural. Those who started shooting CORRECTLY may disagree.

Also, I just like the "classic" look of an arched MSH better.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,328 Posts
A long trigger and an arched mainspring housing fit me just right! Encourages a high grip too.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I like round butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, that when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waste and a round thing in your face......sorry guys got a little carried away.

·
14,799 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
the Arched MSH along with the short Trigger were 2 of the US Army mandated changes to the 1911 resulting in the 1911A1. The Arched MSH resulted in a better "pointability" of the piece and the short Trigger was a better fit for smaller hands

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have and like both but the arched is my preference. I recently switched my Les Baer to one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
14,799 Posts
Reactions: gps man
1 - 20 of 27 Posts