1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so i have a question Are dan wessons 1911s american made or do they get made over seas then hand fit together in america?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,606 Posts
Made in the USA, if you consider New York state part of America.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made in the USA, if you consider New York state part of America.
So they don’t get the frame and slide and stuff from like japan or some communist area and then just fit them in new york? Thats what I thought some guy was trying to tell me they come from korea lol

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,606 Posts
So they don’t get the frame and slide and stuff from like japan or some communist area and then just fit them in new york? Thats what I thought some guy was trying to tell me they come from korea lol
Nope, they're all American and have been since Bob Serva resurrected the Dan Wesson name years before CZ bought him out. Whoever your guy is has no idea what he's talking about.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It has been very strongly implied by more than one industry professional that DW's frames and slides come from an overseas supplier. South Korea (which is not communist, OP) has been mentioned.

This to me is in no way confirmative of what you heard, but I don't think any of us who aren't DW employees or far enough inside the industry to definitively know can say one way or the other.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It has been very strongly implied by more than one industry professional that DW's frames and slides come from an overseas supplier. South Korea (which is not communist, OP) has been mentioned.

This to me is in no way confirmative of what you heard, but I don't think any of us who aren't DW employees or far enough inside the industry to definitively know can say one way or the other.
The rumor for years, repeated by certain “industry professionals”, was that DW used RemSport frames and slides. That was officially denied by DW:

Keith DW said:
The internet is a wonderful thing... I have seen Remsport brought up so many times over the years it sin't funny.

We have never gotten frames from them all of our frames are our own and made to our prints.
Of course, he still doesn’t say where exactly they come from.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The rumor for years, repeated by certain “industry professionals”, was that DW used RemSport frames and slides. That was officially denied by DW:

Of course, he still doesn’t say where exactly they come from.
Yep. And Keith probably can't say who they source from for legal reasons. Point is, it remains an unknown and should be acknowledged as such.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are the one that asked the question. What was the context of the conversation that made you question it?
cause some guy told me dont get a dan wesson get remington or Springfield and all other named guns saying they’re atleast american made! Unlike dan wesson Which they are not. Built in america yes but the parts are not made in america so i was curious if dan wesson is 100% american or 90% or 25% or 0% its so hard to get constructive stuff when you ask a question about a certain company cause i asked if dan wessons are worth the extra money and all i got was fan boys and haters lol so both sides are bias

·
Registered
287 Posts
cause some guy told me dont get a dan wesson get remington or Springfield and all other named guns saying they’re atleast american made! Unlike dan wesson Which they are not. Built in america yes but the parts are not made in america so i was curious if dan wesson is 100% american or 90% or 25% or 0% its so hard to get constructive stuff when you ask a question about a certain company cause i asked if dan wessons are worth the extra money and all i got was fan boys and haters lol so both sides are bias
Regardless of where the frames are made, DW produces their own small parts at their shop in New York.

Keith DW said:
Hammer, Sear, Sear spring: match set by Cylinder & Slide (confirmed by Glen @ DW) (Old information. Now our own)
Hammer Strut: Ours
Trigger:Greider
Barrel: Kart? Ours
firing pin: Ours
ejector:Ours
slide stop:Ours
Barrel Bushing and Plug: EGW
Grip Safety:Ours
Safety:Ours
Springs: Wolf & ISM
Original thin Grips: VZ
Mag release:Ours
sights: DW or Heinie? Ours

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I consider myself neither a fan boy or hater! FWIW
I've owned DW that were built during the Bob Serva years and since CZ bought them out .
Every one has been nicely made. My opinion FWIW is they are the best production made 1911 currently available.
To get better you have to go up the next step to a semi custom built gun.
Again FWIW
to my knowledge they are 100% US sourced and made. Based on being in the business or at least closely associated with it for years

Summary:
If you like one of their models, buy it you'll be pleased!

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
I hope they are All American but I don’t care. They shoot well, mine has performed flawlessly on nothing but reloads and the CS is outstanding.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Lots of shade tossed around by shady sources. I had one lemon from DW but they replaced it. I was so impressed with the way Keith handled it I ordered a 38 Super, which turned out great. I don’t know where the parts come from and I’m not sure it matters, as long as they are quality. The care put into how they are assembled, and parts fit, makes the difference. I love my Colts and Nighthawk, and have Springfield as well, but the DW’s seem to hit the sweet spot for my expectation set. I will likely buy more in the fullness of time.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts